How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Custom Group Categories for Teams

As I create more and more teams, I need to be able to group or categorize them. It seems like the only native groupings are "favorites" or "more". I would like to be able to create other categories. Once I get over 30 teams, grouping them into detailed categories is going to be imperative to stay organized.

465 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Steve shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

45 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Elan Shudnow commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm starting to get added to more and more teams and really need to be able to categorize the teams I'm in into groups for organization.

• David O'Keeffe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Maybe Community is a better word than Group. I want to organise teams into communities so when a new user is added to a team they can see all the teams in their community. Similar to the comments below we have Security, Operations, Delivery, Developer etc. communities. I want to be able see everything in my community by default but be able to seek out teams in other communities (CoP based teams for example).

• Ryan Sievers commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Warren can you please touch base on this topic? It's been 6 months since your last post. Thanks in advance. :)

• John commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Get it from under review to roadmap Warren. Everything can be organized by categories, why should teams be any different. Nobody want 100 teams listed with no logical organization to the madness.

• Juan G. Jimenez commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What is Microsoft waiting for? Do these guys really think projects can be easily managed and archived just using a 2-level hierarchy (teams and channels)

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same here. We have Teams for Customers, Projects, with and without external participants etc. A way to categorize them would be highly appreciated.

As teams continue to proliferate, this is becoming necessary for business areas to manage projects.

• Nigel Jones commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

To operate my module with multiple teams within a series of classes, I need to be able to appropriately list the teams. Currently I do this all teams start with a 6 digit module code, each module has 10-15 teams with different memberships. This could help those requesting teams within teams. Yesterday we asked about next and realised the teams need to stay accessible for year after the students complete the programme, but we need to code the teams to reflect the module and year before the name students created.

I agree. This feature would make Teams much easier to use and manage. Right now it borders on unmanageable once you have more than 10 Teams. It isn't feasible to stay below 10 teams in cross functional groups.

I would love to see this feature. Beyond adding a complex naming standard, there are very few ways to keep track of every team

I foresee a future where we literally have hundreds of Teams, so splitting these teams into catagories would make it much easier to manage them.

This should be an easy feature to implement and it should not impact existing functionality.

• Tracy Reiss commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any update? this makes it difficult to have any more than 10-15 teams. Minimally let us sort. seems so simple to be out here this long.

• Steve commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why isn't thins done yet?? This is over two years old and something that is desperately needed. I am going back to Slack.

• Heather Halter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please add more grouping options! I have so many teams... for example, I'm thinking of how I can group projects from 2018, like an archiving feature. But I need to maintain easy access to the conten. Please add some kind of folder structure or grouping mechanism. Would also like to be able to have private channels under a team (like Slack). As a manager, it would greatly cut down on the number of Teams I have.

• Jay Cress commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The implementation you have created makes the user unable to control the content in their Teams interface which quickly leads to an overload of Teams with no grouping. If this isn't corrected I see no value in the long run for this product.

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base