How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Better visual delineation between `Reply` and `Start a new conversation`

It's very confusing to new users that there is a difference between replying to an existing conversation and starting a new one within a channel. This is a visual thing as much as anything else. The 'reply' buttons are not naturally attractive if you just want to start typing a message. There should be a logical gap between the bottom of a conversation and 'start a new conversation'. 'Start a new conversation' needs to be separated visually, as if it's a second order command rather than a first order...reply.

2,451 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Stephen Ellis shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

333 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Megan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Problem: the UI for post a reply in Chat is more or less the same as for new post the 'Teams'. This means that where in Chat you'd normally just type into the box at the bottom and create a long list of replies, in the 'Teams' area, we want to encourage threaded conversations around topics, but people end up writing new posts instead of replying to a conversation. Massive design fault, as it makes the Teams area almost unusable for posting discussions and articles - it just becomes a long, scrolling chat again, with posts often out of sequence (they're arranged per replies/engagement).
    Argh!

• [Deleted User] commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

100% needed lots of out of band replies as new conversations that get lost in the conversation tree.

• Thomas Bolon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with that.

Moreover, after starting a conversation, the input could switch to "reply" instead of "start new" so the original author can add new messages in the new conversation instead of starting a new one.

• Vasil commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This behavior definitely needs a revision. There are several valid solutions. Be it with a "Start new conversation" button or with a direct and more visible input instead of the "Reply button", etc...

• Tony Reynolds commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The desktop version (which most of my staff use) make the difference between replying to an old conversation vs creating a new one very small and often we have a conversation by creating new conversations each time. so one will reply by starting a new conversation rather than replying to the existing conversation.
    You need make the 'start a new conversation area' more obvious that you are making a new conversation or something.. the Andriod app makes it much more obvious.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The basic metaphor is confusing. What kind of conversation is it? A messageboard? A text conversation? It feels like a text conversation, in which typing into the open text box should create a reply. If you are creating a whole new metaphor for a conversation, then the functions of the options - reply or start a new conversation - need to be made clearer.

• Tom Nolan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is an incredibly frustrating thing with people who are new to Teams. There needs to be some kind of indicator, other than the text in the editor box at the bottom, to give more of a visual cue that someone is creating a new post by typing in the box at the bottom.

Totally Agree with this suggestion, It is not a natural user experience. Users that want to reply to ths last displayed conversation in a channel uses the textbox in the bottom of the screen and then create a new "orphan" conversation. This textbox should be an implicit reply to the last conversation or should be totally replaced by a button "Start new Conversation" you have to click, but not being able to type at the first place...

• Jason M commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1 THIS!
    We have only been using teams a few days, and already our channels are littered with extra conversations since everyone is used to Skype.

• Nathan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is an ongoing issue, especially for new users coming from Skype for Business, as they are accustomed to using the "box at the bottom of the window" to reply.

The New Conversation should either be a collapsed field that needs to be expanded to use, or relocate it to the top of the UI

• Kirk Munro commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A big +1 from me. It is very hard to get users to keep a threaded conversation in tact. I regularly make the mistake myself, and then have to repost a new message as a reply and then delete the new message, hopefully before someone replies to it. The converse never happens -- a reply is always a reply.

I would like to see a more significant separation and/or visual cue in the UI that discourages users from just typing in the large text box at the bottom of the window for everything that they type.

The "reply" area to a post should be indented or something to make it more distinct from the new post area. They are so similar that many people on my team, including myself, have created new posts by accident when we meant to reply to a previous one.

• Nikrampi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We all now there are tons of features that are in high priority in order to make Teams the best place for collaboration, but this one really needs to be put into PLANNED or WORKING. In our environment there are lots of conversations broken into pieces just because one of the users forgot to reply and started new thread by mistake (mostly mobile) !
    Side-effect is that notifications for the thread are not sent and others don't have clue that user actually replied. Really frustrating!

• Dave Skender commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Users who are accustomed to traditional IM will often use the Conversation box at the bottom of a channel to incorrectly reply to a previous conversation -- poor Teams etiquette for sure. It would be nice if anyone could drag that new conversation to the correct reply box to convert it to a reply to remedy the situation and to keep the thread together.

• Jon Bauerle commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I completely agree. We are looking for alternatives now, because everyone keeps missing their notifications.

Suggestions:
    1. Option to auto-scroll to the latest message. That way they can't pop below the screen unnoticed.
    2. Flash the icon in the taskbar.
    3. Icon badges in the task bar?

• Vincent Jiang [MSFT] commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In my case, almost of every new comer to Teams use 'Start a new conversation' to reply to an existing conversation. It should be more intuitive.

• Jose Cerna commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

On iPad and on desktop if you enter a channel the textbox at the bottom says "Start a new conversation". This is confusing because people don't read that and just start typing in response to other conversations on screen.

I would remove the text box until they click reply to a conversation and add a button to star a new conversation.

Feedback and Knowledge Base