How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Wide-angle web cams are cropped

We have a wide angle webcam for our conference room. When we have more than 1 person join a meeting, it crops the video feed of our conference room. Microsoft Teams recognizes the wide angle aspect ratio just fine but crops it based on how many other users join the meeting. Either the right or left side of the video is cut off depending on which position the video is placed in the meeting screen.

Having a setting to maintain aspect ratio would be really helpful. We are loosing video of people who are presenting if they aren't in the side of the camera that is being cut off.

Another solution would be to resize the video windows per user, so the video would capture the needed people.

244 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Sid shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

27 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is typical Microsoft - so nearly a great product marred by a simple omission. The auto cropping means that when conferencing with my remote colleagues all I get to see is the space between them, and occasionally it'll decide to pan to the one of them who's not talking. Teams is trying to be too clever for its own good.

Also, I don't seem able to adjust things like camera brightness level without being in an actual call. Again, this just feels like an oversight.

• Rob Straka commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, please add a setting to disable this video cropping. We need feature parity between Skype for Business and Teams. My users are starting to use Teams but there are no options!!!

• Mark Wiseley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is horrible. We have moved from Skype for Business to Teams, but we frequently have video conferences with more than 2 people and love the Owl, but the cropping makes them useless. This is standard on every other video conferencing solution. This needs to get fixed!

• Alex commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same issue the video was cropped even we use wide angle camera when more than one attendee was on the call having diffucult to view other participants on our conference room

• Leslie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Having the same issue using teams desktop app. But the video works well (wide angle) on the web. Hope they can fix on desktop app.

• Jack Cox commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The video content should be sized with Aspect-Fit rather than Aspect-Fill. This will eliminate the cropping. It's a pretty simple setting to change on Macs.

• Matt Grant commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can’t believe this functionality wouldn’t be in place already for an otherwise great product. Please get it in there guys!

• Glenn Chubak commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is broken to the point where it frustrates staff. It is also broken when integrating with a Skype room system.

• Leona commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I end up asking everyone to sit on the same side of the table. Squeeze up, we are all friend here. Really?????, fix it please.

• Ahsan Ahmed commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Right now, we are evaluating Zoom and MS Teams. Zoom simply does multiple incoming video calls FAR better than MS Teams. Seems like MS is just not committed to MS Teams. I frequently have 4-5 people in an MS Teams meeting and at least one always has a conference room with multiple people. MS Teams resizes the feeds to people get cut off or the aspect ratio is weird. Why can't MS just give us the ability to just say "SHOW ME THE ORIGINAL ASPECT RATIO AND ENTIRE FEED FOR EVERY USER" instead of assuming we want it to try to "intelligently" focus on who's talking. This is terrible. Zoom is far superior.

• Mike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same problem here. Is there any way I can choose to not show some of the video feeds? We have a bunch of people in a conference room and 2 or 3 people joining from their desk. I want to see the conference room in widescreen but when we have 3 feeds it puts the conference room and one other person side by side and we lost half the image of the conference room.

• Harald Binkle commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The same for us. There should either be an option to keep the full width of the videos or even better: make us able to detach videos into their own Windows.

• LutzHH commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Also - why are people without video are getting space on the screen. This is not helping.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base