How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

It's distracting to get a chat message when a meeting has started or ended

This should be a notification option that you can turn off. Currently you see a chat item for your attention. You go to it only to see that the meeting you just started, or just ended, started or ended. You already know that, and the notification is just wasting your time.

259 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

CoryH shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

26 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Allison Rost commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There should be an option to at least 'pause' or 'delay' the start message. We have organizer who join meetings early to prepare/set-up - folks are getting prompts that a meeting has started and are joining 10 - 15 minutes early before the organizer is prepared.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I second Varun's comment-- if I haven't joined a meeting, I'm getting chat messages from attendees anyway that are completely out of context and therefore useless because I'm not listening to the audio. Useless pop-up clutter on the desktop. At this point, I'd rather shut off ALL desktop notifications than this silly nonsense. Thanks Microsoft!

• Varun commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How can I disable messages in teams when I have not joined a meeting.I get messages in teams even when I have not joined the call.

I vote to get rid of the notifications IN THE CHAT window. It would be appropriate to highlight in the Meetings app, and have an OPTION to push ALL or NONE of meetings into the Activity feed. Also, put a dot on the Meetings Icon, to show one of my meetings is in session (or maybe a different color dot, if the meeting is pending?). But it should not be in the Chat screen. noise and distraction.

• Derek Thrasher commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree that the ended meeting is redundant. But the started notification seems useful if you aren't the one starting the meeting.

• Tomer Shemesh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1 The most annoying part of this is that it sends you this notification, even when you are in the meeting that has just ended. Like no need to tell me it ended. i'm the one who ended it.

• Mark commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just piling on. :) We have a meeting scheduled daily and even though I'm a participant, I am annoyed by getting a notification that the meeting ended.

In fact, as I was typing this, an employee who was late to the meeting joined and left resulting in a pair of messages.

Instead, it might be nice to have an indicator that meetings I have access to are taking place - a "Meetings in progress" indicator. Then I could click it, see the meeting name and who is participating, then select which one to join.

Also, it's odd to me that the meeting (which is for everyone on my Team) appears under "Chat" which to me is more often an one-on-one interaction, instead of the Teams section.

So... I'd expect this daily team meeting to happen under the #General channel of our Team instead of as a separate meeting under chat. Listing it under #General would also put it at the appropriate place within the message flow.

• Jepe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Remove the notification about ended meetings or make it an optional configuration.

• Zach commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Another related case: I was added to a reoccurring meeting one time and now I get notified in my chat list every day when the meeting starts and ends. There is no way to suppress these notifications even if I'm not an attendee of the meeting.

Can’t believe it’s not possible to disable this super annoying feature .. especially that completely useless meeting ended nonsense

I think these chat messages are distracting, especially when the meeting ends. You think there is something that you need to go back and look at. It wastes time and is an unnecessary distraction.

• Colin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1. Hate these chat messages about meetings starting and ending. I only want to chat with human people, not "meetings."

it's unbelievable, that they introduced this silly behavior without an option to disable it. It's just frustrating. This app is better than catastrophic Skype for Business, but these small annoyances are huge in a daily usage. It's clear that developers don't use Teams as they would definitely notice the same.

• Charles Ritchea commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft is notorious in my opinion for ignoring these kinds of things that are very frustrating when you're OCD about notifications. Like that decade old bug in Outlook that doesn't update the badge when you've read mail on another client. I can't think of another company that is so consistently oblivious to the goal of having no notifications until you have a real notification. This was is particularly frustrating because there is no way to clear all notifications. You have to click on the chat for that meeting just to trigger that you've "Read" this notification. Which risks re-opening the meeting and getting another notification later!

I know this is probably something you can't get right for every user but I hear the below comments from basically everyone in our company.

When I get done with a meeting the status updates in chat and shows that I have a new message. This is annoying because I try to look for someone that has contacted me. It's small things like this that make this product annoying to work with.

The other being I can only have one window open at a time. If I am in a meeting and want to quickly send a message to someone not in the meeting it shrinks the meeting window and chat takes basically full screen. This is annoying as well.

Please allow us to turn off notifications for Meeting started and Meeting ended. I know it ended, I was just in it, I don't need to see a Chat appear stating the obvious. It's distracting for me to see what Chat is waiting on me just to find out the meeting I just ended ended.

• Mark Bretl commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Currently, the notifications for when a meeting starts/ends goes into the 'Chat' tab. This seems like the wrong place for it to show up since it is a meeting and not an actual chat. When I see a Chat notification, I think it is a person trying to chat with me, not an automated message about meetings.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base

You are about to visit the UserVoice site for Microsoft Teams

We have partnered with UserVoice, a 3rd party service providing public discussion forums for product-specific feedback.

By clicking "Continue to UserVoice" you agree to UserVoice's Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.