How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Take me to the target message: Search performance in chats

Searching for something works (mostly), however if the thing you're search for is sufficiently far back in time, then it's nigh impossible to actually get results back. Clicking the message says "go to chat to see the rest", but clicking on that does nothing but take you back to the chat at the current time, rather than the target message. If you bookmark the message and try to get at the location in chat via that, then the client just lags and eventually crashes. (while chewing up 100% CPU) Tried the desktop client (developer preview), web client Chrome, web client Edge, all won't work for really big chats. It seems like it's trying to load the entirety of the chat conversation between now and the point in time that the message happened and then also trying to render and scroll up for that. This is crazy inefficient. It should load a few screens before that chat message, a few after, and then redraw. (so that total effort is nearly 0 rather than "10,000 lines of chats")

57 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Jonathon Wyza shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

4 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Scott commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please. This is obviously necessary functionality. I want to jump back to that particular conversation when I search of it.

• Wazza commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Totally agree with this. I need to see the messages before and after the one I located using search. So "go to chat" should place me in history at that point. Otherwise it is a pretty useless feature. Check Slack for how this should work.

• Jennifer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just ran into this. Search result was from March & I reallllllly do not wish to scroll back to March to see the context of that one single chat match.

• Ankur Johar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Like the usual chat window, I want to search for the particular topic I discussed with my team member two months ago.
    Usually, in Skype for business, you can go to conversation history folder in outlook and search for the text. Since, MS Team chat is not archived in outlook. It makes impossible to search for the previous chat. I have to scroll back to 2 months of chat to findout what we discussed and what was the decision.

So, I am proposing to have the search option (either a menu option or Ctrl+F) to search for particular text.

Feedback and Knowledge Base