How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Wide-angle web cams are cropped

We have a wide angle webcam for our conference room. When we have more than 1 person join a meeting, it crops the video feed of our conference room. Microsoft Teams recognizes the wide angle aspect ratio just fine but crops it based on how many other users join the meeting. Either the right or left side of the video is cut off depending on which position the video is placed in the meeting screen.

Having a setting to maintain aspect ratio would be really helpful. We are loosing video of people who are presenting if they aren't in the side of the camera that is being cut off.

Another solution would be to resize the video windows per user, so the video would capture the needed people.

76 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Sid shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

11 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Mike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same problem here. Is there any way I can choose to not show some of the video feeds? We have a bunch of people in a conference room and 2 or 3 people joining from their desk. I want to see the conference room in widescreen but when we have 3 feeds it puts the conference room and one other person side by side and we lost half the image of the conference room.

• Harald Binkle commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The same for us. There should either be an option to keep the full width of the videos or even better: make us able to detach videos into their own Windows.

• LutzHH commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Also - why are people without video are getting space on the screen. This is not helping.

• LutzHH commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Skype for Business has an option to disable crop and auto-center / zoom.
        I believe that this would fix the problem.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ditto - we would love to use teams for our morning standup and other meetings , which consist of a combination individuals and usually at least one wide angle conference room camera.
        If the right number of people happen to be in the meeting and your image is placed in the right place, it works great, but the lack of predictability makes it unusable.
        It would be great to have the ability to force a camera to stay full width, even if it requires the image to be displayed at 1/2 height.

This is a HUGE Issue for us. We're trying to use teams connect our smaller groups of people that are in multiple locations. We have a table full of people in one city, and a couple individuals in 2 other cities. We need to be able to make the table of people wide screen always.

Either having the ability to re-size or for it to auto re-size.

Alternatively, the ability to manually minimise participants on the call to a bottom or side bar so that you can focus on a main video which utilises the full screen.

Auto removal / minimisation of non-video participants would be useful too.

The only way I can achieve this at the moment is to drag the window over 2 screens.

• Jason Merrifield commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have this issue also. Please give us ANY kind of controls over resizing the incoming video feeds. This can include removing any users from view who haven't turned on their webcams. Our conference rooms are almost getting cut in half going from 16:9 to 1:1 ratios. I have to resize the Teams window for us to see anything past 1:1!

• Glenn Chubak commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd like to understand what the long term plan is on this one. Teams simply doesn't work for video calls from a group of people to others unless there are 2 participants or 5 participants (both of these scenarios force it to assign wide angles to all of the cameras). We really need proper options to view the video in board room type scenarios.

• Shawn Keene commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same here, it cuts off half our participants from view because it's cropped oddly, and half our visual feed is taken up by users that don't even have video cameras, so all we see is their giant name initials instead of the video feed we're actually trying to see.

Feedback and Knowledge Base