How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Channel adding error: "An error has occurred while creating the channel."

When attempting to create another channel in a Team the error message appears:
"An error has occurred while creating the channel."
No further info, and restarting or refreshing Teams does not resolve it.

40 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Kobus shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

42 comments

Comments are closed
    • DanO commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just a quick follow-up: After waiting (overnight) 12+ hours, we are now once again able to create Channels. I have no idea what may have changed to fix the issue.

I forgot to mention that I tried logging out and back in, restarting the client, using the browser client intead, all to no avail. The existing teams that I'm trying to create a Channel under are Public.

Same problem here. No amount of mangling Team permissions, description, etc. has fixed it. Our entire company is no longer able to create Channels.

• Steve S commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Also getting this error and as I'm not the owner of the Team I can't make a dummy change to the team.

• Heber commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Haven't been able to add channels in a while now. Tried making the team public and that worked. Changed to private after adding the channels that I needed.

• Klas B commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I keep getting this on Mac client as well as browser. Restart won't help. @Suphatra; what "logs" do you mean?

• Marion NADDEO commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have the same problem but when I change the teams description, it doesn't work. I have to wait and try again to create the channel.

• Kenneth Nilssen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi, I also get the same error as others, tested with the app and with browser.
      I cannot make the team public, as its our IT channel. Please help out.

• Ian Bennett commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I get the same, but changing the public/private settings does seem to correct it as per Steve's comment.

• Steve Kurth commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Had this issue today when trying to create a channel for a team I own. Tried a lot of different things, but eventually what seems to have resolved the issue for me was changing the team from private to public. After adding the channel, I was also able to change the team back to private.

• Rakesh Chauhan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

...Following on from this, after making an amendment to the description of a Team in the Admin Portal, logging out of the Team and then back in, i was able to add a new Channel...but surely shouldnt need to do this for all our Teams...

• Rakesh Chauhan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have started to have this issue today also. What is the fix please? Could it be fall back from restoring the current Teams Advisory - TM115635 - Unable to search new conversations?

• James Emanuelli commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Added a fullstop into the teams description. Can now create channels. Does the saving of the team at a high level refresh something or change the version number of the team? tis an odd one!

• James Emanuelli commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Tried the same action in online web version but it errored in the same way. How do you access the logs from the online version?

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base