How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Improved search that searches through everything

If I´m trying to use Teams as my main hub of communications it would be handy if teams search can search for anything and everything.

It would search my emails, files, chats, team discussions, groups, sharepoint etc. Basically the extent of my O365 reach.

To many times a file can´t be found as you can´t remember where you put it, to many times you can´t remember if the discussion was via teams, email or chat etc.

76 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

9 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Emmanuel Preveraud commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Not really convinced by this idea; it's like the "search" function of the Windows taskbar, it should search for apps and maybe documents but should absolutely not do a Bing search. We have browsers for that.

Same with Teams, it's already bad enough that I can't find conversations, it would be worse it it was also cluttered by non-relevant emails or sharepoint folders. I know when I want to search for a conversation or an email and use the appropriate tool for this.

If done, as always, it should be activated by an option.

• Daniel Delgado commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Teams is not very useful without a comprehensive search capability. OneNote and Outlook have amazing search functions. Teams needs to be able to search within Files, Notebooks, Plans, etc. for it to be able to rival slack.

• Aidan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Exactly this. If a Teams chat doesn't show up in Outlook search, it did not happen.

When at my own desktop I will use the Outlook desktop client to search. Elsewhere I don't mind whether I search through Teams or Outlook web clients - but in every case, a single search should return both email and Teams content.

• Guy Gilbert commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Collaboration still happens primarily in email. So I end up searching for info in 2 places - Teams and email. Proposed solution: Teams search should include email (Exchange) results. Outlook search should include Teams results. And SharePoint would be very nice to have.

• Peter Schiano commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Especially +1 for unifying search of chat and email. I don’t remember what method I used to discuss an issue. Search in either Teams or Outlook should search both. Worst case, search in Outlook should include Teams, like it does for Skype chat.

• Paul Diller commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For some reason I can't even find a simple word in an Excel file right within the team files area.

• Andrew Burrage commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This could definitely be improved. While I am not certain that searching everything would be efficient, having options as to what can be searched would be useful. At present, the search feature misses far too much, as such I will not use it because I cannot trust the results

• Giulio Vannini commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's really a pity to click on "open in sharepoint" under Files tab just to search for a file in a long list ....

Feedback and Knowledge Base