How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Disable send message on pushing ENTER / Shift-ENTER

When typing a message I can never tell if pushing ENTER will:
- Start a new line
- Send the message

If i'm writing a bullet point list, ENTER gives me a new line.
If i'm just writing a line of text, ENTER sends the message.

Or at least it seems like that. Thats my point, its confusing.

Some apps take Shift+ENTER as a new line, others see that as a send command.

I'd like to turn off all those shortcuts, and just use the Send button to send with my mouse. That way I know whats going to happen.

90 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

James Salt shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

10 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Swaroop B commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

After entering a series of incomplete one-liners to my colleagues, I found a brilliant work around. I type everything I need to in a text editor like Notepad or Word, then copy and paste into Teams. It works every time.

• Matthias Bartosik commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Also, autocompletion of @names requires you to press enter to accept the autocomplete, the same key you use to send. I can't get used to this at all. I would prefer to have enter only add newline and autocomplete, not send.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

my return key worked fine for several months until today. microsoft, a little help please.

• Jennifer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, since there a send button, don't interpret a carriage return as a send. It stops your messages from being proper bits of readable text and turns them into "Tweets"

Yes! This is driving me nuts and causing me to have to go back and edit my messages. Very annoying!
        Exactly my thoughts!!!

• Megan Weise commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree, I would like to be able to completely turn off the ENTER to send. I have deleted/edited dozens of messages this week already.

• Oleg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I need Enter as a New Line (while Ctrl-Enter to send message is OK)

• Barry Brittenham commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I might write many lines of text in a message, that means having to either open up the edit box or using Shift+Enter for every line, but I send the message only once ever. Why make me jump through hoops to do the thing I do the most, and make the thing I do only once easy? That is just bad UI design.

It's also confusing that it behaves differently when expanding the compose box. When expanded, ENTER does not send the message.

• Jennifer Mason commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes! This is driving me nuts and causing me to have to go back and edit my messages. Very annoying!

Feedback and Knowledge Base