How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Export chat history

Skype keeps chat history in Outlook which makes it convenient if chat needs to be shared and forwarded to someone else. Can a Teams private chat be shared similarly, such as via an export to PDF?

131 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

15 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Cliff commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can functionality be created in order to export to microsoft excel and view chat history (date field;time field; user name field; chat detail/message field) based on a date range entered.

I previously used a 3rd part app to extract the data from Skype in order to do this. I believe this would add great value if this was standard functionality.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes - chat history should be saved where a user can retrieve it - both for private chats and for Teams Channels chats.

It can be Outlook inbox (all the Teams channels starting a conversation back-up also in outlook) or in Sharepoint (for Teams that have got associated Sharepoint storage) - without a back-up for users, the content in a Teams chat is not felt very "official"

• Mohamed Bazzy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello Team,

I recommend to add a Graphics Mode feature to Excel. This would enable user to properly draw charts and figures with accurate dimensions and design. This should not be a CAD-like sophistication, yet a bit more advanced than the currently available on PowerPoint.

Thanks!

I want to see the chat logs in a useable format and as objects, not a PST or EML. I would like to see this added in the MicrosoftTeams powershell module

• Destany commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes please! This feature would allow us to search Teams chats in Outlook, they way we can for Skype chats and eliminates the need to search in both Outlook (desirable because it's fast) and also in Teams (very, very slow). Thanks!

Indeed a very desirable feature. Especially after multiple-day sessions the amount of information in a chat can be enormous. At the same time it also takes long to browse through a chat. In that case it is very desirable to be able to download the chat. To a txt or a OneNote. With attachments added in the chat of course.

• Greg Zygadlo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can't agree more. Tried it for a day and not having that moved me back to the Skype for Business Client. For us this could mean never leaving Skype for Business because of this.

• Lucas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There is a problem with reading old conversations. Serching for old post couses a headaches.

Skype keeps chat history in Outlook which makes it convenient if chat needs to be shared and forwarded to someone else. Can a Teams private chat be shared similarly, such as via an export to PDF?

• Dan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree, this is solely missing as Skype and Skype for Business both store chat history. I dont want it saved to Outlook but stored within the Team system somewhere infinitely

• Michael M commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We need this since we are changing O365 tenants and need a way to keep conversations.

Conversations (chats) in Teams should be able to exported f.ex. to excel.
        Should be able to be filtered by Name,Date... to have the possibilty to filter and analyze the content/informations

Feedback and Knowledge Base