How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

OneNote is broken on Teams

Late last week, OneNote on Teams stopped working whether you are using the desktop application or the web based. Creating a new OneNote tab on Teams, it still does not work as well. All we get for a message is:

"We can't access this notebook.

You might not have permissions to view it, but your IT Admin show be able to help you."

Previously, OneNote had been working. If OneNote is accessed directly with OneNote application, it will work fine.

This appears to be a bug on Teams as others are reporting the same issues as well. Could this be checked out and fixed?

62 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Chris Ficek shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

If you are hitting the document library of 20,000 items please try this solution.
    It is a known issue for OneNote.
    (Let’s try that again with the correct link :) ) https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/onenotedev/2016/09/11/onenote-api-calls-fail-with-a-large-number-of-items-in-a-sharepoint-document-library/

If you are experiencing something else, please let me know the error messages you are seeing in the comments below.
    -Warren

33 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Pat commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are still having all the same or similar issues mentioned by all others posting here.
        I don't want to just repeat what everyone else is reporting, so I'll keep it as brief as possible:
        When our O365 Administrator sets all the members of our pilot team to allow editing of the shared Teams / OneNote Notebook, it will work for a couple hours, but inevitably we lose our edit permissions and are only able to view.
        Teams logs don't show me anything pointing to a permissions error, but then I'm not exactly sure what I should be looking for in the log for my individual Teams log.
        Please FIX this ASAP.

• Pat commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are still having all the same or similar issues mentioned by all others posting here.
        I don't want to just repeat what everyone else is reporting, so I'll keep it as brief as possible:
        When our O365 Administrator sets all the members of our pilot team to allow editing of the shared Teams / OneNote Notebook, it will work for a couple hours, but inevitably we lose our edit permissions and are only able to view.
        Teams logs don't show me anything pointing to a permissions error, but then I'mnot exactly sure what I should be looking for in the log for my individual Teams log.
        Please FIX this ASAP.

• Larry Hector commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

OneNote inside Teams says I don't have access to notes for this meeting.

I'm the group owner.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Our educational Institution is trialing Teams and OneNote Colaboration spaces. It appears to be becoming a disaster.
        Sections are created for a couple of students at a time. As soon as the nominated students start working in this space they get conflict issues, overrides, access issues.
        It seems this OneNote collaboration space only works if 1 person uses it at a time!
        Is there a solution to this?!?

• Stewart Campbell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When I click on my OneNote tab in a team channel it says I do not have access even though I do. When I click the prompt to get access and enter my password the one note opens up. And it has the notes that I input via the Teams one note tab when it was functioning. So it’s the correct one note. But it is no longer really available from the tab like it should be.

copy pages in desktop onenote into Team onenote and it keep freezes. notes not being updated in team. please fix this. would like to use Team to manage everything that is required for the project.

Where did my comments in a OneNote page go?!? I have a Note created through a Microsoft Teams site that we have been using and updating for the last 4-5 months as part of this project. Over the last 3 days, updates to a page in OneNote lost all the edits and updates. This occurred on 6/7/2018. These updates were done over a Skype web conference so many saw the updates and contributed to the content. Teams showed it was saving. Now, today, the content is reverted to the original content outline from 6/5/2018. Nothing is available in the recycle bin to restore the lost work. This is frustrating and difficult to evangelize this for collaboration.

• John White commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks Warren - although to be clear - that's not a solution - it simply avoids the issue. In our case, the >20,000 items in a library is a necessary business requirement, and we can't bring it under.

• Rick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sorry, we can't perform the request if one of the user or group's document libraries contains more than 20,000 items. I get the same type of notice using the webclipper. Help.

• Scott commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Tried to add an external guest to a Team. The guest can get access to everything in the Team except for the Class Notebook.
        The error is:
        We're having trouble with finding your notebook.
        Try refreshing the page after a few minutes or check back later.
        Does ClassNotebook not support this? If so where is the documentation?

• MCarleton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just spent several hours over a few days moving all my OneNotes onto Microsoft Teams and created it through the Microsoft Teams app, then created a OneNote, then used the option to opened the OneNote in desktop OneNote so I could copy/move all sections from a previous local OneDrive version of my OneNotes into the Sharepoint shared Assets OneNote and it worked fine for about an hour or so then I was locked out of the OneNote either in OneNote application on my desktop (MacOS) and in Microsoft Teams (online version). Ridiculous, Microsoft I want to embrace your new way of working and your collaborative software and was willing to make the move, but you seem to release things when they aren't ready (Not ready for Prime Time) and then we as an organization move back away and back into Outlook email. This is the second time we have tried to embrace a new way of working with Office 365 and the various applications (last time it was Planner) and we kept having bugs so we moved away from that. This was our second time I don't know if I will be able to change behaviors again with 2 failed attempts. Get you software stable before you market it and push it.

• CK commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Had this issue recently for a single user. Resolved by refreshing the user profile

• Russell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

i'm also having the issue with setting up a onenote file in teams...
        Strangely, i can see the onenote files that i have tried to setup in teams when i look in "manage notebooks" in Office 365... but they don't appear in the team that i originally created them in.

Trying to setup OneNote using Teams does not work - get message saying to the effect "Please Try Again - We had a Problem setting up your class OneNote. Try again in a moment..." Really unhelpful... Have tried 6 times now.

• Jarno Heinonen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Having same kind of issues, one Teams -site doesnt have anymore option to add OneNote book to channels. On affected Teams -site i have OneNote at one Channel.

Any help available?

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base