How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Specific search

Search inside specific chats with other people and the ability to jump to the message so that the surrounding messages can be read and not just that message.
not all searches can be pinpointed like a phone number. I remember the context but not the specific message. I can find the message in the general search then have to go into that chat and scroll to that date. Searching within a specific chat with another individual would be much more useful than searching all my chats.

291 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Email shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  Warren responded  · 

This item is still being reviewed by the feature team. No additional news to share at this time.
    -Warren

38 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This popped up when my team was looking to solve a bug. We all knew we had talked about the bug before and discussed a solution. We were able to SEARCH for the conversation and find terms that matched. But we were unable to open the full conversation to find out how we solved the bug.

Can we please allow Search to bring us to the related conversation? Currently it shows only the single message that matches your term.

Slack does this.

• Saurrabh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I too face the similar issue. I want to search specific msg in a particular group/channels but the search open takes only exact word, even if I am search a partial word it is not showing any results. Another point is, if we search anything, it gives result for all the teams where I am part of and not to a particular channel. Do we have any other option or will it be considered in the next upgrade?

• Ruben Rico commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

scrolling up through hundreds of messages is not fun. Adding a search will be very helpful when searching for specific things in a chat.

• Trevor commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Search allows me to get to a specific message in a conversation which contains the keyword I searched for - but this is absolutely useless to me if the information I'm seeking was in the response to that message, which doesn't contain the keyword, as is often the case in the chat format. Scrolling through chat history is a laggy nightmare, and a terrible user experience - the product is not complete unless the retained chat history is presented to the user in an actionable format.

I appreciate that search results can return specific messages, but in order for the feature to be useful to the end user, there must be the ability to return the context around that message, and jump right to that point in the chat transcript. This is the single largest complaint I still get from my end users, and the single largest driver of "Why did we ever switch off of Skype?" complaints.

• Ben Raubenolt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What's the point of keeping a history if there is no way to find anything in it? IBM Sametime had this 10 years ago. I can download a Pidgin IM client right now and have a fully searchable history. We need to be able see results within a channel with time/data stamps and partial context and be able get to the full context for those results easily.

• kanch commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As said below, it's absolutely insane when you finally find the message you want that you have to scroll up to the message to view the full conversation. please improve that.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't know why this isn't even a thing yet, a pretty obvious feature to have. This is just frustrating.

• Tomek commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It should be possible to search with only part of word not only all. Moreover I can't search files - it doesn't work.

• Dial commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This idea has pretty much gone NOWHERE in close to a year... seeing things like this makes me dislike the switch to Teams more and more. I would be fired if I let something sit this long.

• Zema commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can't believe such basic function doesn't exist in Teams! I have hundreds of things I am searching for in chats on the daily basis. Now even if found it takes me 30 minutes of scrolling and waiting, scrolling and waiting till I get to the message I need 2 months ago. We should have stayed with Skype.

• Laura commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+ an office of around 20 people!!! This would really make our lives / work a lot easier!
        Would appreciate any update on this regard.

• Garrett Van Dyk commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1 Yeah, this feature would be extremely helpful. I can't tell you how many times I've searched for a message in a Chat and clicked Go to Chat, only to be brought to the most recent message.

• Jangie Jangie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@v-brorob ... pls amend your response as it is misleading... as per pointed out by @Ulf... it's not available yet... and should be upvoted ASAP so it can be worked on... thanks...

• Alex commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Problem with the search bar is that it is slow since it's searching EVERY chat and channel you're in. For those of us with a lot of activity it is unbearably slow to the point of near uselessness.

Ctrl-F should do a simple search within the current chat or channel that has focus and have simple Next/Previous controls. See Skype 7.40 for a good implementation.

• George Wade commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Clearly if this many people are missing it, the search feature could use some UI attention.

• Vlad commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We heavily use "OpsGenie" alert notifications and their API/BOT which is currently integrated with Slack... So we are __trying__ to transition to Teams but searching info in a specific alert does not work. None of the alert notifications that the OpsGenie BOT posts are searchable. This is a MAJOR issue. Why does the search function not "SEARCH" all the text within the BOT's posts???

• Joey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was able to search chat for messages from October. I am not able to search in Wiki without it opening an mht file in my browser. A search function for text in OneNote needs to be added too.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base