How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

ability to join meeting by calling me instead of using computer mic & speakers

Like with Skype PSTN Conferencing, let me join the meeting by calling me instead of using computer mic & speakers. The way Teams works today, I have to manually mute my mic and my speakers, and then call out to my phone. It would also be nice to be able to select from a list of frequently called numbers, so I don't have to type in the whole number every time.

174 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Wietze shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

30 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Larry Heinrichs commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Have to agree with all regarding how Skype handled this. Pretty ideal.
    Default when I click Join was to call my cell.

• Drew commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Call me is great because then you are identified in the conference by name instead of by some phone number. However when using the phone at all for conferencing, Teams needs to AUTO-Mute the computer speaker AND computer mic for all participants using a phone. If this is not done you will get a horrible echo and feedback loop.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Call me is in Teams. When joining a meeting select Other Join Options and select Phone Audio. You can then enter any valid phone number

I accidentally deleted my speaker driver off my work laptop. I can't reinstall the driver because my work laptop wont allow. When I joined a call today Teams identified I don't have speakers and asked me if it wanted to call me!

Simple fix, delete your speaker driver!

• Jennifer Batoy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would like audio by phone but linked to computer video, rather than displaying the dial-in icon when speaking in meetings. Thanks!

• Chris K commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We've seen screenshots of a future release of Teams that has this functionality on the meeting entry screen. Just not sure when it will be released to all of us.

• Jeff Pedneau commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This to me is a deal-breaker when it comes to using Teams. When it's time for a meeting, it HAS to be able to call ME instead of me fiddling around with my phone after I've finally found the dial-in number and PIN.

I have no microphone on my PC, nor am I likely to get one, so the lack of a decent "call me" support in the app is preventing me from ever wanting to use Teams. Since our company uses both Teams and Skype for Business, our group almost always uses Skype for meetings because it's just better.

But add the "call me back" feature for meetings, and you'll have jumped just about the last hurdle in me actually being happy to use it.

• Ben commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This feature would begin to put Teams at parity with WebEx. I also agree with Diane Atkins POV on storing call-back numbers.

• Joe Ketcherside commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

got to be able to have it call me so I can use my phone - I never want to be on my computer speakers and mic, and don't always have a headset when I travel. Which is all the time. This would be a show-stopper in me recommending this to my company. Willing to try it for a while to see if this change gets made but at some point it would kill the deal.

• Diane Atkins commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We also need to be able to store call back numbers. It is inefficient to have to type in my number for every meeting. I have two numbers that are stored in Skype or in Webex but Teams meetings does not have a store option and I have to type the call back number in everytime.

• Michael Wangerin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

WebEx has had this feature for years; this is very important and one of the reasons we have resistance to adoption of Teams in our organization. Also, if you choose a "Call Me" button option and Teams calls you it should automatically mute PC speakers and mic.

• Fred commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We requested help on the dial in functionality in ticket 14312420 and were advised to place specific functionality requests in this thread. Here they are.
    When the host has audio conferencing:
    1. Place the call me option front and center before joining the meeting - a choice between pc audio, audio off, or dial in/call me. If they choose dial in or call me, disable any pc audio
    2. When the user selects call me - remember their number, or offer their number that is in their 0365 account mobile number record.
    3. When an attendee uses call me make the mute microphone icon actually control their phone microphone
    4. If a user joins both on a pc with audio muted, and connects using teams mobile, can the pc meeting microphone icon mute their teams audio from the phone?

• Fred Taute commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Following on to MichaelF's comment - even if you find the call me functionality, it is still deficient. If you are a Teams user and you have populated your profile with your mobile number, and you try to use the call me, it does not present you with an option to dial that number. You have to enter it from scratch every time.
    here are some screenshots and other findings from our testing.

• MichaelF commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have the call me back feature enabled on our Teams tenant, but it is hidden away under the tiny little "i" icon barely visible in the right corner. Of course it is only present for people who have Microsoft conferencing enabled on their O365 account (which is fine). But not having Teams prompt you at meeting join for the option to have a call back is a TERRIBLE user experience.

People unfamiliar with MS Teams and migrating from other options like Skype for Business, Zoom, WebEx and are all familiar with Call Me Back being presented right at the start of the meeting, are so frustrated that they can't do call me back in a Teams meeting. Yet there it is hidden away in the tiny "i" icon and we have no way to tell them because their device doesnt support VOiP or their badnwidth is so poor (African Continent - global company) that we can't communicate how to find the Call me back feature.

Does this User voice even work or matter any more? Seems like there is no curation of these critical items anymore, and no one from MS even commenting to give us hope that some of these feature might be coming in the near future. Is MS too focused on making changeable backgrounds and Whiteboard webcams that they can't fix this most basic of all current meeting platforms. The usability of this feature is currently UNUSABLE!!!

• Fred Taute commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We also absolutely have to have this if we are going to successfully displace webex.

• McMike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

MS Folks, i'm sure there is a reg key or something where we can put this number and make 'call back \ disable PC' the default choice. Please give us a solution. This is brutal when I spend hours on calls all day and cant have audio enabled on my PC to mutli-task.

I just had a rocky start to a meeting assuming this functionality was there. My onboard audio is finicky. I then spend a long time trying to get this to work, assuming that it should of course be a feature and I must be missing something...

• Joe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Totally in agreement with this. We need this before we can roll Teams out to a broader audience

• Jamy Mulder commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We also have business units refusing on making the move from Skype to Teams until this feature is added. I thought Skype and Teams were at parity... Why would this be missing?

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base

You are about to visit the UserVoice site for Microsoft Teams

We have partnered with UserVoice, a 3rd party service providing public discussion forums for product-specific feedback.

By clicking "Continue to UserVoice" you agree to UserVoice's Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.