How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Password Protection on folders and files within individual teams

While we have multiple different members on individual teams, we have several different folders and individual files that we would like to be able to protect with passwords so that not all members of teams are able to view them without having to create new teams only for those specific folders and files. While we are able to password protect individual files before they are uploaded, it is difficult to do this for folders and will also require time to re-upload files that are already on our team sites.

Being able to place password protection on our existing folders and files already uploaded to our team sites will allow us to maintain a greater level of control over who is able to view, edit and/or delete certain items without having to edit our existing memberships and keep our number of teams to manage at a minimum to improve productivity.

Thank you,

Charl

39 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Charl8309 shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

8 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In an educational setting this would allow group work with a group pw and we could make 'escape rooms' in Teams with password protection as the locks.

• Paul commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would also like to understand if this is possible. I have a number of users in TEAMS, and in particular I am keen to understand if it is possible to provide "view only" access, as currently it is possible to change documents through switching to the "online" version of the document.

This would be a welcome increase in functionality as some execs get nervous with the information sitting there with no access control. Which means that all documents need to be password protected which results in being unable to access the files in TEAMs

This would be helpful for me too. The only password protection I can find seems to be within Staff Notebook, rather than at the tab / file / folder level, unfortunately.

Feedback and Knowledge Base