How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Shorter Links !

Just make the links shorter, when pasting a link to another location on the chat.

It's always too poluted, We write down a 1 line comment and the link extension has 6 lines (!)

Thanks

24 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Lucas Lamoza shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    we have this!  ·  AdminWarren (Microsoft Teams, Microsoft Teams) responded  · 

You can create add a hyperlink to any text, which will allow you to avoid massive links being copied into the chat/channels.
    Expand the compose box by clicking the icon “A” with a pencil just below your compose line. Once in the expanded view you can create a link by clicking the icon that looks like a chain at the top of the compose box.

You can also highlight your text and use this function to change your selected text into a hyperlink. Once the hyperlink dialog opens update the link location and modify your text if you so desire.

-Warren

6 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • AdminWarren (Microsoft Teams, Microsoft Teams) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Brent H. - If you click "A" icon just under the compose box you will enter a format mode for the dialog box. From there you can type a word or phrase, select the text then select the "chain" icon to hyperlink the text you added. In the pop up box add your hyperlink and update the text showing as needed.

-Warren

• Brent H. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Warren's work around only works if you are sharing into a Teams chat channel. What if I'm sharing it somewhere else? There's no reason for it to be so long.

• Christian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Warren : In the Wiki's, it isn't possible anymore to add a hyperlink to any text. It was possible two weeks ago, but not anymore.

• Niels Ulrik Andersen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

No, you don't have this.

This is a usable workaround for systems that supports it. I would still very much appreciate more sensible links for systems that don't support it, for when I'm lazy, for users that finds the workaround hard, for making it easier to read the source code...

Having such long URLsis also a sign of bad coding. A URL should be human readable. Like the URL to this page.

• Mike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't know if I'm understanding it wrong but I need shorter links when I want to send a link to a Teams file to someone else. The link I get is 418 characters long that I have to paste into an email or chat. That's just crazy. Should have a URL shortener built into Teams somehow.

Feedback and Knowledge Base