How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Incorrect status in teams

We have noticed that our Teams statuses are consistently incorrect. Even when some team members are active in Teams they are shown as "away" or "offline". For example, although I can see that my status is "active", my colleagues see my status as "offline".

Can you please fix this bug?

753 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

223 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • [Deleted User] commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Suphatra,

the behavior has changed slightly over the last weeks, but in Microsoft Teams Version 1.0.00.22051 (64-bit) I still have nearly all of the aforementioned bugs (plus maybe some more):

* Some contacts appear as "Offline" to me, until they actually respond in the chat. They claim to have been "Available" all the time.
        * Some contacts appear as "Status unknown", although they haven't started MS Teams for days (and thus should be "Offline")
        * The status indicator on the left main menu (on my picture) does often just show a yellow "Away" icon, although the menu that is opened on click shows a green "Available"
        * The menu that is opened on click on my picture shows a ***** "Status unknown", although the indicator on my picture shows "Away"
        * My status does not remain "Available" when I do not actively use MS Teams (contrary to how Skype for Business works, with monitoring computer activity)
        * Even if I move the mouse over the MS Teams window, it might take half a minute for my status to be updated to "Available" again

So please ********, don't think all these problems magically resolve themselves, and raise this to the development team...

• Timothy Williams commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, still an issue with Microsoft Teams Version 1.0.00.23451 (64-bit). I didn't realize we had to keep reporting issues once they are reported, unless they've been marked as completed.

• Andrew commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, still happening, stopped reporting. Beginning to lose faith in uservoice.
        :)

• hali commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I imagine people are just giving up on reporting issues, and this is the reason number of reports dropped. I know I won't bother reporting anything until the major bugs such as this Notifications issue and well known inability to leave a chat room are fixed.

It will keep happening until you fix it. It is unlikely to magically fix itself. Yes, it is still happening.

• Jason Crabtree commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, this is still happening. First, it seems like it's designed to show if the user is actively using the Teams app. It needs to show if the user is actively using their computer (like Skype). Second, the status is still inconsistent. Most of my contacts always show away, although it's tough to tell how much of that is due to the first issue I mentioned.

• Jason Crabtree commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Finally got folks to give Teams another try, but we have a mutiny forming to head back to Skype due to this and some other UI/UX issues. I really don't want to go back to Skype.

• Brandon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is happening at our company as well. We always have to ask "are you there?" which is a huge annoyance. Microsoft, please fix this before we switch to Slack. Thanks.

• [Deleted User] commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The issues mentioned here already I can confirm as well, also that some people remain always on "Status unknown".

To add one more issue that has recently started to occur even more often:

The status indicator on the left main menu does often just show a yellow "Away" icon, although the menu that is opened on click shows a green "Available", as does any conversation view on the right. I think the app should at least be able to synchronize the locally shown statuses in the different places...

• Andrew commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Still happens for all users in all organizations - seems to be a /bug/ where if you are not active in the app it sets you as away - even if you are active in other areas of your computer.

I don't want to have to be active IN Teams - I want to do OTHER WORK on my machine and still be 'online' in Teams.

Seems very clear to be a bug.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

THis happens for my entire team in the US and Brazil.

Altough they are on their computer working, the status ONLY shows as avaiable if the persons is actually using the MS Teams to do something. If its on the background it will ALWAYS say that you are away.

PLease, fix that when you can.

Thank you.

If anyone else is having trouble with the run command, the file location is: C:\Users\NAME\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Teams\logs.txt

• Owen Roberts commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am using OSX 10.12.5. Status reports as away even when actively using the desktop. If you need logs, please specify for OSX.

Thanks, Suphatra, will do as much as it applies here. Could you please let me know where would those logs be on Mac OS?

• Melissa Zimmerman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's happening across my company as well. Even though we're trying to use Teams as an alternative to Skype for Business, I keep Skype for Business open so I can see people's true status.

Based on reading the comments, there are 2 issues here:

1. People are shown as offline or away, even when they are active on the application. E.g. if I'm chatting with them on Teams (this is the original issue I raised)

2. People want to be shown as "active" even when they aren't active on the application, but on other applications on their computer (similar to Skype for Business)

I agree that both of these things should be resolved, but to give you feedback on issue #1 - yes this is happening across the company. However I haven't noticed it this week, so I will have to update you if it starts happening again.

This is happening at least to my team, but since people from different companies left feedback on this very page, I'd say this is happening to everyone. It has not resolved itself.

Yep, it also leads to a usability bug where you get notifications on the mobile app while you are working on your laptop, because Teams thinks you are away. Hello, tons of unnecessary notifications I have to clear up or scroll through to see important notifications on my phone.

Feedback and Knowledge Base