How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Integrate Outlook Calendar Meeting Presence

In Cisco Jabber and other IM agents, you can link your Presence Status to all meeting types, not just Skype or Teams meetings. The functionality of showing that "I'm in a meeting" on my status indicator in Teams would be very beneficial for transitioning teams to this service over something like Cisco Jabber or Spark.

183 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Louis Simonetti shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

10 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

First get presence to work for Skype for Business, then work on other features.

Has Microsoft made any movement on this issue? Our company is moving to using Teams and we have two great issues that are making this not at all user friendly:
    1. You do not have ability to make Teams anything other than full screen (Skype only took up a small portion of the screen.
    2. Status does not update so we are not interrupting other during meetings and when on with clients.

• Sue James commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I completely agree. I had a chat come through the other day while I was in a meeting because my status wasn't auto-changed to "In a Meeting" like it was in Skype for Business. I happened to be sharing my screen at the time to an external customer, so this was embarrassing to say the least. Please add this functionality ASAP.

• Jay commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please add this feature, it's blocking us from moving to Teams.

• Elijah W. Gagne commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In case someone else knows, here are the registry settings I used to use to switch IM presence from Jabber back to Lync.

# Make sure that Skype for Business is set as the default IM client
    $Path = "HKCU:\Software\IM Providers"
    $Name = "DefaultIMApp"
    $Value = "Lync"
    Get-ItemProperty -Path $Path -Name $Name
    Set-ItemProperty -Path $Path -Name $Name -Value $Value
    Get-ItemProperty -Path $Path -Name $Name

# Update registry keys for Outlook/Skype For Business integration
    $Path = "HKCU:\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\15.0\Common\PersoNamenu"
    Set-ItemProperty -Path $Path -Name "Enabled" -Value 1
    Set-ItemProperty -Path $Path -Name "EnablePresence" -Value 2
    Set-ItemProperty -Path $Path -Name "SetOnlineStatusLevel" -Value 3

MS Teams is not listed under "HKCU:\Software\IM Providers" for me so I'm thinking this isn't ready yet.

• Elijah W. Gagne commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've noticed a little presence indicator that recently showed up on the icon for MS Teams in both the system tray and Taskbar. Presence in Outlook is still tied to Skype for Business on my machine, but this seems like it's a step in the right direction. I remember that I had to update the registry to switch between Cisco Jabber and Skype for Business as the client that was queried for presence. Perhaps there's a similar registry update that can now be made for MS Teams.

My company just switched from Skype to Teams. We lost a MAJOR functionality of knowing if people are available. (This issue is compounded by not having the functionality to hide text coming through on chats... if people don't know if you're in a meeting, they will send you chats, which can show up on your screen when sharing) https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/555103-public/suggestions/17058172-allow-setting-to-remove-message-contents-in-banner

Please add this functionality to Teams as soon as possible!

• Berney commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are trying to transition from Jabber to Teams and the lack of status integration is one of the major complaints people have about Teams. If Skype could do this and Jabber can do this it seems like teams should also do the same.

• Ivan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We've been trying to get off Skype Business and use Teams, however, we are heavily dependent on personal status. the lack of integration with outlook makes it harder to really use teams to its full potential. How about getting this tool to integrate better with outlook. Or even integrate!

• Lieke Rietrae commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In SfB, the status of Outlook Calendar automatically synchronizes with my status in SfB. These are the same. In Teams, my status doesn't sync with my status in Outlook Calendar. This is a bit annoying because now I have to do it by hand all the time. Can we have a feature to sync the status of Teams with Outlook Calendar?

Feedback and Knowledge Base