How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Delete Team without deleting Office Group

I can create a Team and it creates an O365 group. If I delete the Team the O365 group will be deleted too. Good and fine. BUT - If I create a Team an option is offered to create a Team for an existing O365 group. Once created I am unable to delete the Teams Team without deleting the O365 group. Please help.

183 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Jascha Vincke shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

27 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Michael commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is much needed for education where you may want to change the type of Team created. For instance a class or staff Team back to a standard Team.

Can we get an update from Microsoft on this? Even just an acknowledgement that you've read it?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd like to add my voice to this. We need to be able to delete a Team that was created and linked to an office 365 group while retaining the office 365 group. We created some for testing, but no one is interested in Teams.

Not sure why this is not an easy job. If I can associate a team with a group surley the opposite can be achieved. When you delete team a message saying delete group?, delete site?, delete planner? should appear. Have not tried yet but i assume if i delete a planner attached to a group the group, team etc remain.

• Jeff commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We definitely have scenarios where we would want to remove the Teams functionality while retaining both the 365 Group and the associated SharePoint site, especially once a project or program has gone from an active state to an archive state. Please add the ability to remove a Team without deleting the 365 Group or the SharePoint site.

• Svein-Erik commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree that deleting a team should not delete the O365 Group unless explicitly chosen to do so. We are using SharePoint online heavily to store project documents in a Team Site for each customer. Some PM's prefer to add Teams for collaboration, which works fine. However the team is often temporary while the SharePoint site with the project documentation must be kept. It is so annoying that removing the team removes everything. It's a showstopper for the way we would like to use Teams.

• Joonas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If 365 group and Teams channel can be linked there has to be a way to unlink them. Simple.

• Ludo C-IT commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I add my voice to this. We MUST be able to remove a team WITHOUT removing the Office 365 group.... Please, MS, provide a more flexible architecture !

• Lee Coates commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please Microsoft stop shoving Teams down our throats. We understand Skype is going away, but you are rushing us to the point you are making mistakes.

• Dave commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed! This is silly you can create a team from a private group with one accidental click thanks to the "Create a team" pop up and then you are stuck.

• Brett Zeigerbacher commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How is this not higher on the list?! We just had a site owner turn their application into a team and now it's forever in the stupid teams interface where it absolutely should not be. And there is no way for me, as a skilled admin, to remove this?!!

• Syyed Hashemi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes this is a pre for enterprises for the life cycle management. A Team can be temporary for the collaboration purpose but the docs need to be retained.

currently we create Sharepoint sites to move the docs once the teams is deleted. So an extra step for the admins.

• mk commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, we need this. There should be option/feature to disassociate services ,e.g.Teams, Yammer, Planner, PowerBI etc.. from an O365 Group. Thanks

I'm in the same boat. There should be a way to remove the link and delete the Team portion.

• Scott White commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is such a headache, as user can create teams and often choose to link the to existing o365 groups. Then when the project or need for the team ends they delete the group, eliminating the office 365 group. If the mail admin restores the group in office 365, the teams group shows up again! The users delete the team again and we go round and round in circles. In the case where Teams links to an exiting office 365 group a deletion of the group in Teams should simply "unlink" from the exiting group.

• Stephanie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If there is an option to overlay Teams onto an Office365 Group, there should also be an option to peel it off without affecting the Group and SharePoint site.

• mattj1 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A related scenario:
    You create an O365 group, which automatically creates a SharePoint site.
    You want to keep group but have no need for the site.

I would like to delete the site without deleting the group.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base