How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

video meeting participant layout

Currently each participant in a meeting gets equal layout space wether the camera is on or off. If one participant is presenting using the Camera, I want to see that one camera instead of a slice of everyones camera equally. I should be able to change the layout so I only see the image of a selected participant or the image of the person currently talking.

88 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Ricardo.arroyo shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

15 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anthony Elgan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

With Skype for Business being integrated into Teams, will we have better control over the participant layouts?

• [Deleted User] commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have offices in multiple locations and use teams when we inform our staff. When we all connect, we lose the chance to follow the speaker in a good way. We would like to have the opportunity to choose which participants we want to see in the big window so we can more easily attend the meeting.

• Cassandra Crawford commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Here are some Meeting Layout Options I'd like to see:

Spotlight Lock, for TownHall style meetings.
        6 Square option - For Q&A panels
        8 Square Option - For DR Response teams or other emergency action teams.

• Richard Jones commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

People are crying out for better layouts in Skype and teams will be not different. We ask users to use Skype for VC calls and the lack of good, customizable layouts for video is a serious flaw to usability and sends us looking at third party services.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is desperately needed.

Question: Why give a spot on the main grid to a user not presenting at all? Our meetings almost always have a dozen people, only one of which presents at a time. Most never turn their camera on at all.

From the dark side, those pixels must return!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes.. Awesome enhancement! Meeting chair should be able to toggle "show participant list" .. and if list is displayed... participants should be able to select which ones they want to see.. and / or toggle view when speaking .. etc..

• JyriK commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We want this. The user should be able to somehow switch the speakers video full screen.

• JK commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd like to be able to move the particpants up to the top of the window as well, so they are closer to my camera. As it is, everyone is always looking down, because participants are at the part of the screen furthest away from most webcams.

• Stacia commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree. When participants are split, you don't get a widescreen view o the room, either. In order to see everyone in the room, you would only want to see the person who is currently talking.

• Louise Bedwell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd just like to have a more balanced layout of participant video feeds, where we can customise the layout and screen size dedicated to each participant depending on need at the time -
        one time it might be a presentation where its important to dedicate as much screen size as possible to the presenter,
        another it might be a 1-2-1 or interview we want to be able to record where the videos are more equally sized,
        or it may be a conference call where we want to be able to view reactions from all participants.

Its this interview style that's currently defeating us, as the caller's video is tiny, and the person being called is taking up all the screen, where we'd prefer a more 50/50 scenario.

• Eric Renken commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be great for us as well. I would also like to be able to PIN a video on my screen. I might want one video to take up the whole top part of the screen and then show the thumbnails of other users video in the bottom like you do when there are more than 4 people in the meeting.

Feedback and Knowledge Base