How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Block change picture

In Skype for Business we were able to prevent users from uploading pictures for their avatar. This was done from a PowerShell script that modified the OWA policy. We should have the same option with Teams. Hopefully in UI instead of PS.

732 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

151 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Juraj Maksi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For those interested, I devised a script and scheduled a job to run every hour that scrubs changed photos...

#finds mailboxes with custom photos and removes the photos
    $ids = $null
    $change = @()
    [array]$ids = Get-Mailbox -ResultSize Unlimited | where HasPicture -EQ $true | Select -Property Name
    $Ids | foreach{
    [array]$change += $_.name + "<BR>"
    Remove-UserPhoto -Identity $_.Name -confirm:$False -verbose
    }
    #end finds mailboxes with custom photos and removes the photos

• Martin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So strange that Set-UserPhoto is not working in Teams
    i looking forward to this !

• Doug Bartley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree this needs changed. We have an employee directory built on SharePoint with pictures we set of our users. Use can change photo in Teams and it updates it in EXO & SPO, thus changing it in our employee directory. Worst of all as an admin, I can't change it back. I'll upload new pic to EXO and SPO only for it to revert right back. Please fix this Microsoft.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Was hoping that Microsoft actually listened and shut this down... Alas, same old Microsoft.

• Kazzan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This should be definitely consistent settings inside Microsoft 365 experience for users when IT sets this policy.

• Duane commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When we run the command for OWA does anyone know if that is a one time deal, or does it have to be ran more often?

Microsoft - When will you apply a fix or a way to limit the ability for any end user to change their profile picture?

• Kevin Oechsle commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1 for this, We use our Office365 pictures in our email signatures, and users changing their pictures messes that up, at least give us the option to stop users from changing their pictures from any program.

• Sharlene commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is there a timeframe that we can expect this fix? We have experienced the same problem with Teams, Yammer and Skype for Business. We have an OWA policy in place, preventing users from uploading pictures. In each of these apps, users are able to upload pictures, which are then propagated back into Outlook. Our only temporary remedy has been to have MS scrub servers on the back end. It would be great to be able to set policies in each application or have one across the board policy to prohibit users from uploading photos in any app. Without a fix, we are fighting a losing battle.

• Lucas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with Chris. The lack of updates on this thread leads me to believe that nothing is being done about this. There needs to be more transparency in communication. If this is not going to be worked or continue to be pushed on the back-burner, we need to know so we can make the appropriate changes. Or, if there is a ETA, then...tell us!!

Unacceptable. We have migrated to O365 and now find out that we have no control. The wide spread use of inappropriate pics should be controllable as a global setting in AAD.

any update - we want a consistent approach for our company regarding pictures but when users see the change photo option they are using it. Why does disabling it in one place not disable it everywhere??

• Chris Adams commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft, the delay on this feature request is unacceptable. It feels like you are stringing us along. If you are NOT planning to enable this functionality just tell us so we can move on. If you are going to release this functionality then be transparent give us a timeline.

I agree with all other comments. Control of this feature needs to be available either through GUI or PowerShell.

Feedback and Knowledge Base