How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Incorrect status in teams

We have noticed that our Teams statuses are consistently incorrect. Even when some team members are active in Teams they are shown as "away" or "offline". For example, although I can see that my status is "active", my colleagues see my status as "offline".

Can you please fix this bug?

900 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
needs your feedback  ·  AdminAlex (Teams Engineering, Microsoft Teams) responded  · 

Hi — My apologies for the delay in updating this item. We rolled out a fix a year ago for a specific issue of status changing to away in Teams when you were still active on the device. We thought this had fixed the “incorrect status” issue. From comments below, it sounds like people are still seeing issues.

If you are still having issues, it would be super helpful if you can capture logs by typing Ctrl + Shift + Alt + 1, and send the file from your downloads folder along with device info and detailed repro steps to teamsml@microsoft.com.

Thanks all!

259 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Eric commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

One thing I noticed is that there is a mismatch between what the Profile Pic/Icon in the Lower Left indicates (available/away/etc) and what the menu that pops up when you click on that icon says. What I see is that the 'away' icon is present on the unclicked profile pic icon and 'Available' is shown as the status in the menu that pops up with you click on it. The correct one in this case is 'available.' This is in Teams 1.00.28451.

Example Screenshot: https://imgur.com/a/s4f5x

• Becky York commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

we have this problem too, all my co-workers are marked as away all day long regardless of whether they are using their pc or not.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi everyone.
    Suphatra got in contact with me a while ago asking about this issue. Status are completely non-sense. Show me online ONLY when I have the Teams window open and looking at it, if I minimize the window or work on other other application, it changes to Away by itself.
    This is VERY bad as gives the sense that people are not there on their work stations when they actually are.
    Whats the status for this issue? Thank you.

• Patrick Buller commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If I set my status to Do not disturb, it won't stick and automatically goes back to Available. Also, I'll be actively working on my computer and the status goes to Away.

This is still and issue for us and I am starting to have company leaders complain about this and possibly move away from it. I would like to stay with it because it works quite well minus this piece.

Any ETA on fix? Will it look at a users calendar to determine status (like Skype)?

• Grady commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am experiencing this issue, You have Microsoft Teams Version 1.0.00.28451 (64-bit). It was last updated on 10/17/17.

• DJC commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

this is still broken on my end...DND does not work and the status just changes for no apparent reason

Still not working correctly. Showing as away and notifying on phone when working on pc but not in teams window. Please fix ASAP.

• JW Walton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, this is still a two part issue: 1. The Teams status should follow the SfB logic for what constitutes Active, Away, In a Meeting, etc. and 2. the client takes a long time or specific action(s) in the client to update status.

• Sula Dance commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Still an issue, Teams shows as Away unless you are active in the Teams window. Even then, the status takes a long time to update to Online (I either have to click on the Activity section, which makes it immediately update to Online, or I have to write a message to someone, and even then it can take a few messages to update).
    Teams really needs to have the same functionality as Skype or SfB, including being able to manually update your status or change the time for an Away status to show.

still happening for me. i was online all morning and my colleague said i was showing away

• Christina commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Update: My coworkers and I just noticed that even though we all see ourselves as active when chatting in Teams (green bubble over our pic in the corner), we all appear to have been away for a day to everyone else (yellow bubble, text for when we were last seen says "yesterday")

• Christina commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is still an issue for me... My status changes to away when the Teams app is in the background for about 3 minutes. I also get notifications on my phone because of this, even though I'm actively using my computer.

• fdossmann commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have the same problem, the availability between skype for business and Teams are not the same. skype show available when Teams show away...

• Craig Humphrey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Recently downloaded the App and it seems to get my status stuck on Away - even when I'm in, navigating around in the App.

v1.0.00.26863 (64-bit)

• L White commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Still not working. Skype for Business shows the correct presence but Team Site does not.

Still an issue.
    While logged into Teams, I can see my own status change from "Available" to "Away" after about 3 minutes of inactivity!

• Gianni commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Still a problem for people in our office. Most of us have multiple monitors, and Teams sometimes seems to mark people as "Away" when the window is not active, even though they're still at their computer.

• Trevor Styler commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This remains an issue with our clients who are finding it hard to make the transition to Teams and puts into question their evolution to Microsoft's other cloud-based offerings in O365.

Feedback and Knowledge Base