How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Guest access should be implemented at the Channel level

Once I enabled guest access on the tenant I can enable guest access to a team, but I can't give guest access to a single channel. There should be a way to do this as I will now need to create a guest team and an internal team when I share teams with customers.

1,207 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Pieter Veenstra shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

65 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Michael commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes! Yes! Yes! More than 6 Months without an Update. Please update when this will be available. Having to create two Separate Teams, one for internal and one for external for each project is simply sad and not aligned with the Teams strategies. Please be consistent. Thanks.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, please make this feature available, else we have to create teams for every project where we want to add the guests, because by default all channels are available to the guest, make the option where guest can only have the ability to be a member of a specific channel so team members can communicate with him and provide updates.

Please implement guest access at the Channel level. Now I need to create separate Team for each group of Guests. Ideally I would like to create the only one Team for all Guests and create separate Channel for each type of Guests.

This is the one big limiting factor for us moving to Teams. We need this badly.

any updates on this, it feels like this is something that Slack has been good at since day one.

We really need this option, as we are often working with 3rd parties on different, but related projects and cannot be setting an entire team just for the 3rd party to have limited access.

• Brian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

in our company we use MS teams on our projects. Each channel represents a project and sometimes we we wants our customers to join as an guest. They only should see their relevant information.
        At teamlevel a guest can see all our projects. This is a nogo.
        Please implement Guest invitations at channel level

• robert commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft, again I wonder if you use your own software. Either your internal use cases are just dog and pony shows, and nobody is actually using using it. Because as soon as one starts using Teams and invites guests this deficiency shows up in full view.
        At some point during the design of the db structure someone should have asked the question "are guest permissions at the team level, or at the channel level?"

At that stage of the design process it would have been a relatively small effort, now your customers are wasting time on this.

Is this a consequence of code first design?

I am taking a look over at my other display and there is Outlook, and a fresh reminder that similar mistakes are all over as I see the calendar preview that is limited to one month only with a big grey empty space below it. That is where a few extra months to look at would have been really helpful.

Any news on this? We need a method to discern between internal and external communication within one team.

Can we get an update on this. We really need this ability to switch visibility of individual channels on or off for guests (and maybe members)

• Taylor commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello, any update regarding this? Channel-based permissions should absolutely be a staple of Teams.

• Elizabeth Romero commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes we really need this as well- usage is going to be low if everytime you are trying to work with a different set of folks then you have to create a new MS Teams- IT is going to be controlling creation of teams which defeats the purpose of having self service...it would be great if you created a Team for dept - top level and then channels underneath can be for different users- because right now it inherits from the top and all channels will have same members thanks, we really need this!!!!

• Roger Torres commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

One more vote from me. This would make MS Teams much easier to work with as a client facing environment.

• Chris H commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like to add my support for this feature to be added. It would make things so much easier.

Would appreciate an update on this requirement. Last update I can see is Sept'17

• Lucas Reinhart commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree, right now we have to use Slack for our customer support chat on our website and we would much rather just use Teams...

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base