How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Turn off message preview in notification toast

Currently, when I receive a message, a preview of this message is displayed in the notification toast. As we will be using Teams at work, it would be great for privacy if I had the option to turn off these previews, so the notification toast will just say "New Message from XY"

190 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

13 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Kieran Wade commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm going to ask my teammates to register for this forum and vote for this idea too, since so many of them have complained to me about this and asked me if I know the option to turn these messages previews off :)

• Alyssa commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is so important! My options at work are either to not have privacy or to turn off notifications and potentially miss things.

• a_nak commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is very important! we need to be able to control what content may randomly pop up on desktop alerts.

• Weiyang Sun commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't like to use Teams desktop version because of this.

We need privacy during customer meetings!

• T-Rex commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please allow this to be turned off. It also has another bug to it where it will keep an orphaned window up that there is no way to get rid of without killing the entire app

• Parker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Teams should absolutely enhance the message notification options as they seem very limited. Ultimately, I want a more discrete notification for chat messages than is offered today.

a pop-up without message preview or have the icon in the tray bounce or glow maybe?

• Wimmo van Geldrop commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There is an important difference:
    - New message in a chat: Message preview (with content) is shown as a toast
    - New message in a conversion: Message preview is not shown (only '<name> mentioned you in team x' as a toast), there is no message content shown
    - This suggestion is to turn off the new message notification (toast) completely

• Edison Seas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

this so urgent, I receive so many messages that I literally can't interact with anything located at the left bottom of the screen, closing the messages don't help cause other come in

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please instate this feature! Every other message app provides the ability to hide previews to prevent dreaded shoulder-surfing. So far, I really like teams, but this functionality is an absolute necessity, and the lack thereof currently is putting a damper on my enthusiasm for the product. Thank you!

Feedback and Knowledge Base