How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Incorrect status in teams

We have noticed that our Teams statuses are consistently incorrect. Even when some team members are active in Teams they are shown as "away" or "offline". For example, although I can see that my status is "active", my colleagues see my status as "offline".

Can you please fix this bug?

901 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
needs your feedback  ·  AdminAlex (Teams Engineering, Microsoft Teams) responded  · 

Hi — My apologies for the delay in updating this item. We rolled out a fix a year ago for a specific issue of status changing to away in Teams when you were still active on the device. We thought this had fixed the “incorrect status” issue. From comments below, it sounds like people are still seeing issues.

If you are still having issues, it would be super helpful if you can capture logs by typing Ctrl + Shift + Alt + 1, and send the file from your downloads folder along with device info and detailed repro steps to teamsml@microsoft.com.

Thanks all!

260 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • James commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We still have this issue. Looks like after 2 years it is not going to be fixed.

• Jose Pires commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have customers from several external organizations and was able to see their status correctly in Skype for Business. My organization was migrated to Teams this week and now all statuses are incorrect. I cannot trust status information displayed by Teams client. I have just sent the log files per instructions above. What is the expected timeline to fix this situation?

• Mike Sherrill commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I haven't experienced this myself, but the owners opened a ticket with me today on this problem. Teams shows some users as offline, although they are online, have Teams running, and their status appears as "Available" to themselves.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My presence is constantly displaying as available in my tray, but apparently does switch to away to others - I work on several computers and I need to know how my presence is displaying to others. Any fixes?

• Jenny commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have users who are showing available even when they are not here. And instead of showing users offline, they are just showing as away for days.

• Ron Prague commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We've got a few users still dealing with this. Our Director has shown as "In a Call" for 4 days straight now, nothing seems to fix the issue.

• Andres Correa commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Facing Issue with Teams logged out from all devices, but people still see my status Online. Any ideas about this? about 3 users in my company are facing this problem including myself.

Still facing this issue. I was shown available for the whole weekend and monday i was welcomed with 100s of bombarding messages.
    It was embarrassing and dangerous

• Darryl H commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Problem Description: Status is showing as 'Available, Out of Office'

My workflow consists of three behaviors that could be contributing to the incorrect status (for me, anyway)

- I have a OOTO block before and after my working shift every day (This means that Teams could be switching statuses for me more than expected)
    - I don't turn off my computer (So Outlook and Teams are not often restarted)
    - I do not use Outlook on my mobile

Workaround (For me -- AMMV)
    1) Force stop the app on my mobile
    2) Stop Teams on my desktop
    3) Stop Outlook on my desktop
    4) Start Outlook on my desktop
    5) Start Teams on my desktop
    6) Start the app on my mobile

Log Review
    From the logs (after the event, which aren't useful) it looks like the availability is working as expected now (14:07:46.968Z), however, there was at least one unknonwn status at 13:55:43.213Z but the status was known the last time it was checked previous to this event at 13:36:21.067Z which seems odd to me.

2019-05-29T14:07:46.968Z Inf UnifiedPresenceService: successfully published endpoint presence, activity - Available, availability - Available
    -<snip>--
    2019-05-29T14:07:45.433Z Inf UnifiedPresenceService: attempting to set availability - Available, activity - Available, isUserInitiated - false
    2019-05-29T14:07:45.431Z Inf PresenceService: Trying to set status, isUnifiedPresenceService=true, isForced=false, isRetriable=true, status=Online
    2019-05-29T14:07:45.431Z Inf PresenceService: restoreMyStatus with appState Interactive, machineState MachineActive, isForced=false, currentStatus=Online, newStatus=Online
    --<snip>--
    2019-05-29T13:55:43.214Z War PresenceService: [isEndpointConnected] call initiated by "PresenceService.setMyStatus" while UPS endpoint is disconnected.
    2019-05-29T13:55:43.214Z Inf PresenceService: Trying to set status, isUnifiedPresenceService=true, isForced=false, isRetriable=true, status=Online
    2019-05-29T13:55:43.213Z Inf PresenceService: restoreMyStatus with appState Inactive, machineState MachineActive, isForced=false, currentStatus=Unknown, newStatus=Online
    --<snip>--
    2019-05-29T13:36:21.067Z Inf PresenceService: restoreMyStatus with appState Interactive, machineState MachineActive, isForced=false, currentStatus=Online, newStatus=Online

• Jeremy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Adding simple granular controls over status would be super helpful instead of just having teams decide the status on it's own. We too are experiencing many issues with status and presence bugs in Teams.

My MS Teams randomly changes my status from "available" to "offline." I can change it back okay, but there appears to be no reason why it keeps changing to offline status.

One of my Team members stated that my status was "Available, Out of Office". That's not even one of the status options! Can't change with /Available, well it does but ',Out of Office' is still there.

• Martyn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Finally managed to get external contacts into Teams.....but there is no status information displayed.
    Has this been tested ?

this is genuinely rubbish. S4B is easy and quick. Navigating through Teams is like swimming in custard (cumbersome !). This is having a direct and detrimental impact on my business, as I cannot see when my customers are even online, let alone busy

• Alberto Lopez commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Still happening. 3 members of our company moved to "Teams only" and all 3 have the same issues. Even more, we have "Busy" on Teams app (we have a meeting) and it displays "available" on Teams online (web). To finish with this "trick", Skype for business presence is also "random", 2 of us are "available" and the other one is "offline" and cannot change it.

• Andreas Ott commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Had the same issue till yesterday. My Android-App got an update and after that it did just work. Might have something to do with that?

• Neil Bergman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is still an issue. The status in Skype for Business updates right away but it takes forever for the status in Microsoft Teams to update. Why? Is there nothing that can be done to fix this?

• Chassidy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is still an issue. Please update ALL of us who have voted and continue to voice our concerns over and over w no response!! It’s a simple, basic necessity...why doesn’t it work correctly.

• Mallikarjun commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

OOF not sync to teams, I turned off the OOF in Ooutlook however it still shows the OOF in Teams. Not able to change the status in Teams.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 12 13

Feedback and Knowledge Base