How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Merge/consolidate channels

We changed the mind about the way we used some channels. We decided that some of the channels need to be merged. It would be nice to be able to do this without using history. We want history to be merged.

560 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Max shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  Warren responded  · 

This request is now being reviewed by the feature team! I’ll keep you posted as to the future decision.

-Warren

62 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Vote from me for merging - it's crazy that this functionality was not included in the original release!

• Jon Lykke commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be a very nice addition to an already awesome platform. I just started as Head of R&D at a new corporation, and the number of channels is exhausting. The team itself wants to clean up, and there are many example where two or even three channels should have been one single channel. Thus the need to merge, to avoid loss of historic data.

• Laurel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Having the same issue we are looking to consolidate our teams and we would like to keep a channel from one team and make it a channel under a different team. Is there any update on when this may be possible?

• Joe Kirsch commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We really need to be able to merge channels. One of the good things about Teams is that it is somewhat fluid. Things change and we don't want to lose these conversations but we also don't want abandoned channels sitting around forever.

• Nate S commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What is the status of this? It's been 6 months now.. that seems long enough for something to be "Under Review" to at least have an update. This is a pretty important feature and is requested by my org pretty frequently.

• Kris Walraevens commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same request - merge channels in a team. When will the optionn available ? (Request review Aug 2018 mentioned bij Warren)

• Brad commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In large orgs we have a need to merge channels and various conversations. We may have great one off conversations that need to be combined into a more FAQ channel for everyone etc.

I am also in need of this feature (ie. merging channels in TEAMS). Can you please let me know if it can be done now, and how?

agree - this should be a no brainer functionality, like you can do with Evernote.

I would like to vote for merging of channels. Some times the channels become redundant as we realize something changed or we find a need to combine.

I agree. Merging channels will be awesome. Some people are not that good with technology and thinks channels are some sort of discussion like a Message. An approval process will be also great before allowing someone from a team to create a new channel.

• JM Frangos commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd like to add my vote for the channel merge feature. I don't think I am alone creating well intentioned channels only to realise a few days/weeks later that channel proliferation is a problem and needing to merge previous channels. Onegaishimasu!

• David Kelleher commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Last week I gave a presentation on Teams to mgmt. While everyone liked the concept, i was asked one question: can we merge conversations in channels when Teams need to work on a common project. When can we expect this feature? Slack do... and I cannot argue against that. Also is there a way to prioritise channels and move them up and down?

• JM Frangos commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I also need to merge channels which were created originally and we now realise they have no reason to remain separate. Pretty sure I'm not the only one.

• Edward Cuttle commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Gosh... yet another essential for administrating teams and channels that is missing and still missing!!
        We are re-organising our teams and so need to incorporate some existing teams into a new one (without losing history).
        Such shortcomings make it a lot harder to push wide spread use of Teams and makes it all so much harder to use.

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base