How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Incorrect status in teams

We have noticed that our Teams statuses are consistently incorrect. Even when some team members are active in Teams they are shown as "away" or "offline". For example, although I can see that my status is "active", my colleagues see my status as "offline".

Can you please fix this bug?

900 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
needs your feedback  ·  AdminAlex (Teams Engineering, Microsoft Teams) responded  · 

Hi — My apologies for the delay in updating this item. We rolled out a fix a year ago for a specific issue of status changing to away in Teams when you were still active on the device. We thought this had fixed the “incorrect status” issue. From comments below, it sounds like people are still seeing issues.

If you are still having issues, it would be super helpful if you can capture logs by typing Ctrl + Shift + Alt + 1, and send the file from your downloads folder along with device info and detailed repro steps to teamsml@microsoft.com.

Thanks all!

259 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Jack Tinsley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Beyond changing how the automatic status works, I would like the ability to have manual control over status.

• Julie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with the below comments - it's totally annoying to have Teams switch our status to Away/yellow just because we're not in the app, but we're working on our computers. This was an annoyance in Skype for Business too, but at least it gave you 20 minutes before marking you as Away, and if you were busy on your computer (mouse, taps, keyboard activity), it knew you were active. This should be a Preference setting, AND, you should be able to disable it or change the time it waits to mark you as Away.

• Ryan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Status showing as away when you haven't touched the teams app in 5 minutes but you are active on your computer is the only reason we haven't switched to Microsoft Teams yet.

• KarlZ commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Headline: Just do what Skype for Business did for showing status!

Details:
    Interesting... I've been trying to keep an eye on this. Here's what I think is going on. Correct me if I'm wrong. It seems to only track the activity within Teams. So if I'm not in the Teams app for a while (5 min) it goes to yellow. I agree with Andrew (and there are probably others). It should work like Skype for Business (SfB). If I'm doing anything on my machine, it should show me as Available unless I specifically set it to something else.
    The way SfB worked was fine. Just do that!

• KarlZ commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I definitely face it continually. Right now there are two of my team members that are green in Skype for Business (SfB) and only one shows green in Teams. Also, I was yellow (Away? Seems like Inactive isn't an option any more?) even though I'm sitting at my machine and it's been green in SfB the entire time.

• Paul van der Koore commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Last night around midnight one of our users reported I was available when I was logged off. Same happened when I replied to her this morning, she appeared to be online while she was still asleep.

• Atanas Dinev commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's something that shows you as "available" when you actually do use your device and as "away" when you step away from or do nothing with your _device_.

This thingy starts showing you as "away" every time you switch to another _application_, like to performing some *real* work for instance. Who gets paid for just staring at a messenger?

This creates a false perception for anybody looking at your status: "you are away, so you are doing nothing", which typically is quite the opposite.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Reports have probably dropped off because people are just giving up with complaining. Statuses are consistently incorrect and pointless to use at this point. I really miss the way they functioned when our company used Skype.

• Steffan Hoeke commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is happening for me; for example right now, my SfB status is "Busy" but my Teams status is "Available".

SfB has the option to "reset status", I can't find that in Teams...

• Dial commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'll set my status in Teams to Do Not Disturb so coworkers know to leave me alone when I'm busy working something important, but after I minimize Teams my status will change to whatever it feels like changing to (usually away... even though I'm not away). The status indicator is a joke in Teams, its never right, any manual change to it does not seem to take. Either fix it or get rid of it.

• [Deleted User] commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So far Microsoft, and in this case particularly Suphatra, has failed to give information about whether or when this problem will be approached. However, with the planned consolidation of Skype for Business and Teams, there is following on the roadmap (https://products.office.com/de-DE/business/office-365-roadmap?filters=microsoft%20teams):

Microsoft Teams - Integrated presence
    Ability for users in Skype for Business and Microsoft Teams to have the same presence state
    Feature ID: 15286

Might be interesting for some of you

• Alex St-Laurent commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I also noted that if I manually change my status to "busy" it somethimes go back to "available" by itself. I noted that behavior right after I finished a call. IMO the application should not change a status I picked manually.

The other behavior is that I would like to remain "available" as long as I am active on the computer, not necessarily active on TEAMS... skype for business, for example, managed statuses like that if I remember correctly.

• Serge commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can you please fix this bug. The status functionality does not work correctly most of the time with all our users using Teams.

• Markus commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

To be exact - the status is being displayed as "Unknown", not "Offline"

• Hagop Tamamian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is still happenings, whats the status? Profile picture status and the menu that pops up when clicking it is showing two different things, status is not reliable in teams, please fix.

Feedback and Knowledge Base