How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Better visual delineation between `Reply` and `Start a new conversation`

It's very confusing to new users that there is a difference between replying to an existing conversation and starting a new one within a channel. This is a visual thing as much as anything else. The 'reply' buttons are not naturally attractive if you just want to start typing a message. There should be a logical gap between the bottom of a conversation and 'start a new conversation'. 'Start a new conversation' needs to be separated visually, as if it's a second order command rather than a first order...reply.

2,976 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Stephen Ellis shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

361 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Alex commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

is anyone supposed to have confidence in, using MS products when this, what is an obvious problem, is taking over 15 months to fix, what would be a small change on the UI.

• Ryan Spooner commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@skprufo left Microsoft and it seems the remaining team don't care much about this User Voice page and being reactive to customer feedback.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Our conversation threads are a mess. The reply button is often hidden behind the start new conversation box. Please fix asap!

• Panagiotis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Many ms Team users in my company start new conversations instead of replying to threads because of this annoying design! Please Please Do something... Put a Plus sign but do not leave the "Start new conversation" edittext component down there!

• Jacob commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Oh golly yes! If this were the only feature in the next update it would be worth all the bandwidth and hassle to publish and install.

• Johan Appelgren commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any progress with this? As it is now the conversations tab of a channel is almost unreadable since most people can't figure out how to reply. Or they can't be bothered to use Reply since it requires more clicks.

• Robert Y commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This really needs to be fixed. There’s a high number of replies-as-new-conversations happening in our Teams that’s extremely confusing when the conversation gets going.

• Ryan Spooner commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What's happening with this one? Suphatra has now apparently left Microsoft, so who's keeping on top of User Voice updates now?

• Bill R commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Looking forward to the change(if it happens). Too many people in my company start new conversations instead of replying to threads. it's mildly irritating.

• Edouard Paumier commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think also this is one of the major root cause of dissatisfaction of users in regard to the user interface, though hidden under misunderstanding and confusion.

Because users do not understand this concept of "conversation", they start creating multiple ones, and as a result
    - The display is extremely not compact. The result is a user voice with 7800+ votes on it (https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/555103-public/suggestions/17408641-compact-mode).
    - If one person of the team uses the reply feature on one of those conversation, the order is rearranged and conversations makes no sense. As a result I heard people saying "Stop using reply, it breaks the order of my messages".

Because of this one simple missing feature, the whole concept is unknown to users and going down the drain.

I would like to add a rationale on this :
    - The probability I want to add a second message related to the one I just send is really high.
    - The probability I want to start two parallel conversations just one after the other is extremely low.

Therefore, after creating a conversation, focusing on the "reply" instead of staying on the "start conversation" makes much more sense.

• Sam Hall commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I rarely use Teams, but occasionally someone mentions me in a channel so I get and email, which forces me to open the platform. Then I tend to reply by starting a new conversation, then I realise my mistake which enrages me and I give up on it once again.

• Christopher Di Biase commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Something definitely needs to be done to improve the channel experience. Even I often accidentally create new threads when trying to reply to a thread, just because of how the window scrolls. Perhaps it would make sense to make the "start a new conversation" a button instead of a text field at the bottom of the window to make it less likely that a user will click there instead of on "reply"

Feedback and Knowledge Base

You are about to visit the UserVoice site for Microsoft Teams

We have partnered with UserVoice, a 3rd party service providing public discussion forums for product-specific feedback.

By clicking "Continue to UserVoice" you agree to UserVoice's Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.