How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Block change picture

In Skype for Business we were able to prevent users from uploading pictures for their avatar. This was done from a PowerShell script that modified the OWA policy. We should have the same option with Teams. Hopefully in UI instead of PS.

730 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

151 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please resolve this ASAP. Users are changing photos even we have restricted by OWA mailbox policy.

• Grady commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have disabled user changing of photos through OWA because we have an HR policy that requires profile photos to be approved and synced from our HR system. Now Teams provides them a way to circumvent that policy and inappropriate photos are slipping in.

• David commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Teams needs to use the photo policy set by the administrator and use the photo from the mailbox for the user.

I've blocked users from changing photos using the two methods (policy and PS), Teams bypasses this. I'm having to run a script to replace the photos with correct ones daily at the moment and my PS command limit is being reached and I'm getting micropauses or whatever they're called. Please bump this is the to do list.

• Raymond Boone commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed. It should not be possible to bypass the policy this way--otherwise, why have a policy.

Yes agreed - OWAMailbox policy can be bypassed by changing your teams picture. Please provide a method to prevent this.

• Chris Coppola commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As conveyed at Ignite, Teams is the future of collaboration with Office 365. So, stomping your feet and saying it "will not have a place in our organization" because you can't effectively manage your employees seems extremely counter-productive. Sounds like you need a new management strategy, not a new button in the Admin center.

• Frank De Winter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Could we link here automatically the photos used in LinkedIn? I as Admin do not want to administrer pictures in my AD....

Because of Microsoft's decision to move Microsoft Classroom into Teams we've now deployed Teams to our school district as an alternative to Google Classroom. As many have mentioned, we don't want our students uploading any picture they want to their profile. Which in OWA they can't but the addition of Teams and the Teams app is allowing our staff/students to go around our HR policy of having either their staff ID as their profile photo or no profile photo in the case of the students. Please add this feature.

• Mikhy Koehler commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We're having a similar issue. We sync photos for our staff users from Exchange. Since we're a school district, we do not allow students to add photos. We have the Set-OWAMailBoxPolicy -SetPhotoEnabled set to $false so users cannot change their photos via Outlook or OWA.

Currently, however, Microsoft Teams allows both Students and Staff to change their photos. We need to find a way to prevent these users from changing their photos in Teams.

• Troy HIgh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any updates from Microsoft Teams on this feature request? We are also experiencing users making changes to user profile pics, and see no way to restrict this, as we already do in Office365 policy....

• Raymond Boone commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just found out this is happening within our environment as well. Why doesn't Teams respect the PowerShell settings I have enabled (or disabled in this case) for SetPhotoEnabled on the OWAMailbox Policy?

I don't understand why we as admins have to try and play whack-a-mole trying to find all of the different places that users can upload a photo from. For Enterprise products, we should have the ability to turn this on/off from one location.

• Sanjeev Pany commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How has this not already been built in? This isn't a social media app where users can change their profile pictures to dumb selfies. These are work tools and we want our user phones to be professional and non offensive. This needs to be a top priority!

Feedback and Knowledge Base