How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Disable send message on pushing ENTER / Shift-ENTER

When typing a message I can never tell if pushing ENTER will:
- Start a new line
- Send the message

If i'm writing a bullet point list, ENTER gives me a new line.
If i'm just writing a line of text, ENTER sends the message.

Or at least it seems like that. Thats my point, its confusing.

Some apps take Shift+ENTER as a new line, others see that as a send command.

I'd like to turn off all those shortcuts, and just use the Send button to send with my mouse. That way I know whats going to happen.

124 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

James Salt shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

13 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Igor Nikiforov commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I do agree. An option to set Enter to add a newline and use something like CTRL+Enter to send a message is definitely a must-have feature for any IM/chat/messaging service.

• Takahito Maruyama commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's definitely necessary function, especially for Japanese, who presses Enter so many times to enter characters. With Japanese IME, most chat apps send a message with Ctrl+Enter pressed. Users should be able to choose just Enter or Ctrl+Enter to send a message. I already send a number of incomplete messages to my boss. This could be good reason to quit using the Teams app.

• Paul commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

After entering a series of incomplete one-liners to my colleagues, I found a brilliant work around. I type everything I need to in Word, print it out, then take a photo of the printout with my phone, then open the Teams app on my phone and send the picture! It works every time! [/sarcasm]

The *de-facto standard* for this is (and has been for decades, let me show you my age):

Single-line data entry (eg. mIRC): Enter = Send
    Multi-line data entry: (eg. Outlook/Express back at least as far as 1995): Enter = new line, Ctrl+Enter = Send.

SIMPLE. Why change something that works?

• Swaroop B commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

After entering a series of incomplete one-liners to my colleagues, I found a brilliant work around. I type everything I need to in a text editor like Notepad or Word, then copy and paste into Teams. It works every time.

• Matthias Bartosik commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Also, autocompletion of @names requires you to press enter to accept the autocomplete, the same key you use to send. I can't get used to this at all. I would prefer to have enter only add newline and autocomplete, not send.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

my return key worked fine for several months until today. microsoft, a little help please.

• Jennifer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, since there a send button, don't interpret a carriage return as a send. It stops your messages from being proper bits of readable text and turns them into "Tweets"

Yes! This is driving me nuts and causing me to have to go back and edit my messages. Very annoying!
    Exactly my thoughts!!!

• Megan Weise commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree, I would like to be able to completely turn off the ENTER to send. I have deleted/edited dozens of messages this week already.

• Oleg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I need Enter as a New Line (while Ctrl-Enter to send message is OK)

• Barry Brittenham commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I might write many lines of text in a message, that means having to either open up the edit box or using Shift+Enter for every line, but I send the message only once ever. Why make me jump through hoops to do the thing I do the most, and make the thing I do only once easy? That is just bad UI design.

It's also confusing that it behaves differently when expanding the compose box. When expanded, ENTER does not send the message.

• Jennifer Mason commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes! This is driving me nuts and causing me to have to go back and edit my messages. Very annoying!

Feedback and Knowledge Base