How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Allow to post a reply to a conversation via REST

Currently it is quite easy to start a conversation via the webhook of a channel.

It would be great if the POST of this webhook would return an conversation id. This id could then be used in a subsequent request to reply to the initial conversation.

158 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Christian Koerner shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

9 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Sanket Gawade commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We also would like this feature, since we are posting custom messages to the chat for monitoring purpose and it creates new conversation each time.
        We would like to post a reply to a single conversation using REST API.

• Marc Roussel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If I understand this feature request, you want to reply to an existing message in a channel ?
        Let say I send that an application gave a faulty result. Later I would like to reply to this same message to say that the faulty result was resolved. I'm wondering how the whole workflow of that would work in order to keep an id or something of this sent message it would become a mess, specially having a service processing a lot of data sending many faulty or even already good result to this channel !

• Magnus Hustveit commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is really important. This is a major blocker to implementing a lot of useful integrations. Any kind of application which has context specific updates needs this feature to be at all useful to integrate. It also can't possibly be very hard to implement. The units are all there in the Graph API, the permissions would be the same as any other access to the same content. You just have to expose it through Graph API and in Webhooks. Please, make this a priority.

• John Crumpton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed! This is #1 on my wishlist at the moment. Rather than returning a boolean when we insert a requestMessage, return an ID for that requestMessage so we can reference it for future messages... a threaded message.

• Andrew Yeager commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Exactly what this item says would be great! I would like to be able to post replies and/or update cards created via a webhook with status information via the same webhook.

• Andreas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

An outgoing webhook for chat messages would be nice instead of polling a REST api for new messages. Preferably with custom format for message body.

• Emiliano Parizzi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm interested in fetching data from Teams through an API as well. Team, team members, channels and messages would be great.
        A realtime API to poll for new messages would be top notch.

• Supreetha Upadhya commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm interested in getting data(metadata and content of files) out of Microsoft Teams into my application using REST APIs. I wish to fetch JSON objects such as team,team members,channels, and chats from Teams. I have looked at Office 365 APIs and Graph APIs but, I could not find supporting documentation for Microsoft Teams.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Feedback and Knowledge Base