How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

File locking bug in SharePoint - frequently get file locks.

File locking has been an issue in SharePoint for as long as I can remember, now carried forward into TEAMs.

This is an obstacle to our adoption of TEAMs - people get frustrated by it (including our TEAMs support team!).

Frequently unable to save my files because TEAMs/SharePoint believes another user (Me!) has it locked. Only answer (as ShaePoint won't let you rename or delete the original whilst locked) is to save a copy, close the file, wait 30 min or so and then hope TEAMs/SharePoint has sorted itself and delete the old file.

Seems to me that it happens if handshake between SharePoint and client is lost momentarily.

139 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Stewart MacInnes shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

33 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This has been happening frequently for my teams. I used to be able to go through SharePoint and discard checkouts to remove the locked status, but now it gives me an error, even through I'm an owner.

Very frustrating as I still have files that have been locked for about 30 days. Can't delete them, move them, or rename them.

I was directed to this forum by a Microsoft Support Rep to advise that our organization is, also, facing this issue. Hoping this will be updated, though the the forums provided by my rep show this has been ongoing for over a year now.

Please find a permanent resolution to this issue and apply a patch. Our organization can't have hundreds of employees trying silly workarounds to a problem that simply shouldn't exist.

Again, to spell this out, deleting a local cache or going into SharePoint and checking out/in to clear the lock is NOT a solution. It's a cheap workaround that we shouldn't have to do.

This is such an infuriating issue because it's been around in SharePoint for years, and now has spilled over into Teams. We shouldn't have to perform these ridiculous workarounds by editing local caches etc. How on Earth can I knowingly push this out to my organisation knowing that such a fundamental issue still exists in production?

I also have frequent file locking issue via SharePoint online. Would be nice if there was an option int he admin console to see all open/locked files and be able to force the system to release them.

Also @Bogdan 's solution worked for me:
        1. Go to 'Office Upload Center'
        2. Settings -> Delete cached files

• Joel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have frequent issues with locked documents (often by the same user trying to edit). This is very frustrating and a solution would be most welcome.

• Steve Ferson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I had the same problem. I had created a document by drag-and-dropping into Teams, but then was unable to save an update from Word.

I opened the document folder in SharePoint, checked out the file, and then immediately Discarded the checkout. This seemed to solve it for me, and straight away I was able to save again.

• JoeK commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Experiencing this when I copy a file from one library to another, could really do with Microsoft at least acknowledging it.

• Bogdan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Solution:

1. Go to 'Office Upload Center'
        2. Settings -> Delete cached files
        3. Logout of Microsoft Teams then login again
        4. Check if you can delete, move, rename etc some files.

• Bogdan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello guys,

This problem was very frustrating for me too and here is a solution:

Open the file in SharePoint and there select it -> Show Actions -> More -> Check out -> Checking Out is Done -> Delete/Move to/Rename.

I'm opening a ticket right now for this problem hoping it will get to Microsoft and the bug will be fixed.

This is a real pain in the butt. We are trying to persuade dozens if not hundreds of people to use teams, and this bug just frustrates the heck out of them (and the IT team!).
        Come on Microsoft, you've got a good product here, which makes it really easy to be GDPR compliant, but only if you sort this out and make it usable.

• Emily commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a huge issue! I'm trying to get people to buy into using TEAMS and I can't if basic things like this do not work. Also, if there's a workaround -I'd love to hear it.

• Gary commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm sorry but the 1980's called and want their file locking issue back. C'mon Microsoft, this is basic functionality.

• Martin B commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Teams is in every way just a great idea, it's nowhere near ready for release.
        Wish they'd show the users when an office product is just in beta or preview version.

This definitely impacts user adoption. I did find that if I upload a document and then edit in Word client or online there doesn't appear to be the lock i.e. I am able to delete. So it is a workaround but not a good user experience.

• NaboFace commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So... one of the reasons OF365 is better than the local Office suite is because it offers collaboration and co-authoring. The only thing that do not work is collaboration and co-authoring. I think Microsoft is just being loyal to its legacy.

Seriously, I do not understand how this bug is been around for a couple of years without a fix.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base