How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Incorrect status in teams

We have noticed that our Teams statuses are consistently incorrect. Even when some team members are active in Teams they are shown as "away" or "offline". For example, although I can see that my status is "active", my colleagues see my status as "offline".

Can you please fix this bug?

846 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi — My apologies for the delay in updating this item. We rolled out a fix a year ago for a specific issue of status changing to away in Teams when you were still active on the device. We thought this had fixed the “incorrect status” issue. From comments below, it sounds like people are still seeing issues.

If you are still having issues, it would be super helpful if you can capture logs by typing Ctrl + Shift + Alt + 1, and send the file from your downloads folder along with device info and detailed repro steps to teamsml@microsoft.com.

Thanks all!

236 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Manish Shokeen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Teams show me "Away" once I stop chatting. When can we expect this issue to be resolved. As far as I know this sis a known issue but it's solution hasn't come yet.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Consistently having problem with my profile not showing as available when I am and am actually clicking/typing in Teams. This is a common problem everyone in my organization is having problems with.

• John commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Another vote for having it work like Skype and also interface with Outlook if a person is in a meeting

• DJC commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Trying to migrate away from Slack and Skype, and the way the Status indicator works now is COMPLETELY USELESS...sorry to be harsh....but it is a joke. Simply put, the way it works in SKYPE is how it should work...why fix what was not broken, please fix!

Half our team is marked as offline even though they are chatting to other people on teams.

I am marked as away even though I am clicking on people in the app within windows.

• Len Krygsman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are just starting to look at teams and, with a completely fresh deploy as of yesterday, we are seeing this problem, too. The status of team members doesn't update until you chat them, which rather defeats the point.

• Justyn Davidson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes still broken. Please look into this because it's a severe viability issue in pitching this to my company for wide adoption. I'd love to replace Jabber but accurate Presence is an absolute must.

It seems that my status shows Away until I actually interact with Teams UI, then it takes a minute for it to update. Same for other team members - they show Away until I IM them then they respond, and turn Available.

would like it to work like skype - interfacee with Outlook calendar and also detect activity

• Andrew Young commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is still broken. I just sent a chat to two Team members, joined, and they both responded, but their statuses are listed as Away. They are clearly not Away.

Hi, still happening for the team. For example, if a team member was on a Teams call after hanging up, it still appears that they are on a call (red status)

• Dev commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just went back over to Teams and I was listed as Away, but was typing in Outlook. Skype for Business had me as Available.

Hi. Same is happening for our team. We often see incorrect statuses on our Teams and in such cases a user with incorrect status might not even getting messages sent in a private chat or a group chat.

• [Deleted User] commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Suphatra,

the behavior has changed slightly over the last weeks, but in Microsoft Teams Version 1.0.00.22051 (64-bit) I still have nearly all of the aforementioned bugs (plus maybe some more):

* Some contacts appear as "Offline" to me, until they actually respond in the chat. They claim to have been "Available" all the time.
        * Some contacts appear as "Status unknown", although they haven't started MS Teams for days (and thus should be "Offline")
        * The status indicator on the left main menu (on my picture) does often just show a yellow "Away" icon, although the menu that is opened on click shows a green "Available"
        * The menu that is opened on click on my picture shows a ***** "Status unknown", although the indicator on my picture shows "Away"
        * My status does not remain "Available" when I do not actively use MS Teams (contrary to how Skype for Business works, with monitoring computer activity)
        * Even if I move the mouse over the MS Teams window, it might take half a minute for my status to be updated to "Available" again

So please ********, don't think all these problems magically resolve themselves, and raise this to the development team...

• Timothy Williams commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, still an issue with Microsoft Teams Version 1.0.00.23451 (64-bit). I didn't realize we had to keep reporting issues once they are reported, unless they've been marked as completed.

• Andrew commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, still happening, stopped reporting. Beginning to lose faith in uservoice.
        :)

• hali commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I imagine people are just giving up on reporting issues, and this is the reason number of reports dropped. I know I won't bother reporting anything until the major bugs such as this Notifications issue and well known inability to leave a chat room are fixed.

• hali commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It will keep happening until you fix it. It is unlikely to magically fix itself. Yes, it is still happening.

• Jason Crabtree commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, this is still happening. First, it seems like it's designed to show if the user is actively using the Teams app. It needs to show if the user is actively using their computer (like Skype). Second, the status is still inconsistent. Most of my contacts always show away, although it's tough to tell how much of that is due to the first issue I mentioned.

Feedback and Knowledge Base