How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Search all the words in a Team Name when searching for a Team

When I search for a team, I can only search on the first word of the team name. Searching should search all the words in the team name.

If I have a team called Software Deployments and I do a search for Deployments, I won't find the team. I have to search for Software and then it brings up Software Deployments.

Please fix this ASAP.

164 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Mike shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

20 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
An error occurred while saving the comment
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This search functionality is really lacking all modern features. Not able to search properly is really not you would expect. The risk now is people creating duplicate teams, since you won't be able to verify properly whether a team already exists.

• Dean Gross commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

what the heck is taking so long to implement basic functionality like this. Microsoft is telling us how great the search tools are, and many of them are, but this type of limitation is really inexcusable.

• Justin Ulzheimer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This needs to happen, IS uses search in Slack often and only having the ability to front-end search is a downgrade. Please all vote for this as we need this in Teams!

• Robert P. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Bing, Sharepoint, and all office products support partial name matching on searches. I feel like an idiot when I can't find a team I want, just because I can't remember exactly how the name of the team started.

• DD commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I found myself here initially to point out the Teams Admin center search, however this is also the case for Azure AD group search.
    It's a bit frustrating for administrators, not only because this search function does not work well in the admin center, but even the powershell workarounds available right now are a bit lacking as well.
    For example: Given a SharePoint URL, find out if it has a group (no problem), then find out if that group is associated to a Team. We should be able to use the ObjectID of the group that should match the Team's -GroupId, however, when using the 'get-team -GroupId XXXXXXXX-XXXX_XXXX_XXXXXXXXXXXX" command, it apparently cannot be found. Contrary to how it is documented at https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/module/teams/get-team?view=teams-ps

• John commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

we have over 10,000 O365 groups and are just now piloting Teams and Planner, and we implemented a group naming policy that adds a prefix to the O365 groups, Teams and Plans so now you have to do at least two exact searches to find all the Teams, groups. or Plans that match a certain starting string, We could use the Admin center or PowerShell to dump all the groups into a list and then allow folks to search the list... but really???

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This should be regarded as a BUG not an enhancement. It isn't possible to have in this day and age a generic word search or wildcarded. NOBODY would think you need to put the name in left-to-right correct spelt order.
    Together with colleagues we have WASTED TIME investigating and being perplexed by this situation. Either fix this ASAP or tupdate the left adjacent t the Search window to indicate the restriction.
    IMHO and personally - I think this makes Microsoft Teams developers look amatuer and unprofessional.

• Alex Carlock commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm surprised this is still an issue. Microsoft needs to get on this one. It would be a quick win. Even searching in the Admin center suffers from this problem.

• GraniteStateColin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

From an admin perspective, this is a must. It's hard to justify expanding Teams usage in our organization when we can't support the Teams, because we can't find them. This seems to a core issue with Office365 Groups. As Mike (OP) pointed out, if there are multiple words in the Group/Team name, we can't search on any but the first word. Shocking that Teams and Office 365 would be this data-stupid in 2019. Please make Group/Team name search more intelligent by indexing the words that make up the Group/Team name. Anything separated by spaces, commas, hyphens, and maybe even underscores should count as a separate word. If it would work in a web browser on Windows Explorer search, it should work for Group/Team names.

I realize that the 90+ votes this has today may be much smaller than for other features, but keep in mind that this only affects administrators -- those of us who make a decision on whether or not our organizations will move to Teams from Slack or other options. Because 1 admin may equate to 100+ or even 10,000+ users, 90 votes from Team admins is actually a larger number than some of the seemingly more-requested but only user-oriented features.

• Tim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

100% we need this .... you can search this way in sharepoint why not in teams?

• ... mn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Should be an easy one to fix I would think but maybe nobody of MS is aware? H E L L O !!!

• Ben Hatton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes please. Also the search should also look across words in the Team Description

(optimally with a checkbox "[] Also search team description")

• John Wilder commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The lack of this (along with no team directory) means people effectively need to know the name of the public team they want in order to join. Any naming convention is forced to include the search term at the start of the name.

Feedback and Knowledge Base

You are about to visit the UserVoice site for Microsoft Teams

We have partnered with UserVoice, a 3rd party service providing public discussion forums for product-specific feedback.

By clicking "Continue to UserVoice" you agree to UserVoice's Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.