How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Search Results "Go to the chat" link should take you to the result entry within the relevant chat

currently the "Go to the chat" link when you're viewing a Search Result takes you to the end of the chat.
It should bring you to the right date and time, so that you can see the search result in the context of the conversation.

22 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

7 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
An error occurred while saving the comment
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I came to request this exact feature.

Quite frequently I can recall the topic of discussion, but don't know when it occurred. For example:

me: What is the password to foo.com?
    sysadmin: bar
    me: Thanks!

If I forget and search for foo.com, my result is:

What is the password to foo.com?

With no option to go to the original conversation. It stands to reason that when searching, you are often trying to find what someone's response was to a specific question and know the topic of the question, but not the response. The current search is completely useless in the vast majority of use cases for me (and many others as well, I would imagine).

• Jadin Hanson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Vote x 1000

As others have mentioned, this is a huge gap in functionality right now. It's hard to believe this was not thought of. Please compare your design to all of your competitors.

• Berney Villers commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a HUGE bug that makes our decision to interact in Teams rather than email, a VERY big mistake.

Since our switch to Teams, I can't look back through chats and see exactly what was said and when with regard to a particular topic. As another example, I may remember someone sharing a link with me on a particular subject 3-4 weeks ago. When I search on the subject, I find a message that I know was part of that conversation, but NOT the one with the link in it. I want to go see that message in context so as to find the link, but when I click 'Go To The Chat', it just takes me to the very last thing I talked with that person about today, not the message from some weeks ago.

Basically, using Teams to communicate means that you must have a perfect memory because no historical information can be recalled by search! This is a TREMENDOUS burden/failure and it's been going on for months, if not longer. HELP!

• Mindy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, please! This used to work as described (Search, locate the result you want to view and double-click to open/view the specific chat in context). Now, I'm getting the "Go to the chat" link which does take me to the chat with the person from the search, but instead of the specific chat, it takes me to the most recent/end of the chat. Talk about frustrating!

• Mindy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, please! This used to work as described (Search, locate the result you want to view and double-click to open/view the specific chat in context). Now, I'm getting the "Go to the chat" link which does take me to the chat with the person from the search, but instead of the specific chat, it takes me to the most recent/end of the chat. Talk about frustrating!

• Ryan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree! Instead of simply going to the chat, it should go to the found message IN CONTEXT. My biggest complains with Teams are (1) can't save out chats, and (2) can't delete old junk. Therefore this "Go to Chat" weakness is a symptom of those. If I could clean out old junk, I wouldn't need to scroll up through months of junk to find what I'm looking for. And being able to save out chats is a predecessor to me being ready to delete old junk. If these can't be implemented first, then "Go to Chat" should be user friendly enough to "Go to Chat in Context of Found Message".

• Craig Daniels commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You really need to add option to jump into chat at the point in time of the selected result. You can see the date of the matching result. However, when you jump out of search back to chat it is a dreadful experience to scroll up a chat history page by page if the result is far in the past!!!

Feedback and Knowledge Base

You are about to visit the UserVoice site for Microsoft Teams

We have partnered with UserVoice, a 3rd party service providing public discussion forums for product-specific feedback.

By clicking "Continue to UserVoice" you agree to UserVoice's Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.