How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Better visual delineation between `Reply` and `Start a new conversation`

It's very confusing to new users that there is a difference between replying to an existing conversation and starting a new one within a channel. This is a visual thing as much as anything else. The 'reply' buttons are not naturally attractive if you just want to start typing a message. There should be a logical gap between the bottom of a conversation and 'start a new conversation'. 'Start a new conversation' needs to be separated visually, as if it's a second order command rather than a first order...reply.

2,424 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Stephen Ellis shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

330 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Lance Moonshower commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please get this done!!! This continues to cause major headaches and has people shying away from Teams because their conversations get so split up and hard to follow. It's to the point of people saying that even multiple thread emails are better because at least they can organize them. Come on MS!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've been using Teams for two years now, and I *still* do this.

Every single time I do it, I painstakingly copy what I wrote, delete the message, and paste it back into the right place, both to avoid splitting the conversation and as negative reinforcement for myself - which helped, in that now I only do it once or twice a month instead of once or twice a week.

Most people aren't that OCD, though, and so conversations splinter into shards.

This is my least favorite thing about Teams.

• Niclas Lindgren commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would help if you by default answered on the last thread instead of starting a new conversation by default, this is what is causing it all.

• Katrine commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Definitely feel that you shouldn't have to click to reply - each convo should have a text box underneath with a completely separate button to start a new convo.....

• Katrine commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Absolutely - in teams that are not tech savy we constantly get forked conversations because people think they're replying and start a new conversation instead! So referring back becomes a pain as there is no link in the reply.

The MS Admin should really change their comment about filling out the survey and needing feedback since the survey is now closed.

• Carlo Mendoza commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is Suphatra still with Teams? Twitter account seems to indicate otherwise. Is this getting the attention it needs?

• FH commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm not sure what this feature is supposed to help. As far as I've observed, most of my colleagues do not even expect that there are two boxes, thus they type their text into whichever one they notice first, ignoring whatever text is displayed there.

The only chance to end up with a comprehensible longer conversation appears to be a feature to retroactively merge/concatenate separate threads.

• Dean commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Warren - any update on this feature? It's still a major problem for our organization :(

Its scary to see this topic has less votes then customized emojis. Don't these people want their emojis/gifs to at least appear in the correct conversation? Its sad its been over a year and while other improvements in functionality (like customized backgrounds) will soon be released they still have fixed a basic UI issue.

• Lance Moonshower commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The delay of such a rudimentary feature is bad enough, but the stall tactic of sending out a survey is really annoying.

• Alex commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

is anyone supposed to have confidence in, using MS products when this, what is an obvious problem, is taking over 15 months to fix, what would be a small change on the UI.

• Ryan Spooner commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@skprufo left Microsoft and it seems the remaining team don't care much about this User Voice page and being reactive to customer feedback.

• Darris Martin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"We are shipping this SO soon. By the end of the year, the team says. Woo hoo!" So.... What happened?

← Previous 1 3 4 5 16 17

Feedback and Knowledge Base