Join Meeting Button
When I schedule a meeting as a Skype Meeting it adds a "Join Meeting" button to the Outlook reminder that pops up. That button does not exist when I schedule a Teams Meeting. It should.
Without that button I have to double click to go into the calendar item, locate the hyperlink to "Join Teams Meeting", click that, which opens my web browser, and then the web browser tries to launch the Teams app, but first asks me for confirmation, which requires another click. You've added several layers of unnecessary clicks which impede my ability to join a meeting.
Just include the "Join Meeting" button in the reminders that are generated for a Teams Meeting the same way the button is there in a reminder for a Skype meeting.
Clicking on the join button in an Outlook reminder takes you to the browser to launch Teams today. The work to bypass the browser and directly launch Teams is being worked on. We’ll update when we have more details.
The Join button is already available in Outlook reminders if the meeting appointment is created directly in Teams. However, it is missing when the meeting is created in Outlook desktop as a Teams meeting and the embedded link in the calendar item notes is clunky to get connected from.
Any progress? Been almost 8 months for a seemingly simple issue. Also this didn't happen with Skype. #OneForwardTwoBack
They look to have fixed this. My browser asked if I wanted to default to opening in the app, when I selected yes, then the browser still pops up, but then continues on to auto-open the app without any dealy.
@Alex (Teams Engineering, Microsoft Teams) responded - January 14, 2020
"Clicking on the join button in an Outlook reminder takes you to the browser to launch Teams today. The work to bypass the browser and directly launch Teams is being worked on. We’ll update when we have more details."
Where will you update?
For anyone that wants to make it easier for users to join a Teams meeting through a browser, I finally figured out a way. It will not ask them for a choice between downloading the desktop app or use the browser and takes then right to the browser. Super easy to join now with less clicks.
1. Create the event
2. Copy the attendee Teams link
3. Paste it in the address bar of the browser and hit enter
4. Cancel the “Open Teams” pop up box
5. Click “Watch on the Web instead”
6. Immediately copy the re-directed link in the browser address bar before it opens the new page
7. Send that link to whoever needs it and it will take then right to the browser bypassing the questions
Hope that helps!
Stefan Nannings commented
any update on this?
So this issue was brought up in January. It is now July and the problem is not solved. And, this issues also occurs with GoToMeeting. I suspect this issue is related to something with Outlook and not Teams or GoToMeeting.
Abdul Jaleel commented
This should be fixed as soon as possible. Team users are confused about how this tool is working. Some time it is launching Teams desktop Application and another time it opens through web.
There is no Join option in teams for meeting organizer.When meeting is clicked in calendar ,edit meeting window is shown .No option to join the meeting.
seems to be in progress (see link) ?
I am running Teams 1.3.00.12058 and Outlook 2004 Build 12730.20352 Click to Run. The Outlook reminder for my Teams meeting has a Join Online button.
Please fix this. It is very annoying. From Outlook, whatever you click on it should open in the Teams app and not go to the browser first.
Josh Bailey commented
Same question as the last 3 users - any update on the fix. Not having the Outlook reminder "Join" button go straight to opening the Desktop Teams app is a huge productivity loss and annoying. Per @Bruce Hartley, please combine the threads to get more accurate numbers of people who consider this a top priority. Thanks.
Sridhar Dooshety commented
Do we have any tentative time lines for this feature to available for us to consume.
Darrin McCarthy commented
My company has recently rolled out Teams as a replacement for SFB. While it might seem a small issue, the company's average number of meetings per day is 2.6. If all 17,000 employees spend an extra 3 seconds opening a meeting, we lose 36.8 HOURS of productivity EVERY DAY. That's almost 5 FTEs. Fix this problem. It's more than just an annoyance.
Bruce Hartley commented
I have a number of comments about this ...
1 - There are other posts just like this - they should be combined - I replied to one and it's not this one and there were another 84+ people at the time who up-voted this exact thing. It's my take a moderator of the MS Teams User Voice should combine them into one large one in order to accurately gauge the number of people requesting this. I can tell you my entire IT organization at my place wants this.
2 - I appreciate the workarounds posted - but I have to agree with the sentiment of one person who wanted some pretty drastic action taken, I'll voice it a bit softer here to help out - when one is designing a replacement system for a previous system, one should try to make sure that all of the features are covered OR that there are plans for implementing that feature. I do think that this was a huge miss by the MS Teams design team and I'm going to include a picture that I made for this same issue on another thread showing the difference between the two.
3 - Thank you Alex for the update on this issue and that it's being worked on. I do like Teams and I think in some cases it's an improvement over SfB, but it still needs some "finish" in order to get companies to switch.
My Join Teams Meeting hyperlink no longer appears as of this week. Is this related to the work you are doing and how do I now invite participants to my meetings?
depending on the source of the link (and whether or not Teams decided it's actually a hyperlink or not, but that's a separate ~rant~ issue), I get the browser step.
it seems if I copy the link and post it into (any) Chat or Channel, I can click the link in my own message. When I rapid fire clicks, it opens a browser. When the link is posted by someone else or eg a bot, it _can_ take me to a browser.
Why is this so inconsistent?? It working 70% of the time just makes me more frustrated with the whole thing 😠
* avoid browser step with different link `msteams://` https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/555103-public/suggestions/39932785-add-option-to-automatically-join-a-teams-meeting-a
* pre-meeting join screen https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/555103-public/suggestions/40177516-join-meeting-directly-upon-clicking-join-in-team
* meeting button https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/555103-public/suggestions/32413297-join-meeting-button
* double click on meeting to join https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/555103-public/suggestions/33917149-double-click-meeting-entry-within-meetings-sideb
* android - join meeting from chat/channel https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/908686-bug-reports/suggestions/40113394-can-t-join-meeting
* customise meeting invite text https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/555103-public/suggestions/40330231-allow-customized-join-meeting-message
* Join button stays active even if you've joined a meeting https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/555103-public/suggestions/35541154-rejoin-meeting-should-be-a-button-and-not-just-joi
* more easily switch meeting (un-join/join) https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/913786-microsoft-teams-free/suggestions/40185955-facility-to-un-join-one-meeting-and-join-other