How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Rename Teams tab doesn't propagate to Planner

Very much like renaming a Team doesn't rename the SharePoint site, renaming a Planner tab in Teams doesn't rename the Plan in Planner. Please fix. This is a mess.

67 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Bryan shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

17 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hey guys. I came here to add my vote, but then realized something that makes me believe this is actually not a bug, even though it calls for an additional query when changing the Planner tab name in Teams.

When creating a new plan in Planner, it gets a PLAN NAME. When this plan is integrated in Teams as a tab, this tab gets a TAB NAME. The two are different names. Thus, when changing the tab name in Teams, this should not automatically update the plan name in Planner, because the tab name is in fact an alias. However, I vote that Teams should ask whether the plan name in Planner should be changed too when the tab name is changed. Hope this makes sense.

If only 56 people voted for this it shows that very few people actually use Planner with Teams. this way of managing a product doesn’t really work. No problem like this with Trello at all! Should we all abandon Planner? Does the renaming in the Hub flow back to Teams?

• Matthew Jarsky commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't really want this feature. Here is why:
    When I am looking at Planner tab in a Teams Channel (named "Project A" for example), I can easily see that the plan belongs to Project A and for that reason, having the tab just be named "Planner" or "Tasks" or whatever is perfect.

But I wouldn't want to look at Planner Hub and see twenty plans named "Planner".

Conversely, I don't want or need to see a tab named "Project A Planner" in Teams, when "Planner" will do.

• Clif commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is still happening 18 months after first reported. Obviously, fixing this isn't a high priority for Microsoft.

• Priscilla commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There appears to be a workaround. In Planner hub it is possible to change the planner name. Click on the desired planner, then click on ... , plan settings and change the planner name from there.

• Cathy Beaudoin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same issue here. I too named them all the same thing, I need the Tasks in planner (also in My Task view) to show the Team and Channel name so I can differentiate between the tasks.

• Stefan Helmer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Problem for me too. We have 3 project suites on the go in testing right now and there are lots of little things like this that are making us shy away from the Microsoft solution.

• Melanie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've just experienced this same issue as I need to re-name my planner tab (I named them all the same), which was a very poor choice (I thought the channel name would differentiate). Now when I rename them, Planner continues to use the original name. Is there a solution?

• Andrew commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've noticed that referential integrity is a huge issue throughout Teams, any update on this one?

We utilise a Planner for each of our projects . Some projects have been updated to a new name due to growth or expansion. We want to be able to reflect the project name in planner but rename does not update - Please update Planner so the rename option is effective.

• Andrew O'Shea commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would have thought if you are showing plans from within Teams that you would make it update dynamically. Surely this is not that hard to code? We have 8 teams that set up Planner within their teams using the name Planner. For the PM managing this from Planner, they have no clue which plan belongs to which team. We have even renamed them within the Teams, and still no change in Planner. Our PM is going a little crazy!

• Martin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have still the same problem. Renaming a Planner tab in Teams doesn't rename the Plan in Planner. Half a year sounds like enough time to change it. Please fix this issue. Thanks.

Feedback and Knowledge Base

You are about to visit the UserVoice site for Microsoft Teams

We have partnered with UserVoice, a 3rd party service providing public discussion forums for product-specific feedback.

By clicking "Continue to UserVoice" you agree to UserVoice's Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.