How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

desktop app not reconnecting

Desktop app does not do a very good at reconnecting if it drops connection to wireless or network and then reconnects. It will try a couple of times, but then fails.

68 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

21 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Sonny Ramsay commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A "Try to reconnect" button would allow me to easily retry the connection without having to close the app and relaunch it.

• Josh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think the solution to this is just lighting the application on fire and then using something else.

• Arno Tolmeijer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I had a strange experience the last couple of days with Teams connectivity. At the office, the connection was great. At home, it was poor. I had to reinstall Teams to have an initial connection, consequtive connections failed - both wired and wireless.
    Today I noticed Network Detetion was disabled. When I enabed it, Teams connected fine again, both wired an unwired.

• Bart Read commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Relates to https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/555103-public/suggestions/20612899-desktop-app-not-reconnecting and https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/555103-public/suggestions/19404844-teams-app-loosing-connection.

Incredibly irritating, please fix. On the first link I've made it clear what the expected behaviour is, both in terms of reconnection, and of handling messages posted whilst disconnected.

Relates to this: https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/555103-public/suggestions/20612899-desktop-app-not-reconnecting

Teams handling of disconnect/reconnect is shockingly poor and constantly causes me issues as I often work in different locations/change networks. It's a pain in the neck: the thing needs to get out of my way and let me get on with my work.

Same problem. Teams is appalling at handling network changes, sleep/wake/reconnect, termporarily loss of connectivity. It's *incredibly* frustrating. Most of the time I'm forced to restart the app, which is also annoying because teams is *incredibly* slow to start up.

Seriously, here is the behaviour I expect:

- When reconnectedTeams takes no more than 5 - 10 seconds to realise there's a viable network connection, and reconnect.

- When I send messages whilst disconnected I don't expect Teams to whinge about it and fail to send the message: I expect it to automatically send the message when it reconnects. I know Teams is an IM client but some sense of asynchronicity is fine: I want to be able to fire and forget, not be forced to babysit, especially because when you switch channels you may not realise your last message didn't send, which is *bad* if the message is important.

• Aliona commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The desktop app does not reconnect automatically after internet connection is lost and up again. You need to click on "Reconnect" and neither this doesn't work all the times. Only the PC restart solves it. Teams app should reconnect automatically once Internet is up again (like Skype).

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Teams is like an app written 20 years ago. This is the modern age when people are mobile... laptops are put to sleep. Wifi switched off on planes etc.

Teams needs to automatically self-reconnect. On Wifi connected, reconnect! So simple.

(And thanks for it being offline all yesterday due to this issue. I really didn't miss those missed calls!)

• Hans Hong (dyndragon) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same issue, but in addition even after it seems to have reconnected, the channels are not showing the latest messages. Only way to fix it is to quit the app and relaunch.

• John Gruber commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think my largest issue is caused by the lack of notification. If the Teams icon in my task bar blinked, or a snackbar popup in the bottom right alerted me of the disconnect I can manually address the problem.

• Nate commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are having the same issue organization-wide 3000+ computers. It is random and very intermittent. As the network administrator I am getting tickets because it looses "network connectivity" but the computer in whole is online and operational. I have example log files I can submit for review.

• Andreas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Surprised there's not more complaints here, several of my colleagues are having the same problem. Likely also related to disconnecting form docking stations or possibly switching networks in general.

• Mitch Etter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've had trouble when the VPN connection drops or when I dock/undock my laptop switching between wired and wireless connections. It seems like I have to restart the Windows client app at least once a day because of changing network connections

When I switch on my laptop, if there is not LAN connection (I have still not connected the wire, or Wifi is disabled), TEAMs starts disconnected and never notify me about this until I try to open TEAMS. The app should try for a connection every x minutes and/or notify user about that issue.

I find teams pretty much unusable on my commute to work, train based wifi isn't great. When connection drops, app has to restart, which it may or may not do. I don't have this same issue with skype. I want to use teams, but this is a 3 hour slot in my day when I am a team of one again!!!

• Neil Arrowsmith commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's worse than that - i'm told that, if you have Teams minimised, the loss of connection is completely silent and you won't know it's happened (and hence will miss notifications) until you check.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base

You are about to visit the UserVoice site for Microsoft Teams

We have partnered with UserVoice, a 3rd party service providing public discussion forums for product-specific feedback.

By clicking "Continue to UserVoice" you agree to UserVoice's Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.