How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Import / Export for data migration between tenants

At my IT company we are frequently working on Office 365 migration projects. We're also working on some merger / carve-out projects so we frquently need to move data out of tenant no 1 and re-import that data to tenant no #2.
Currently this cannot be done by the existing graph api, as there is no support to access several data like chat conversation etc.
Unfortunately, a support request answered that it's also not possible to get that from the support right now.

I'd like to request some export-team and import-team functionality
• Export should be possible to an Azure storage account or local file.
• Import should be possible from an Azure storage account or local file.
• all data from the team site should be included in the export, such as sharepoint content incl. item history information, chat history, etc
• On import, it must be able to set a new team owner in the target tenant
• Users that are listed in the last modified content, but are not present in the target tenant, should be shown as string with some "not existent" information tag
• It's not required for the data export to be readable on-premises, as we want to move it between tenants, we do not want to do Offboarding at that step.
• A short howto for use by powershell (or graph api) must be included at the resulting functionality

Ideally I would like to have an export cmdlet like that
Export-MicrosoftTeam -team name -tenant mytenantname -credential sourcecred -outputtarget storagetype -targetlocation somepathtomystopragetarget
Ideally I would like to have an import cmdlet like that
import-MicrosoftTeam -team targetname -tenant mytargettenant -credential targetcred -inputstorage storagetype -inpputlocation somepathtomystopragetarget -newtargetowner newownerinmytenant

275 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Martin Gudel shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

15 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Ben commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have this exact requirement now. We need to migrate over 100 teams from Company A's tenant to Company B's tenant.

• Danny commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If you perform a Content Search for Teams and Office 365 Groups, you will be able to see all Group Conversations and Teams Chat Files, but some of the Teams Chat Files are unreadable. Most likely because they need to be imported back into Teams to readable. Definitely need a better way of exporting data, but most definitely need a way of importing the data

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Anyone know of any 3rd Party Vendors that can complete a Tenant to Tenant migration of Teams?

Please make the teams migration available. Or even better mak a set of options where multiple tenants names can work together / coëxist as if it's one tenant.

Make Microsoft Great Again!

It is hard to make a business case to push everyone to MS cloud services with no way of doing tenant to tenant migrations as part of M&A. More export/import tools should be developed to assist in these scenarios. Thanks.

We just went through an internal integration of two tenants, and I'm here to tell you, if I had to tell one of our customers (we are an SI) what our IT team had to tell us about Teams migrations not being available or supported, we would have no customers.

Upvote this!

• Jaime Munera commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I cannot believe this is not currently a major issue with so many mergers and acquisitions happening in the corporate world...

• Steve commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Absolutely crucial for us too, we can't use Teams at the moment as we need to migrate to another tenancy at the end of the year and it'll be a nightmare to move 500 users without their Teams sites

• Anthony G commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I understand export to other tools may not be in MS Teams interests, but at least please allow import and export to another MS Teams app on another domain is critical please!!

• Anthony G commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with this, the whole company merge and acquire, if this app is used in companies there must be a way to export and import whole teams and channels when we change domains. To further had insult to injury we can not easily export conversations.

We can lose a lot of key data for a project for a client/s when we have to shut down our domain when we move to another one.

• Terry Mc commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm finding this to be a real problem in my organization. We went all in on Teams, then we were acquired. We are small enough that we can manually recreate Teams/channels in new tenant and move files, but the chat and channel conversations will be gone.

Chat and conversations was our main reason to use Teams. Files are just SharePoint. So basically there are zero migration options.

• Paul Flaherty commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would probably also spin it for office 365 groups too.

I would expect it to export all the members & owners, channels, email addresses , connectors, files, conversations and tabs. Then enable it to be imported in to either an existing or new office 365 group.

The teams client already captures this stuff and the easy way would be to add the import/export ability to it.

Feedback and Knowledge Base