How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

File locking bug in SharePoint - frequently get file locks.

File locking has been an issue in SharePoint for as long as I can remember, now carried forward into TEAMs.

This is an obstacle to our adoption of TEAMs - people get frustrated by it (including our TEAMs support team!).

Frequently unable to save my files because TEAMs/SharePoint believes another user (Me!) has it locked. Only answer (as ShaePoint won't let you rename or delete the original whilst locked) is to save a copy, close the file, wait 30 min or so and then hope TEAMs/SharePoint has sorted itself and delete the old file.

Seems to me that it happens if handshake between SharePoint and client is lost momentarily.

82 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Stewart MacInnes shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

17 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This definitely impacts user adoption. I did find that if I upload a document and then edit in Word client or online there doesn't appear to be the lock i.e. I am able to delete. So it is a workaround but not a good user experience.

• NaboFace commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So... one of the reasons OF365 is better than the local Office suite is because it offers collaboration and co-authoring. The only thing that do not work is collaboration and co-authoring. I think Microsoft is just being loyal to its legacy.

Seriously, I do not understand how this bug is been around for a couple of years without a fix.

My organization's issue is typically associated with authoring a new file within Microsoft Teams. for 10 min to 1 hour we will typically see a write lock on the file that makes it so we cannot rename, delete or move the file that was created in Teams.

• Stephen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We experience this problem every time a file (We've tested Excel and Word files) is opened for editing in Teams. The file will remain locked for at least 20 minutes no matter what you do (including shutting down the computer). We can still edit the file, but can't delete, move, or rename it.

• Maaike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Maybe the title of this bug should be renamed to File locking bug in Teams app. Get file locks when doc is created from Teams app.

• Maaike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same here!! This is a bug in the core functionality of the Teams app. That happens when you create a document in the Teams app (installed on Desktop). Also in OneDrive part in the Teams app. So you can't work seamlessly on documents from the Teams app...which is the idea.. right?

Documents get locked for + 3 hours to one full day and you can't move or delete it until it is unlocked ... it is unexplainable to users that this bug is not solved yet.

I Created a file. Know it is locked and I cant delete?!?! Shouldnt it be some kind of choice if the document is created by a person the samer person must be able to delete it? Or if you upload a doc, when you save you have to decide whom will be able to to what in that doc for that team?

• Nathan Berger commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is an infuriating bug. There needs to be a manual "check-in" option that closes all open sessions on the file and allows you to open it.

Getting real frustrated with an locked file. I'm the only one in it yet, it states that I'm in it twice and locked, when I'm only in it once,

• Quy Nguyen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It seems that SharePoint will not release the file until I log out of Teams, wait for about 3+ minutes, and then log back into Teams. This sucks because it breaks my train of thought, and I have to close out of Teams with current discussions going on.

Agree, this is very annoying. At least it should allow us to unlock it manually if we are the one which it thinks that locked the file.

Feedback and Knowledge Base