How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Custom Group Categories for Teams

As I create more and more teams, I need to be able to group or categorize them. It seems like the only native groupings are "favorites" or "more". I would like to be able to create other categories. Once I get over 30 teams, grouping them into detailed categories is going to be imperative to stay organized.

358 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Steve shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

29 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Steve commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why isn't thins done yet?? This is over two years old and something that is desperately needed. I am going back to Slack.

• Heather Halter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please add more grouping options! I have so many teams... for example, I'm thinking of how I can group projects from 2018, like an archiving feature. But I need to maintain easy access to the conten. Please add some kind of folder structure or grouping mechanism. Would also like to be able to have private channels under a team (like Slack). As a manager, it would greatly cut down on the number of Teams I have.

• Jay Cress commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The implementation you have created makes the user unable to control the content in their Teams interface which quickly leads to an overload of Teams with no grouping. If this isn't corrected I see no value in the long run for this product.

• Merethe Stave commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi folks, any updates on this! Being able to group the Teams groups into certain categories (eg. projects, communities, departments, etc.) would really be a great improvement!

• Michael commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Totally agree with the comments on this. We have made sub teams for different responsibility areas in our team and we are already overloading the screen space. Once more of the organisation starts using this application and members of our team also get included in those teams, it will be very challenging to stay on top of all of the different conversations and navigate between the different groups. Categorising teams into types will help greatly with this.

• Tim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a great idea and one that I would sorely like. Being able to group all 'Engineering' teams, or 'Business' or 'Support' or whatever the logical groups are would be great.

We already have the ability to 'add to favorites', so we just need the ability to 'add to x' instead to create custom grouping.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As more and more groups are moving onto teams, its def becoming a needed function to be able to swap between groups of teams!

This seems like an obvious feature to add - differentiate between departmental teams, project teams, social teams and so on. It could be fairly non-intrusive with perhaps an icon to denote the type of team, or a grouping function. At the moment we are having to consider Team naming syntax as a work-around, e.g. append Project to project teams etc. which is a bit cumbersome.

It's almost like you need to create a wiki with groups and the links to the teams (as a workaround)to find what you are looking for

• Paul O'Neil commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This seems like it would be a good step toward solving the "Private Channel" issue many are asking for in one of the highest voted requests.

• Jose Martin Rosario commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Whatever gets done on this, it would be very helpful to have those roll-up group categories be visible to all team members and not made to be individualized!

Grouping and sorting would be a pleasure to work better with teams. Especially grouping will improve the ease-to-use of teams.

This would be a great feature. The ability to group teams together in folders for organization.

• Bertien Boon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree this feature is important. I am currently rolling out teams in our school. I already have hundreds of teams, just for classes, because I am mentoring teachers in developing their digital content. At this point I already resorted to looking up the office group to open a class notebook, because I couldn't find the team anymore.
        Currently I am considering leaving all of these groups and joining them whenever I need to.
        I can imagine that this feature if considered less urgent for most common users.

Also the same function is requested for classroom use, to give the students the option to create structure in all of the teams. It would be practical if I had the option to create "standard categories' for specific groups of users (f.e. so they all have a group for "projects" and for "portfolio",...

• Dan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I definitely want more categories! 2 is near useless... I have to just have both expanded anyway, saving me no screen real estate.

Here's how I'd ideally organize my teams:
        Favorites (things I've pulled out from the rest that I need frequent and immediate access to)
        Internal (business areas, product teams, workgroups, committees)
        Active Clients (accounts teams with active projects)
        Clients (accounts with no active projects)

Ideally, favorites would just be a reference to Teams, and even specific Channels, that are categorized below in "Groups", so you can still find them normally, but you have a quick link at the top of everything. So I could click on "Client A - Project A" and it would then navigate me down to my Active Clients group, into the Client A Team, and select the Project A Channel.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base