Improve chat history search
It looks like those designing the Chat are not really using it. Searching the chat history is still an awful experience:
1. When you are in a conversation with a person and want to search for something, you want BY DEFAULT the results from the conversation with THAT person. But no, the smart designer of Chat was thinking to flood you first with a lot of results and then to ask you for few additional clicks to filter what you need...
Please change the default to show the results for the current conversation or add another quick find or provide an option to setup the default.
2. After you spend time filtering the results, someone had the "great idea" to limit the number of the results displayed. Really? So I know that the discussion is there but I'm not allowed to reach it other than scrolling manually few months back?
Please remove the limit of the number of the displayed results.
3. When you click on a found result, the conversation window it is showing only that sentence and the brilliant message: "Go to the channel to see the rest" :)))) And you click that only to discover that you need to scroll manually few months back :))))
Please jump directly to the day/hour of a found result and display the surrounding text.
4. It is not enough that you are limited regarding the number of the displayed results, but the Date range filter does not let you to select a custom time interval, for example: 1/1/2017 - 1/15/2017. You can select only "This year" and then it doesn't show you all the results :)))
5. Scrolling back through chat history it is terrible. You cannot jump easily to a previous week or month and you have to wait patiently until all the intermediary text is loading. Page Up stops working after a slower load of text and you need to click in window to make it work again.
Sorry for the angry tone, but I have a very hard time finding a lot of info I need. It is a pain to find fast and easy
Thank you for your continued feedback, we have addressed #1 in the list above. Contextual search within a specific chat or channel is now available. To learn more, please visit https://support.microsoft.com/office/search-for-messages-and-more-in-teams-4a351520-33f4-42ab-a5ee-5fc0ab88b263.
The feature team continues to make progress on these asks, and we will share an update when one is available.
Because going back in chat or channel history is painfully slow, and because jumping directly to a found search result does not work, at least implement the ability to navigate by date or month. Something like: "Go to previous day" or "Go to previous month"
Agree with HD, no need for the passive agressive tone of the idea but agree with pretty much all of the users points.
1) Search should default to search within the chat/channel you are currently in, should be an option to search "everything".
2) There should be a much higher limit on the number of results in searches - should only require you to be more specific if there are hundreds (if not thousands) of results.
3) As others have mentioned below, this is the biggest issue with the search. Rarely do I find the necessary message within the results of my search, but instead I will find a chat right before or after the one I am looking for. As such, users should be able to jump to that place in the chat history to quickly see all surrounding messages.
4) The date range filter should be changed to specific date range rather than "yesterday, last week, last year, etc.".
5) Slack also has the same slowness when scrolling up through historical messages, though their more efficient search function makes this less of an issue. If you resolve the search function issues then #5 shouldn't be a problem.
I agree with the points the poster of this idea makes, though I'm not sure I agree with his passive-aggressive tone....
Thanks for all the work you guys have done so far but could you please reconsider the design and functionality of the search function in chat?
I think it would be most helpful if there was a search bar within each chat so that way you can singularly search the conversation history of the chat that you have open rather than the entirety of your chat history with any user.
Dominic Couture commented
I'll join the others and say that #3 is the major pain point for me.
Justin Marshall commented
#3 is definitely a huge problem, skype, skype for business and outlook do this well but its almost impossible to find important conversations in teams. it would b enice if the search result showed the entire convesration thread that included the search match, not just the single message.
I agree!! #3 is the worse why can't the search in Teams work like how Outlook does! With Outlook I can always find what I need within my first search
The ridiculous "Go to Chat/Channel to see the rest" does not even work! might as well not put that there in the first place. Oh and wait! I can only see ONE LINE of text on the right with no context about the conversation, so whats the point of me searching??
Especially #3. I haven't been using Teams long enough for the others to be a huge concern yet, but I can easily see them on the horizon.