How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

when using backticks for markdown second item not rendered correclty

In a teams message, write some inline markdown (surrounded in `backticks`)
Add more inline markdown
Only the first substring of inline markdown will be correctly rendered

53 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

William Farris shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

14 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Owen Scott commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Markdown support on teams has to move away from on-the-fly parsing. The approach has SO many problems. Please move to in-line formatting but leave the Markdown syntax itself in place...

• John Lilley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I believe that Teams markdown has a slew of bugs related to the modal nature of markdown support. For example, I cannot go back and edit a message, surround an item with backtick and have it rendered monospace. It also fails if I type backtick and paste. Apparently the editor enters some kind of "monospace edit mode" only when you are typing and follow backtick by some additional keystrokes. This isn't markdown, this is a text editor that senses you are about to enter some markdown-ish text and changes modes.

• Michael Grenier commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just convinced every member of my organisation to switch from Slack to Teams.

Received a few complains that the markdown seems broken. No one can work out the `inline code` or ```multi-line code``` (we use French keyboard, similar to German).

• Jamie Thomson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

2018-02-09 most of the problems mentioned here and in the comments now seem to have been fixed

• Jon M commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Not sure it's just the second item. Whether the block is rendered or not seems to be pretty random, though most are not.

• Evan A commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

More bugs with the inline code blocks: If you put the ending backtick first, and then the beginning one, it doesn't convert to monospace. Also if you have an inline block and backspace to the beginning of it, then start typing again, you get a weird display issue where the text is in monospace but in a very dark font color that is hard to read. And you cannot end that inline block with backticks or anything else, it just keeps going.

• Jonathon Wyza commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I also have this issue. Additionally this happens if you go back and edit a message. Backticks aren't parsed on edited messages.

• James O commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm having even more issues with all backtick text than second items--the text just seems almost always be formatted normally. I haven't figured out a pattern for when it works and when it doesn't.. It just mostly doesn't.

Feedback and Knowledge Base