How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Tab key in Excel Online within Teams selects Teams Back Button

When I have the Desktop version of Teams open and I edit an Excel doc within Teams (using Excel online), the tab key selects the Teams back button (the top-left UI element) rather than sending the tab to excel online. Tab is such a commonly used key within excel (e.g. add a new line to a table) that this issue makes excel a frustrating experience.

98 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Simon Dorfman shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

20 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm using teams to supposedly streamline and collaborate but spend more time explaining to users why Tab isn't working to get to the next cell!

• Patrick Gutbrod commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have the same problem in Word and the "open the comment" workaround didn't work for me. I needed to tab/indent an outline and I could not do it. I echo the sentiment that these little details greatly hurt user adoption. Most of my users still won't use the online editing due to little nuances like this. I'm have no choice but to force Teams on all of them soon due to the unnecessary StaffHub migration and this will cause me blowback. I want to like Teams myself but every time I commit to a task solely in Teams I run into problems like this.

• LU commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I found a reply elsewhere that worked - "There is a workaround - we've hit this as well. Open the comment column to the right of the spreadsheet as you're editing it. With that open, tab works internally in the spreadsheet again. Don't need to add comments - just having the column there helps."

• Ryan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft are you paying any attention to this at all ? This issue has been known for over two years and it is still a problem in Teams as of today.

It is the apparent inattention to this kind of detail that pushes people away from wanting to adopt Teams.

And the enter key does not return you to the next line at the beginning but rather to the next just below the cell you were in last. We need this work as if we were actually editing a doc in Excel not in Teams, after all is that not the point of being able to edit the doc right in teams so other can do it at the same time. Full functionality would be great thanks!

+1 we're using Excel within Teams a lot, would like the keyboard experience to be more in line with the desktop versions

This is still true, and still very annoying. The workaround of opening chats does work.

• Erin Williams commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

With so many companies beginning to use this feature as a way for multiple people to be able to edit in Excel, this is a very basic feature that should work. Also why is there not a full version of Excel here? It's Excel Lite.

• Bart Read commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Really annoying as we frequently update a small number of shared spreadsheets, and the convenience of being able to do so directly in Teams is quite lost. I end up just opening in Excel every time to avoid the annoyance.

I created a bug report at Microsoft about this and MS will work on a fix but with low priority - we even found a little Workaround: just open the Chat with "start conversation" and The Tab behavior navigates to the next cell like it should be...

• No Bots Please commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This problem is enough *by itself* to keep me from recommending Teams.

One of the things my group uses Teams for is to share certain shared spreadsheets which we need to update on a regular basis. This is a tedious process that most of us hate--made worse by the fact that Excel doesn't behave like it should.

• matt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please, Microsoft, fix this. If you ever want Teams to be used as an editor, it is essential that people that work quickly via the keyboard can do everything they can in the full Office apps. I use Tab, shift+tab, etc. constantly to navigate excel files, so not including this simple function in the Teams client is a deal-breaker. Fix it.

Please! this has to be fixed - i noticed that Shift+Tab works here to jump to previous cell, so this must be a bug (i think this request shouldnt be only in this Feature-request section)!

btw.: the arrowkeys does not work either if you are in a cell and typed something in this cell.

• Joacim Eldre commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I fully agree! Pressing the tab key should tab between columns in the focused row in the Excel Online frame, not the Teams app itself. At least when content inside the Excel Online frame is in focus.

• Chris Anelick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are seeing this issue as well. The tab key should be focused in the Excel Online windows, not the Teams app.

Feedback and Knowledge Base