How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Planner: Allow chats on tasks in planner

Working on a planner task in Teams, I can post a comment. This comment is then sent by E-Mail to all team members and the Team's mailbox. No chat allowed on Tasks - only on the Channel. This is very much different to the logic applied in other channels in Teams.

100 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Harald W. shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

15 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Emma Haraldsson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, the idea of less e-mails is lost because of this dis-function. I might just want to notify either the one I share the task with, or the one who assigned me the task.

• Florian Gachet commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In addition, it would be great to send messages to a specific member in the task using @, like in the conversation.

Exemple: someone assigns me a task. I do it and close the task by its status. But I want to give my collegue just a note when it's done, for an important task or something he/she is waiting on it. We want to reduce the number of automatic notifications, but use this more flexible notification.

• Kyle commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We need the ability to turn this off, and ideally we need more granular control of notifications. My team is 30+ people, but we use planner to track progress on 2-3 person teams. It is completely inappropriate for the whole team to get an email notification about something a small group is working on. Limit it to assignees and potentially those who subscribe explicitly.

• MaxKunisch commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Additionally, when I do receive an email due to a Planner Task comment, it's not obvious that this was generated from the comment. I was looking for the message in the Conversations tab, and it took me a while to realized it was a task comment.

If we can't adjust how these task notifications occur, at least make it obvious that the email is generated by a task.

Yes, emailing everyone assigned to a team when a Task comment is made has become a real pain point in one of my ~55 member teams. The Planner integration is awesome, and is improving, but this notification problem generates the largest volume of negative feedback I receive. For example: "Unsubscribe!" "Please remove me from this team" "Please stop with the task comments!"

Not awesome...

• Greg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just another vote to do something about the Planner Task emails. The entire Team doesn't need to receive email every time I update a task that doesn't pertain to them. They are in the Team and can view task status if they wish. In some cases perhaps it's appropriate but make it an option.

• Tomas Sandkvist commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would appreciate the ability to NOT have the comments being posted this way, because it clutters team members mailboxes.

• Doug Powell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree that comments specific to task cards is needed. A channel conversation is not very useful when there may be potentially a few hundred tasks, incomplete or not.

To top it off, I still don't see how conversations are being included in the search tool in Teams.

Thanks! Doug

Reiterating the desire to allow restriction of comment notifications on task cards to only those assigned to the task or involved in the comment thread. We have ~20 people working through several distinct work streams, and everyone complains when someone comments on a task and it's broadcast to the entire team. Please work this out!!

• Dev commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yup, definitely, getting emails about Planner tasks is now annoying and also a little confusing for the people who are using Teams but never used Office 365 Groups before this. They have no idea why they are getting emails (plus those emails are so unclear, they don't know that they are coming from a Planner task, they just say the name of the task and then the comment; it's completely out of nowhere!)

• Colin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What would be good is, if the comments section in each task has the same functionality as the conversation tab in the channels in Teams. For us, often the task is actually just to answer or have a discussion around the question posed by the person opening the task. Being able to @ mention people and tag documents or other tasks or conversations and subscribe to, or follow the task and its related conversation from within the task makes it possible to have a specific technical discussion that has a deadline and resposible people assigned to provide answers. It is also importtant to be able to easily search current and archived taskes so that when others in the organisation need the same or similar questions answered they can get the information from past tasks or reopen and continue the discussion for a more detailed answer.

• Brennan Kilty commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Comments on tasks should flow directly into the channel Converstations. Please include a link to the task and some context with the comment when posting to the Converstations (i.e. the task title)

• Mike baker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

the task comment being sent to all team members became a big problem for us today as we have multiple channels each with their own planner. we need functionallity it off or scoped to @user or workout the channel followers/members

Feedback and Knowledge Base