How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Better visual delineation between `Reply` and `Start a new conversation`

It's very confusing to new users that there is a difference between replying to an existing conversation and starting a new one within a channel. This is a visual thing as much as anything else. The 'reply' buttons are not naturally attractive if you just want to start typing a message. There should be a logical gap between the bottom of a conversation and 'start a new conversation'. 'Start a new conversation' needs to be separated visually, as if it's a second order command rather than a first order...reply.

2,987 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Stephen Ellis shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

361 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
An error occurred while saving the comment
  • Hicsy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

lol wow I just hit reply then to see 2 identical text entry boxes atop one another. It's bazaar to think that someone actually went out of their way to make those identical. Bad idea.

• Ueli Konrad commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am rather proficient with MS Teams, but at least 15% of my postings are erroneously new posts instead of replies. Please make the two options look and feel at least a bit different.

• L. Günther commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Totally agree with the other comments. Major issue in our company. I am a power user and also did it wrong recently.

Additionally: If "New post" becomes a button, it could start the new posting in the expanded compose box right away, to allow a subject, which is very helpful because it stays visible while other posts may become condensed in long postings.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As others have noted here - important notifications are missed, simply because it is not clear that a notification has been received. I'm on OSX, and when we get notifications on Slack, a big red dot shows up on the application icon. Very easy to see. We would rather use Slack, but our company is forcing Teams on us - none of our team likes it because of this one thing.

• Catherine commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Using a more traditional social media approach could work better - where the box at the bottom of the screen is to reply to the existing thread, and the box at the top is for a new post/start a new conversation.

• Tom Castiglia commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I also find it too easy to accidentally start a new conversation when I meant to reply to a prior conversion. I'd prefer that you need to click a button to start a new conversation rather than just start typing.

• Chris Webb commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Honestly, last thread that came in should be where you reply / cursor ends up by default, and if you start a new convo, your cursor shoudl jump into the thread you just posted. And last but not least, Add a New Convo button, and just do away with the text bar on the bottom unless that button is clicked. Then reply's have the bar come inline like it does now, just remove the text box at the bottom unless a new conversation/thread button is clicked.

• Marco Da Rios commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1
    A nice big material "+" button for creating a new conversation (like the one on the android app) would be the simplest and most effective solution IMHO.

• Alex Mang commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I find myself telling people too often to click the reply input rather than starting a new conversation, which is annoying. At least if it would default to the reply input when I click on a notification....

• Jussi Palo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Not sure the proposed solution is the one I'd vote for, but the described issue is very real. People (me included) keep creating new conversations by mistake all the time when they just want to reply to the latest conversation.

• Joshua Holden commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Definitely agree, I think the whole conversation thing should be a passive option. If I want to talk about something very specific with a select group of people. If I'm giving general information, what's wrong with the way all chats have worked for the last 30 years? It's what works, it's what's natural and what everyone is used to. Please stop trying to reinvent wheel that don't need to be.

This really is an issue. I can see an unread badge on the chat tab for instance, click on it and the unread message is just barely more bold than the rest. The unread chat also DOES NOT show up in Recent. I am moving our company from Skype for Business. Does not have to be the same, but there is a way to do notifications in an app and this is not the way. Please figure this out soon.

• JAK commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please do this! We end up using the group chat instead because its so much less annoying to reply with

• Clayton Taylor commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The threaded history view is very useful, especially in teams where chat is consistent throughout the day. That being said, it's not very easy to distinguish between replying and starting a new thread when you're transferring from another tool or just in a hurry (chats are single threaded while channels are not, but the UI is almost identical).
    My suggestion would be to replace the current message field with one that has the capability to be both a reply to the most recent thread or start a new one. The UX might be that the right/left ends (respectively) of the field are a button/icon that switches between the two, it might be a set of tabs, etc. The point is that you wouldn't require much more space to add the functionality, it would be far less confusing and you could add functionality on top of it such as a keyboard shortcut to switch between the two or a default preference based on the user.
    Replying to an old thread warrants using the mouse, but replying to the current thread and creating a new one do not.

Agreed! Although, I believe the solution should be to fix the poor user experience which results in the orphaned responses rather than band-aiding the issue. We receive daily complains about this. Many times, the messages do not scroll and the reply box sits behind the new conversation box, amplifying the problem even more.

• Andrzej commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Notyfication of new messages is almost not recognizable. Could it somehow notyfing me by some popup messages that somebody wrote to me ?

• Jennifer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, please do something here. This happens constantly & makes discussing an issue in the channel much less useful. Even if the "new conversation" in the bottom line was somehow emphasized / more obvious, that may help.

• Tony Reynolds commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

On the App for android it shows a nice plus button for start a conversation and the field for replying to an existing is the one at the bottom.

The trouble is when you are chatting to a user directly, the field for your text looks the same as the one for a new conversation in the group chat... so it is very easy to do the wrong thing.. also after you make a new conversation and hit send the field for starting a new conversation is the default field for when you start typing the reply. so it also contributes to the mistake. it should be automatically in the field for a reply to your last conversation.

Feedback and Knowledge Base

You are about to visit the UserVoice site for Microsoft Teams

We have partnered with UserVoice, a 3rd party service providing public discussion forums for product-specific feedback.

By clicking "Continue to UserVoice" you agree to UserVoice's Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.