How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Specific search

Search inside specific chats with other people and the ability to jump to the message so that the surrounding messages can be read and not just that message.
not all searches can be pinpointed like a phone number. I remember the context but not the specific message. I can find the message in the general search then have to go into that chat and scroll to that date. Searching within a specific chat with another individual would be much more useful than searching all my chats.

406 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Email shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

50 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • James O commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Completely agree. I did a search for in the results was a message in conversation I was looking for and discovered it was a almost a year ago. While Teams will show me the specific message that matches my query, it will not let be view the message in context of the history/thread so I could follow the conversation. My only option was to go that that user's chat and scroll up, wait, scroll up, wait, scroll up wait, going back week by week for ~51 weeks until I found the message in the thread. It took forever. And since Teams has not blessed us with the ability to have multiple windows open or separate windows, if I need to reply to a different team member or channel while I'm still trying to research this old conversation, then I lose my place in history because when I switch back to the user it takes me to current history and not where I left off so I have to then scroll back, week-by-week again until I get ~51 weeks in the history. This is a HUGE pain.

• Kevin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We need this fuction, i speak a lot with my teammates, is really hard to find a message from 3 días ago. Please make this fuction soon :(

• Braden commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Having search allow me to view the context around the specific item I'm searching for and then jump to it is EXTREMELY important. I remember asking people for certain pieces of information, but I can't recall their response. But when I search for the keyword like "login" it just shows me that I said that at a point in time. I can't jump to when I said that, I can't read what they responded with.
    It doesn't make sense for a search to not allow me to jump to the surrounding conversation. Slack, Discord, etc all have this.

• efg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Unbelievable this is missing. Why have search at all? Or, do you plan to let Google index everything? This should have been an initial requirement of search.

• Don commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The fact that a search result can't take you back to that place in search is pathetic. "Oh I found the conversation I was looking for, but it's from 6 months ago. Guess I get to scroll for the next 2 hours looking for it"... absurd

Hopefully this gets prioritized before our company decides to go back to Slack

• Max Vaughn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Working in CSS, we use Teams daily. We have reached the point where locating information is very difficult with the current search capabilities.

We need context sensitive search ( within the current meeting/extended conversation)
    and cross channel/conversation searches as well.

• Jamie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How on earth is this not a priority? This, in combination with how poor the performance when scrolling back through messages, is the reason I'm constantly pushing our organisation to move to slack. It's not like we lose anything if we can't take the chat history with us since it's all-but unusable anyway

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Not having the context and full historical data search basically makes your search feature a faux feature. Not a search. Basically I use it to get the date of when something around that topic came up, then I need to scroll in the chat to find it. And scrolling too far in the past makes Teams crash. And it takes forever to load. So there's not really a workaround for this. I don't want to use teams anymore for important information since I don't trust it to maintain that information over time and be able to serve it up when I need it. My conversations are lost.

slack does this better.

• Michael Todd commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This looks like a straight-up bug in Teams when I look at the Search function for Conversations.

When performing a keyword search for a conversation, then clicking on any one of the results that show up, I only get the specific message that has that keyword in it displayed, with no context. This completely confounds the use of search within a conversation because I then have to log the date and time of that message, go BACK to the conversation thread, and scroll.

It's another instance, similar to the "start a new conversation" button/field and the "reply to thread" link where it would be much more intuitive and easier for all manner of users if you simply copied what Slack is doing with conversation threads and comment threads.

This popped up when my team was looking to solve a bug. We all knew we had talked about the bug before and discussed a solution. We were able to SEARCH for the conversation and find terms that matched. But we were unable to open the full conversation to find out how we solved the bug.

Can we please allow Search to bring us to the related conversation? Currently it shows only the single message that matches your term.

Slack does this.

• Saurrabh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I too face the similar issue. I want to search specific msg in a particular group/channels but the search open takes only exact word, even if I am search a partial word it is not showing any results. Another point is, if we search anything, it gives result for all the teams where I am part of and not to a particular channel. Do we have any other option or will it be considered in the next upgrade?

• Ruben Rico commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

scrolling up through hundreds of messages is not fun. Adding a search will be very helpful when searching for specific things in a chat.

• Trevor commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Search allows me to get to a specific message in a conversation which contains the keyword I searched for - but this is absolutely useless to me if the information I'm seeking was in the response to that message, which doesn't contain the keyword, as is often the case in the chat format. Scrolling through chat history is a laggy nightmare, and a terrible user experience - the product is not complete unless the retained chat history is presented to the user in an actionable format.

I appreciate that search results can return specific messages, but in order for the feature to be useful to the end user, there must be the ability to return the context around that message, and jump right to that point in the chat transcript. This is the single largest complaint I still get from my end users, and the single largest driver of "Why did we ever switch off of Skype?" complaints.

• Ben Raubenolt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What's the point of keeping a history if there is no way to find anything in it? IBM Sametime had this 10 years ago. I can download a Pidgin IM client right now and have a fully searchable history. We need to be able see results within a channel with time/data stamps and partial context and be able get to the full context for those results easily.

• kanch commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As said below, it's absolutely insane when you finally find the message you want that you have to scroll up to the message to view the full conversation. please improve that.

I don't know why this isn't even a thing yet, a pretty obvious feature to have. This is just frustrating.

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base