How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Merge/consolidate channels

We changed the mind about the way we used some channels. We decided that some of the channels need to be merged. It would be nice to be able to do this without using history. We want history to be merged.

452 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Max shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

49 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like to vote for merging of channels. Some times the channels become redundant as we realize something changed or we find a need to combine.

I agree. Merging channels will be awesome. Some people are not that good with technology and thinks channels are some sort of discussion like a Message. An approval process will be also great before allowing someone from a team to create a new channel.

• JM Frangos commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd like to add my vote for the channel merge feature. I don't think I am alone creating well intentioned channels only to realise a few days/weeks later that channel proliferation is a problem and needing to merge previous channels. Onegaishimasu!

• David Kelleher commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Last week I gave a presentation on Teams to mgmt. While everyone liked the concept, i was asked one question: can we merge conversations in channels when Teams need to work on a common project. When can we expect this feature? Slack do... and I cannot argue against that. Also is there a way to prioritise channels and move them up and down?

• JM Frangos commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I also need to merge channels which were created originally and we now realise they have no reason to remain separate. Pretty sure I'm not the only one.

• Edward Cuttle commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Gosh... yet another essential for administrating teams and channels that is missing and still missing!!
        We are re-organising our teams and so need to incorporate some existing teams into a new one (without losing history).
        Such shortcomings make it a lot harder to push wide spread use of Teams and makes it all so much harder to use.

• Suresh E R commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have plans for 3 teams managing with 3 channels. In the end, I want know the team management by combining 3 channels. Please advise

• Noorha Merchant commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am currently planning on using teams for my organisation based worldwide and looking at the two basic yet key aspects which are missing in the product -
        1. Cannot split/merge cannel
        2. Cannot split/merge/consolidate teams into one
        Microsoft can really help make this product a lot more functionally intuitive, if they would start showing some action on the voices raised by the users.
        Can we please start seeing how you address our voices or requests?

• Luis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi! I have the same need and I have to merge channels inside the same Team. Do you have any update on this?

Do we have an update on this? We are looking at rolling out our NAM team on Team but don't want to create channels if we can't move them

• Aqsa Andaloussi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello Warren,
        I want to add that I have experienced a similar problem.
        We have created a duplicate team and want to merge this as a channel to a different team without having to manually move things or lose the chat.
        I hope this becomes possible in the near future as businesses flex and change so does the way we manage our teams i.e. mergers mean certain teams now fall under the same entity structure and need to move under a team as a channel rather than sit as a standalone team.

Thanks
        Aqsa Andaloussi

This is another feature that needs improvement. The Team Group owner should be able to move content within a team or to a new team. This, combined with the inability to control user access to some channels, are two of the major issues we have with Teams. I would rather do collaboration sites within SharePoint Classic.

• Laimonas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

its quite easy to merge documents, one can move also onenote notes, but the pain point is chat discussions: there is just no option to take those over into another channel of another team. and this is necessary, if there are valuable threads in the existing chat and I want to make a reorg/cleanup.

A tech feature to export whole chat and reimport it elsewhere would do it too. Such a reorg is handled by admins in most cases anyway.

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base