How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Block change picture

In Skype for Business we were able to prevent users from uploading pictures for their avatar. This was done from a PowerShell script that modified the OWA policy. We should have the same option with Teams. Hopefully in UI instead of PS.

732 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

151 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Sam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As a workaround, I run a pic upload script that writes the thumbprint from get-userphoto to a table in sql. I check current thumbprint against the table to know if they have changed it and I upload again.

• Andrew Chandler commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1 on this. We are in higher education and want to move a few thousand users to O365. We have a standardized photo that syncs from our ERP system into AD DS and then into Azure AD.

We CANNOT lose the ability to prevent users from changing these photos. One person uploads something in poor taste-- beach photos, memes, etc-- as a profile photo and that's a huge issue.

HOW has this been a thing for so long? Prioritize this!

• Fizarak commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The best part of this feature not existing is when they change there teams profile picture it changes in all the places they aren't allowed to change it directly. Good job. /s

• Kyle commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Profile photos in Office365 is a mess. In my option if the photo is set in Active directory it should automatically be used in any Office365 related app... and there should be ONE place to disable changing it from any app. Rather than Outlook, OWA, Skype, Teams, SharePoint, Delve, https://portal.office.com/userphoto, etc.

• Tom Yergs commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My organization recently shut off the ability for users to change their photos, and I was dismayed to discover they still can through teams. Can you please get this feature implemented? You just need to read the Exchange Online OwaMailboxPolicy SetPhotoEnabled attribute, and if it is set to False, do not display the change photo options. This is an important feature for organizations that want to maintain consistency among user photos, which requires blocking users from uploading their own so that replacement photos can be taken to specifications. Thank you.

• Larry Paul commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Do we have an update on this feature? Our users are taking advantage of MS Teams in changing their pictures

• Everton Bruno Bernardi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a F*CK*NG shame on Micro$oft! Why the **** don't they make their products compatible with ALL of the existing features BEFORE releasing them to the public?

Too much amateurism in my point of view!

• Cristian Paicil commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When they could have solved the photo blocking in teams, since we only need Teams, because from OWA is blocked.

• Venkatesh Kulkarni commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@ Microsoft Team.. Please update feature in Microsoft Teams to block upload picture .This is Organization requirement. Most of the Organizations HR team doesn't allow individual to update Profile picture by themselves ..Profile picture has to update by Active directory.

• Michael Dickerson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I created a ticket with Microsoft on this, but they said they didn't think it was possible. But does anyone know of a way with Powershell to be able to tell WHEN a picture was last updated? My thought is that I could check once a week and see what pictures were updated so I could change them back and warn the user. This would at least be a workaround until this feature is implemented!

Feedback and Knowledge Base