How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Specific search

Search inside specific chats with other people and the ability to jump to the message so that the surrounding messages can be read and not just that message.
not all searches can be pinpointed like a phone number. I remember the context but not the specific message. I can find the message in the general search then have to go into that chat and scroll to that date. Searching within a specific chat with another individual would be much more useful than searching all my chats.

436 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Email shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

53 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • [Deleted User] commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Now this is really insane. I need to find some info from 4 months ago. I was able to find my question to other person. But how do I get to his message which is just below my question? Even though I found my question in search I have to scroll all message 4 moths ago. I've been doing this for last 10 minutes. Any better option? Also how come this is not the most requested feature? Because of this I'm trying to avoid using Teams with people who use other communication channels.

• Josh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In other words, when in a specific chat window, you should be able to use a find or find-next function.

Having the message search function just display each message result in a giant list on the left in seriously ****.

• Joanna commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

very difficult now that we have been using teams for so long.

when something is found in the search - go to the chat - should take you directly to that message found in the search in the chat thread . then you can scroll up or down to see other context of that topic.

• Julie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree with all the commenters below. Search is USELESS without taking us to the context of the thread, which is the point of looking for a topic. Finding the paragraph with the wording does us no good. We need to be taken to that section of the chat. OR - separate out chats by day! It's ridiculous that chats with coworkers (which I have every day) are in one enormous chat.

• Stryker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please fix this. It's very difficult to have to scroll back through older messages because the search doesn't take me to the exact date/time the conversation took place.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The comment from SCooper sums up exactly what I wanted to post. I want to see the responses to the specific comment I do the search for.

• Greg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1 for this. Search is of limited used if I can't back to a past conversation about some topic unless the keyword happens to be mentioned in every single message.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Fix "go to chat" in search results. If results are old, link takes you to the bottom of the search, rather than to the date/time/result that contains the text you're searching for.

In other words, if I have a result a few months back in my search and click on "go to chat," I get taken to the bottom of the relevant chat and then have to scroll up to find what I searched for.

• J. Davis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

this is insane - why would it only show you the one message containing your search term but not take you to the thread where it appears? It's useless for a record for decisions made, etc., which is exactly why we use chat at work to begin with. Very annoying!

• SCooper commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can search my messages in teams and it finds all instances of the words that I am searching. However it sure would be great if when I clicked "Go to Chat" it actually took me to the correct place in the conversation where it found the search terms so that I can get the context of the whole conversation pertaining to what I've searched. Instead it just takes me to the last messages from the person. This is not helpful. When I search I am usually researching past information NOT wanting to start up a new conversation.

• Scott Francis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Admin says this is in the product, but it is not.

Scenario: A colleague drops a file named "Important-File" in my chat.
    Later, after I forget where I saw that file, I search for "Important" - there are no results.
    So... Teams does NOT have this... search capability in chats does not include files.

To be more specific:
    By 'Search capability in chats':
    I would like to see the Search results include names of files that have been shared with me in Chat.

• Mark commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Search or Find capability in chats

I'd like to be able to have search and find next capability possibly using (Ctrl-F) in chats.

1 3 Next →

Feedback and Knowledge Base

You are about to visit the UserVoice site for Microsoft Teams

We have partnered with UserVoice, a 3rd party service providing public discussion forums for product-specific feedback.

By clicking "Continue to UserVoice" you agree to UserVoice's Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.