How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

File locking bug in SharePoint - frequently get file locks.

File locking has been an issue in SharePoint for as long as I can remember, now carried forward into TEAMs.

This is an obstacle to our adoption of TEAMs - people get frustrated by it (including our TEAMs support team!).

Frequently unable to save my files because TEAMs/SharePoint believes another user (Me!) has it locked. Only answer (as ShaePoint won't let you rename or delete the original whilst locked) is to save a copy, close the file, wait 30 min or so and then hope TEAMs/SharePoint has sorted itself and delete the old file.

Seems to me that it happens if handshake between SharePoint and client is lost momentarily.

220 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Stewart MacInnes shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

41 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
An error occurred while saving the comment
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I cant believe Microsoft is shipping a product with a bug like that! This problem occurs on a daily basis in SharePoint. FIX THE PROBLEM NOW PLEASE!

• Sam Foot commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We also have this issue, it's annoying if you accidentally create a document is the wrong folder and then want to move it, it's not a total blocker for us, but it really annoys some of our users.

1. Files tab in Teams
    2. Create new word document and edit it
    3. Wait for document to save
    4. Try and move/delete it, it's locked by someone even though I just created the file

After an amount of time it unlocks and you can freely move/delete it.

• Matthew commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This just happened to me on my first day using MS Teams at a new job... really a shame, Microsoft.

• Seth commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Problem persists. Running Teams desktop app 1.2.00.11966 (64-bit).

I can consistently reproduce this problem by:
    1. Doing any one of the following from the Files tab within a channel using the Teams desktop app:
    A. adding a new Word file by using the "New" option
    B. selecting "Edit in Teams" from the context menu of an existing Word doc
    C. clicking an existing Word doc to view in Teams then selecting "Edit" or "Edit in Teams"
    2. Clicking the "Close" button to exit the editor
    3. Attempting to delete the Word file

Attempting to delete from Teams results in a toast: "The file <file name> is locked."
    Attempting to delete from SharePoint results in a message: "The file is currently checked out or locked for editing by another user."
    When opening the file using Word desktop app, the Share panel indicates that the logged-in user is currently editing the file from 2 or 3 devices.

I have found no way to get Teams to trigger a release of the co-authoring lock (e.g restarting Teams app, signing out of Teams app, restarting machine). Only option is to wait for timeout which is usually about an hour.

Adding an existing Word doc to Teams and editing with Word desktop app or Word Online outside of the Teams' embedded browser seems to release the lock correctly.

We also have this issue... Is there really no way to solve this one, Microsoft? :/

• CA commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is SO incredibly frustrating and is a productivity killer. Microsoft: Please, PLEASE fix this super BASIC (yet crucial) troubleshooting issue.

This has been happening frequently for my teams. I used to be able to go through SharePoint and discard checkouts to remove the locked status, but now it gives me an error, even through I'm an owner.

Very frustrating as I still have files that have been locked for about 30 days. Can't delete them, move them, or rename them.

I was directed to this forum by a Microsoft Support Rep to advise that our organization is, also, facing this issue. Hoping this will be updated, though the the forums provided by my rep show this has been ongoing for over a year now.

Please find a permanent resolution to this issue and apply a patch. Our organization can't have hundreds of employees trying silly workarounds to a problem that simply shouldn't exist.

Again, to spell this out, deleting a local cache or going into SharePoint and checking out/in to clear the lock is NOT a solution. It's a cheap workaround that we shouldn't have to do.

This is such an infuriating issue because it's been around in SharePoint for years, and now has spilled over into Teams. We shouldn't have to perform these ridiculous workarounds by editing local caches etc. How on Earth can I knowingly push this out to my organisation knowing that such a fundamental issue still exists in production?

I also have frequent file locking issue via SharePoint online. Would be nice if there was an option int he admin console to see all open/locked files and be able to force the system to release them.

Also @Bogdan 's solution worked for me:
    1. Go to 'Office Upload Center'
    2. Settings -> Delete cached files

• Joel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have frequent issues with locked documents (often by the same user trying to edit). This is very frustrating and a solution would be most welcome.

• Steve Ferson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I had the same problem. I had created a document by drag-and-dropping into Teams, but then was unable to save an update from Word.

I opened the document folder in SharePoint, checked out the file, and then immediately Discarded the checkout. This seemed to solve it for me, and straight away I was able to save again.

• JoeK commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Experiencing this when I copy a file from one library to another, could really do with Microsoft at least acknowledging it.

• Bogdan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Solution:

1. Go to 'Office Upload Center'
    2. Settings -> Delete cached files
    3. Logout of Microsoft Teams then login again
    4. Check if you can delete, move, rename etc some files.

• Bogdan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello guys,

This problem was very frustrating for me too and here is a solution:

Open the file in SharePoint and there select it -> Show Actions -> More -> Check out -> Checking Out is Done -> Delete/Move to/Rename.

I'm opening a ticket right now for this problem hoping it will get to Microsoft and the bug will be fixed.

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base

You are about to visit the UserVoice site for Microsoft Teams

We have partnered with UserVoice, a 3rd party service providing public discussion forums for product-specific feedback.

By clicking "Continue to UserVoice" you agree to UserVoice's Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.