How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

owners/admins need ability to delete messages of others -

admins need the ability to delete users messages - this one thing is stopping me from leaving slack. need the ability to moderate.

41 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    we have this!  ·  AdminWarren (Microsoft Teams, Microsoft Teams) responded  · 

There seems to be some confusion around how this works. First off the ability to delete messages is off by default.

The IT Admin who setup the Teams environment will need to turn on the admin ability to delete messages. Once they have enabled the functionality, admins will be able to delete user messages.

If your IT Admin as enabled it and you still are having troubles please let me know in the comments below.
    -Warren

18 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Jason commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Warren I've turned on this ability (to the best of my knowledge according to your brief description) and I mentioned here that it's still not working in the hopes that I might get further help on this. For one, can you detail the exact setting and location to make sure I have turned on the correct setting?

• Jason commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have "Owners can delete sent messages" turned on and, as an owner, I still cannot delete others' messages.

The worst-case scenario of this is when a conversation gets "spammed" via outside email, then no one in the org owns that comment, so NO ONE can delete it (this actually happened to us). Totally unacceptable!

• Phil Walker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think Warren is referring to the setting in the Microsoft Teams & Skype for Business Admin Center under Messaging policies. Its should be listed as 'Owners can delete sent messages' under all of the profiles. We have it off at the moment so I'm asking for it to be switched on.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I do not see where the Admin can turn on this ability. Perhaps you could provide instructions.

What I want is to be able to delete *my* message history. If I chat with Joe, I want to be able to delete my copy of that chat. I do not want to have to call an admin every time I want a chat deleted.

How do we delete a "meeting" in the Conversations folder? We've been searching for 2 hours.

• Steven M commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This functionality does not appear to exist inside of chats, contrary to Suphatra's statements. Admins cannot properly moderate chat threads.

I'm the owner of a team and i cant edit or delete other peoples messages.
        I strongly think this should happen

• Hicsy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@suphatra - once again you have shrugged this one off without forwarding it on. This ability was dangerously removed by your developers. please re-instate this.

• Aesaaved commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Suphatra,

This feature is only available when it is "you" creating the message. I am a team owner of several teams and channels and cannot delete other people's messages. Is there a setting that needs to be turned on?

There appears to be a time limited-ness to deletes and it's not clear on what the implementation is. If the time limit has passed then deletes are not possible. For an admin/owner they should always be possible. If not, then perhaps a new role is required to ensure that moderation rights are well defined for the actions that remove information of others? There's also the matters for consideration discussed here https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/MicrosoftTeams/ediscovery-investigation that shouldn't make it an issue to allow moderation at least of the aesthetic for reducing confusion.

• Mike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Doesn't work for me. Can't delete others messages in teams as the team owner

• Henk Thomassen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Today (more than 5 weeks after the last person mentioned it) it still does not seem possible: I am owner of a team but cannot delete someone else's messages. Also, I cannot delete system generated messages (e.g. notification that a meeting has been canceled). Also wonder if it would be useful to have the ability to set more granular permissions. E.g. certain users (with kind of moderator role for a specific channel) can delete messages from a specific Channel in the team but not from other Channels.

• HD commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Suphatra I still do not see this functionality. Am I missing something?

• Mattias commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Indeed. In our case users have been testing the functions/chatt of Teams and and now noticed that every user has to remove their own messages because apparently the Admin of the team-site can't.

Feedback and Knowledge Base