How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Mute a channel - (Mute Chat is complete)

I'd love to keep groups/channels in my list, but mute a channel so I don't get those. I get notified whenever some tags a channel eg @General, it's super distracting!

Also would like the possibility to mute a group chat, so no sound or mobile notification should be received for a user that chooses to mute some group chat.

664 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Ismail Jones shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

101 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • j r commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm going crazy over here. Please make this function available. I'm a member of way too many teams and It's WAYYYY too distracting to get a million notifications all the time.

• Jakob commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why is it taking a year and a half to get a button added in a chat application? I get that Microsoft is a large company with lots of things on their plate. But if my software team took 18 months for something as simple as adding a button to our application, we'd be out of a job. Our clients would go elsewhere because it would be apparent we didn't know what we were doing.

This feature was requested summer of 2017, according to this particular thread, and may have been requested even earlier in a different one. It's now 2019 and there's still no end in sight. I'm forced to use Teams in my office for inter-department communication, but I shouldn't be forced to listen to Jack and Bill yammer on and on about something they saw on the roadside. If I make a comment in a channel one time, I shouldn't be forced to listen to and be notified of the next 30 people that make comments, and go on to talk about other things. I should be able to mute a channel if I want. This should have been a feature released on day 1 with the application. I don't know why it's taking so long to add something so simple.

• Ian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Seriously.. this is taking way too long. Teams is a good app, but this feature is desperately needed. We cannot do without it

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

is this anywhere near completion? Teams is a valuable application, but i simply can't have banter in the "off-topic" or "watercooler" group chat setting off alerts on my phone.. currently this is the BIGGEST issue with Teams being fully adopted and utilized, that i can see (aside from the resource-hungry java-ness of it all.. though you've done a great job of slimming it down recently!)... consider this scenario: I'm driving to a client's office to access a server that's down, which doesn't have idrac or ilo etc., and teams notifications are coming in on my phone.. i pull over, open teams, and find that it's not my boss with some important details, it's the guys in our NOC chatting about Dragonball Z or planning a Smash Brothers switch tournament.. so I continue on my way.. phone dinging again, and ... it's more banter.. so i mute teams. get to the location and look at my phone - there's two important messages from my boss, our CTO, telling me to turn around and head back to the NOC to pick up some hardware they forgot to send to the client. We need selective mute capability now, or at least customized alerts per-chat-instance.. please?

I can't believe this isn't done yet. Such a basic feature is taking over a year of development?

We are going back to skype.

• Jack Chiles commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Seriously, where are you all on this? Having morons and slackers consistently spam channels that you're force-joined to is a problem - sure, it's HR's problem, but there needs to be a technical solution too.

• Josh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please add this feature ASAP, very annoying this simple and necessary function has not been implemented yet.

Requesting from another team that needs this functionality! Please add ability to mute a channel!

• John Lee commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can't believe this doesn't have more votes. This NEEDS to be a high priority. Slack had this from the get-go.

If you guys are still working on this 1 year later, at least put the ability to toggle notifications on / off for channels. put all the extra stuff in later ! ... we need at least some kind of simple fix for this issue that is causing us all issues.

• mr no commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How can I leave or mute a channel? I can't find any info on this.

Any news on this update? its been so long since you've started "working" on this. this is the most annoying feature of microsoft teams I litterally have my mailbox filled and phone notifications filled up to the brim with random things from everyone in my company. I bet if Microsoft used their own products they would fix this in a huge hurry

+100. Without this basic feature, we can't use MS Teams at all.

More than 12 months passed after the first "working on" reaction. How difficult is it to fix this in your Teams team?

Provide ETA.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6

Feedback and Knowledge Base