How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Shorter Links !

Just make the links shorter, when pasting a link to another location on the chat.

It's always too poluted, We write down a 1 line comment and the link extension has 6 lines (!)

Thanks

54 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Lucas Lamoza shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
we have this!  ·  Warren responded  · 

You can create add a hyperlink to any text, which will allow you to avoid massive links being copied into the chat/channels.
Expand the compose box by clicking the icon “A” with a pencil just below your compose line. Once in the expanded view you can create a link by clicking the icon that looks like a chain at the top of the compose box.

You can also highlight your text and use this function to change your selected text into a hyperlink. Once the hyperlink dialog opens update the link location and modify your text if you so desire.

-Warren

16 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
An error occurred while saving the comment
  • Steve commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Adding a voice! Warren, you do not have this. What you describe is not short links, it's hyperlinked text - different things with different experiences and expectations. Shortened links that still tell the user "it's an MS [Word/Note/whatever] link" would be fantastic.

I can hide the huge link urls in hyperlinked text, but when I share something with a client, they end up using the link itself - and it's awful.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Warren's suggestion is helpful, but when pasting a link, it should automatically create intelligible text for the sharepoint link. So if I were a member in Busy Team and put an excel file in the financial folder in General, Teams should automatically create the linked text:
    Busy Team/General/financial/file.xls (Which would be a link to the horrid sharepoint URL)
    Otherwise the links are unwieldy and confusing and no one has a clue where the file actually was saved.

• Matt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I also want to echo Kenta Hara's comment.

It would also be nice if we could downvote MS bad workaround and upvote better suggestions like Kenta's.

• Niklas Pivic commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

To Microsoft:

I completely agree with Kenta Hara's comment made on 2019-02-08. Short URLs without any extra text would be good.

• Kenta Hara commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

To MS Teams,

I am up-voting this idea.
    Can't you just make a short link, and exclude the conversations and posted date time, etc.
    (You can just show those stuffs in a link preview.)
    The work around Warren gave us requires too much work.

Current:

John Doe: *** blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, ***
    Posted in February 8, 2019 on WhateverTeams/Channel

Suggestion:

https://teams.microsoft.com/l/message/12987829523
    (*) A shortened link.

When you copy a oneNote link from Teams to paste it to outlook ... ti takes 3 lines long message ... is there any solution for this ? like bit.ly or anything else inside teams to shorten urls ?
    Many thanks for your comments

I answer to myself : copy paste into OneNote this link then right click on it and modify the text ... that's it ... the url is shorten, i can now copy past it on outlook

When you copy a oneNote link from Teams to paste it to outlook ... ti takes 3 lines long message ... is there any solution for this ? like bit.ly or anything else inside teams to shorten urls ?
    Many thanks for your comments

• AdminWarren (Microsoft Teams, Microsoft Teams) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Brent H. - If you click "A" icon just under the compose box you will enter a format mode for the dialog box. From there you can type a word or phrase, select the text then select the "chain" icon to hyperlink the text you added. In the pop up box add your hyperlink and update the text showing as needed.

-Warren

• Brent H. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Warren's work around only works if you are sharing into a Teams chat channel. What if I'm sharing it somewhere else? There's no reason for it to be so long.

• Christian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Warren : In the Wiki's, it isn't possible anymore to add a hyperlink to any text. It was possible two weeks ago, but not anymore.

• Niels Ulrik Andersen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

No, you don't have this.

This is a usable workaround for systems that supports it. I would still very much appreciate more sensible links for systems that don't support it, for when I'm lazy, for users that finds the workaround hard, for making it easier to read the source code...

Having such long URLsis also a sign of bad coding. A URL should be human readable. Like the URL to this page.

• Mike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't know if I'm understanding it wrong but I need shorter links when I want to send a link to a Teams file to someone else. The link I get is 418 characters long that I have to paste into an email or chat. That's just crazy. Should have a URL shortener built into Teams somehow.

Feedback and Knowledge Base

You are about to visit the UserVoice site for Microsoft Teams

We have partnered with UserVoice, a 3rd party service providing public discussion forums for product-specific feedback.

By clicking "Continue to UserVoice" you agree to UserVoice's Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.