How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Incorrect status in teams

We have noticed that our Teams statuses are consistently incorrect. Even when some team members are active in Teams they are shown as "away" or "offline". For example, although I can see that my status is "active", my colleagues see my status as "offline".

Can you please fix this bug?

846 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi — My apologies for the delay in updating this item. We rolled out a fix a year ago for a specific issue of status changing to away in Teams when you were still active on the device. We thought this had fixed the “incorrect status” issue. From comments below, it sounds like people are still seeing issues.

If you are still having issues, it would be super helpful if you can capture logs by typing Ctrl + Shift + Alt + 1, and send the file from your downloads folder along with device info and detailed repro steps to teamsml@microsoft.com.

Thanks all!

236 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Gary Stern commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

status consistently changes to busy and I need to switch it back to available. very frustrating

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

BUSY STATUS ALWAYS COMES UP. AND WE ARE GETTING ANNOYED CHANGING TO AVAILABLE. IT'S BEEN MONTHS AND THIS IS ISSUE KEEPS GOING.

• CRW commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yup. This totally doesn't work. What's the plan guys? Is there a fix? Or a discount? Something to help use the product effectively would be great.

• Trevor Munday commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I saw my Teams status as being away and I couldn't change it manually. Then I noticed I had an Outlook pop up I hadn't viewed and the moment I viewed it my Teams was green active again. Seems that Teams interprets failing to view/action any other Office365 pop-up or activity (prompt for a meeting from Outlook or to save work when closing a Word doc for example) is seen as the user being away from their computer.

So if you see Teams as "away" then check if you have any Office apps asking for your attention.

• Joanne commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have been experiencing this issue, with Teams saying I am Out Of The Office, despite my OOO is switched off in Outlook, and there is nothing in my calendar. This is confusing the rest of the team in other offices as they don't know if I am actually in or not!

• Paul Vercellotti commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yeah, this issue persists - I'm shown as OOTO, but I'm not (nor is my outlook calendar), and I can't manually change my status.

• Jarad Garlesky commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are still having this today.... it keeps changing to Busy.... its been doing this for a few months now

• Shyju John commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My status is always set to Out of Office permanent by Teams even though i try to change it manually to any other statuses

• [Deleted User] commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just to add to this, I can't change from OOO to available and in the task bar Teams is showing as Do Not Disturb.

Yeah same as many are saying, a number of our users are showing as OOO and are unable to change this.

Yep. It keeps resetting my "Do not disturb" status back to "Available". Absolutely unacceptable.

• Shruki commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Come-on guys, get to it. This is basic functionality that's STILL not working right.
        The amount of times I see all of my contacts as offline, having to wait darned minutes for Teams to have a think about it then show me their actual status. It's pretty sad.

• Ed commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why does MS not respond to this thread. This is a major issue people are screaming about and the last update was in January almost 7 months ago. This is a ridiculous issue that is causing real pain for probably, tens of thousands of people. Just fix it, stop adding new unnecessary features and make this thing work for what 90+ percent of us use it for. Once it is working well, then start adding bells and whistles.

Just FYI, I'm sitting here staring at my status as out of office, when I returned two days ago. Does anyone have a workaround for this ridiculous issue?

• Mikey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can't set my own status or see anyone else's status either. Using teams on mac and in chrome. None work. All statuses are white even when I try to change it to online. Works fine for the rest of the team on the same network.

Feedback and Knowledge Base