How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Better visual delineation between `Reply` and `Start a new conversation`

It's very confusing to new users that there is a difference between replying to an existing conversation and starting a new one within a channel. This is a visual thing as much as anything else. The 'reply' buttons are not naturally attractive if you just want to start typing a message. There should be a logical gap between the bottom of a conversation and 'start a new conversation'. 'Start a new conversation' needs to be separated visually, as if it's a second order command rather than a first order...reply.

2,451 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Stephen Ellis shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

333 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Adam Wrzeski commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Last update from MS was on December 4th, 2018, and based on @skprufo Twitter account, she's leaving to AWS :( --- who at MS is going to be leading the charge for updates on this topic? Our IT department just announced it's 2 months away from deploying company wide. And I would LOVE it if this would get resolved before then. It would save us some headaches.

• Justin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Too many comments now to know if this has been suggested but here goes.

1) Starting a new conversation should invoke a small popup that has two fields. Subject and message body. This can result in one message with a blank line after the subject or a post with a reply. I suggest replacing the current text window with a button.

2) The thread reply should/could be the text box that results from clicking on Reply now.

• Brandon Gano commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please change this. I can't count the number of times team members have missed things because someone accidentally started a new conversation instead of replying. It completely breaks an otherwise functional product.

• Robert Y commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is such a pain! There are so many confusing conversations because users can't distinguish between the two easily. Please fix ASAP.

• Francis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I couldn't agree more with these comments. If I am in a 'thread' with someone, I don't want to type, mouse click reply, type, mouse click reply, type... The default input field should be 'reply to last focussed conversation'. Then add separate start new conversation button.

• Jake commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just want to agree with a lot of other people here. The current solution in the works is not a solution at all. The problem is that the "Type a new message" field is more readily accessible than the "reply" field. Changing the text or the appearance of the reply-button does nothing to solve the issue. The reply field needs to be always visible and the "new topic/conversation/whatever" field needs to be hidden away, so people don't use it unless they really want to start a new thread.

• Andrew Hung commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Users commonly accidentally create new threads instead of replying to an existing thread. This results in desync in conversations, and a clutter of threads.

• Jim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Here's the solution in Microsoft Teams Help Menu:

Use Chat Threads:
    Threading makes sure that your reply to a post stays grouped with the original post and its subsequent comments.

"If you started a new conversation instead of replying to a thread, the best thing to do is just delete your standalone message and reply to the thread (as if nothing happened)."

"delete...(as if nothing happend)." ~Teams

• Jim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In our department everyone is always posting in the wrong 'reply'.
    Please fix this. Conversations are all over the place and not grouped correctly. There's tons of posts just saying that they meant to post in the thread above the new conversation.

• Pablo Estigarribia commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Looks like having a round colored big button for starting new conversations could be better idea than having the current behaviour, as everyone forgots to reply to the conversation today and starts a new one when trying to respond instead.

• csrowell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Make it so you can't hit "Enter" to start a new conversation. Require a "Start New Conversation" button press (or Tabbing to the button and activating it.).

• Rich Houk commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In the mobile app, you have to tap a button to create a new conversation. This is the way it should work in the desktop app. Creating a conversation should require an action, not just having the text box at the bottom that is more applicable to the chat area.

• Panagiotis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would add a "+" red button on the right bottom or on the top left screen of the team and hide the bottom Editbox ( "Start a new conversation Type @ to mention someone" ) that starts a new conversation. And leave the other EditBoxes for the conversations as it is, below the conversation so the user will understand that is the place for the answer.

• Mike Larkin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If this was an owner feature it would save me a ton of extra messages telling people to delete and click reply. This is extremely cumbersome and almost defeats the point of having an efficient platform. Maybe a quick solution is to implement a more colorful "reply" button to remind people to click it - OR when in the Team Channels, do not have a text box at the bottom - place a Button for [ Start a New conversation ] that enables the text box. Display a Text Label in the place of the text box that says [ Reply above Or Start a New Conversation ] - I think this would help out 90% of the time and clean up many threads.

• Christophe ARMAND commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Many users miss the point between "reply" and "start new discussion" (see https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/555103-public/suggestions/19224826-better-visual-delineation-between-reply-and-sta) – following discussion in a channel becomes a challenge!

As the author/initiator of a discussion "A", would be nice to have the ability to attach (re-parent) "A" to an existing discussion "B" (in the same channel) so that post "A" (and its potential replies) would become a reply to "B" (which was the initial intent)

Workaround for now: remove post "A", and repost it as a reply to "B"…

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Instead of having a persistent reply button below all messages their should be a button similar to the "Like" and "save" button to reply!!!

To much screen space is taken up just for the reply button. It makes Teams look weird in my opinion.

• Josh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

One assumes that in turning the bottom input into a "New Conversation" button, you could also show the "Reply" input by default for every conversation. You could also do a material style floating action button with a "+" for new convos, if you didn't want to continue your flagrant abuse of vertical space.

One also assumes that you could put an actual designer on this, and prototype with actual people, but since this has clearly never been done I don't know why you'd start now. By all means keep adding features like background video blur instead of spending a day of development time on your primary use case, 1.5+ years later.

• Adam Wrzeski commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I took the survey and agree with Jamey. The issue isn't so much as how the New Conversation UI element appears. The issue is that visual priority need to be given to the REPLY button. I think making the new conversation a single button that will expand out will help... some. But also make the "reply" button stand out more!

Feedback and Knowledge Base