How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Eliminate "Context" Switching from Guest Feature

The new guest feature is a great start, but it feels more like a bolt-on than a core part of the experience. I'd like to see you be able to converse/collaborate as a guest in other organizations without needing to switch between tenants.

Each context switch takes several seconds and is disruptive, I know I'm being picky here, but I believe this would help keep the end user experience smooth and drive adoption.

Thanks!

135 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Douglas Plumley shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

21 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is the most painful aspect of Teams!!

Our company, like many others, has plenty of partners. When you get added to their tenant as a guest it is just one more place you need to check for messages. The message indicator between tenants is like 25% reliable. The time to switch is awful.

And how about when you forget to switch back to your default tenant? A lifetime of collaboration goes by as you tunnel vision into whatever it is your working on at the moment.

We really need this one.
        Not getting alerts from teams were you are a guest and constant tenant switching makes B2B guest access very difficult to use and to sell.

I hope this improvement finds it way into teams very soon...

• Ayo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any news?? We constantly work with external partners and cross-company teams. The current method of dealing with guest users is horrible.

• Robyn Bredvick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please make this happen as soon as possible! It would be a huge benefit in time saving and complaints from my users. I have tenants that work closely together and I get complaints daily about this issue.

• Peter Helfer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The guest teams should just show up on the left hand side like the other teams... As simple as that!

• Ayo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The guests is good feature, but needs to be effortless. Each context switch takes several seconds and is disruptive.

• Phill commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

really need to get some updates on this; org is starting to do more with teams & push to shut down s4b & this is a fighting point.

Wholeheartedly agree on this.

Use Case: I was at Ignite this week and a part of an Ignite Teams group. Switching the context to the other org (ex. Contoso), I get the notifications and ease of use for Contoso, but not my business Teams. I lose complete visibility to it unless I switch back to it.

• Ian Caldwell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Nope, not being picky at all! The experience of using Teams internally, with guests, and then as a guest within another company's Team - this needs to "just work". When a user uses Teams, it should be crystal-clear WHO they are (internal, guest, etc) WHERE they are (own company, another company) and WHOM the other users are (internal, Microsoft account, guest from another Tenant)

• John Condon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You're not being picky. Our organization will not migrate to Teams until this glaring issue is fixed. We constantly work with external partners and cross-company teams. The current method of dealing with guest users is horrible.

• Jim E commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In addition to the other problems listed around the context switch, we are struggling with the inability to search across all Channels across all Organizations with a single search.

Switching to each Org to search and find something is time consuming and a frustrating end-user experience.

• Gary commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Getting negative feedback from partner organisations about the slowness of switching. +1 for working out a solution to make this software a serious team collaboration contender.

• Daniel V commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm using Teams from the beginning and have a lot of own teams, some teams that customers are hosting and some teams, that I own but share with customers/partners. Switching tenants is a nightmare in the meantime and the question, who is hosting a team gets more and more difficult to be answered.

I heavily support this idea to have all teams within one context without having to switch teams.
        I'm really wondering, why we only have 56 votes...

• James Snape commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Switching tenants is way too slow. So much that I put off switching as long as I can - usually waiting for my phone to beep a notification.

Not being able to see everything in one place means, as a consultant with multiple clients, I can't respond quickly enough.

• Alexander Næss commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree with everyt thing here. It is difficult to keep track of the different teams in different tenants when you don't see the notifications.
        And i'd like to add, when i'm in my organizations tenant, I see the option for switching to external tenant, but when in external tenant, this option is not there. The only way to go back to my organization's tenant is to log off and start the application again. If in web browser, i have to log off and all open office 365 tabs also logs off.
        Please do something about this.

• Pete commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Unless this is fixed "guest access" is almost completely useless. I need to see all my teams across all accounts in one single Teams screen.
        Switching between accounts in order to know what is happening in the other account makes no sense as I also don't receive notifications.

• Jeremy Thake commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please don't underestimate how many people will be in external teams. With Slack I have 7 different teams I am a member of. I have no problems at all keeping up as the external networks all have badge notifications. This is causing a HUGE adoption problem for the three external projects I'm working on right now where people aren't engaging because they don't get notifications.

• Aaron Marks commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Teams should handle this like Slack at a minimum where different Organizations are visible on the left-side of the app. You should be able to see how many notifications as a "Badge App Icon". Monitoring multiple orgs currently requires keeping multiple browser windows open and using Chrome to manually enable notifications. Please make the the multi-org scenario seamless everywhere.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base