How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Better visual delineation between `Reply` and `Start a new conversation`

It's very confusing to new users that there is a difference between replying to an existing conversation and starting a new one within a channel. This is a visual thing as much as anything else. The 'reply' buttons are not naturally attractive if you just want to start typing a message. There should be a logical gap between the bottom of a conversation and 'start a new conversation'. 'Start a new conversation' needs to be separated visually, as if it's a second order command rather than a first order...reply.

2,450 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Stephen Ellis shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

332 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Seth commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This absolutely needs to be addressed. I've brought it up in other threads here that related to the reply button.

The 100+ employee org I maintain right now has a massive problem with accidentally creating a new convo instead of replying - heck, even i do it sometimes. Every other threaded convo system i'm aware of utilizes a "Create a new post" kind of button and that seems to be a universal standard that works very well.

• Janne Lepola commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree that this seems to be a problem. I have missed multiple calls and important chat-messages by simply having been away from desktop.

Instead simply having number at left-side menu I would suggest to create (optional?) activity-history, which would show summary of missed conversations, calls and such. On 1080p resolution there is more than enough room for this kind of development. Simple popup-notifications are good only for short notifying, as they tend to become really annoying if they don't disappear shortly.

Additionally taskbar menu-icon should have clear indicator of new messages or such. I think it doesn't have any indicator as for now?

• Trevor Madge commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The channel is bold when I have unread messages/replies, but I have a hard time figuring out which replies are new.

• Thom commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

An ideal solution would be to remove the "start a new conversation" box and replace it with a button that is in the lower right corner (think android material design). Having the user take an extra step before creating a new post would reduce the number of misposted replies in my org.

• [Deleted User] commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If I'm not at my computer when the "you have a message" dialog pops there's no other visual alert letting me know I missed a message. Have missed several urgent messages.

• Michael Florentin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When discussing in a thread it's way too easy to accidentally reply in the "Start new conversation" field instead of the "Reply" field, especially if you need to switch between discussions in multiple channels.

It would be less frustrating if Teams could e.g. hide the "Start new conversation" field while working in a thread.

Furthermore, Teams should remember the state of channel when switching between channels, including if I'm working in a thread. It's annoying that Teams has collapsed threads and removed keyboard focus from text fields when I return to a channel.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When a reply comes through on teams, the conversation is bolded to notify you that something is unread. But it's sometimes hard to see the bolded conversations. Simply adding some extra visual like the colored notification bar on outlook would help.

• CoryH commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

People are constantly sending me messages that I don't see for HOURS because I don't see the brief new message notification popup. There should be an option so that the popup either stays there until dismissed, or the application itself pops to the top layer when a new message arrives.

• Fredrik Forséll commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

why the hell was "hide the reply button" merged into this one? It's the exact opposite: I don't want to have any threaded conversations, that's just annoying. I wan't teams to work like IRC, or any other chat. A stream of messages.

• Erin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

keeping a conversation going in a single thread seems to be confusing for some people. often they just start typing a new thread as a reply to a previous one. Maybe update the size and boldness of reply or make it more apparent that you are starting a new conversation

• Michael M commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If you are in a chat conversation and a new event happens in the last team channel you had open, there is no event notification in the app or Windows notification center. Also notification settings should better describe where they appear. There doesn't seem to be a way to make team notifications appear in the Windows notification pane.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is very easy to miss messages because it is not obvious when new message are received. This reduces communication by a lot!

• Maarten Krijn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think, the default should be 'Reply to latest conversation' in stead of 'Start new conversation'. Starting a new conversation should be more explicit.

• Shafiq Jetha commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would certainly help mobile users since messages not posted to the conversation are not visible for mobile users that are viewing that particular thread.

• Shafiq Jetha commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There should be some intelligence to this. If the user has been replying then they should default-reply, otherwise Teams should use some factor (time, maybe?) to determine if the comment should be a reply or a new chat.

• Gerald commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

at least make it an option to set the default, but current state is very annoying

• Gaurab Banerji commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Nice idea Travis, but think they need to resolve the UI which causes the user to start a new conversation instead of replying in the first place. I think a better approach would be to look at fixing the UI/UX by perhaps adding a reply text box under the thread instead of placing the New conversation box at the bottom. If you look at other apps like FB, the new conversation box is on top of the screen with the reply boxes at the bottom of each thread. Which this may cause some more scrolling, it will reduce confusion.

I see this problem happening several times a day in my team. If you look at one of the Teams demo videos on youtube, the demonstrator from MS makes the same mistake!

• Alberto Sepulveda commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can't think of the times that someone has accidentally started a new conversation instead of replying to an existing conversation like they intended to. I would like a different way of starting new conversations, maybe a "Start New Conversation Button"

Feedback and Knowledge Base