Improve chat history search
It looks like those designing the Chat are not really using it. Searching the chat history is still an awful experience:
1. When you are in a conversation with a person and want to search for something, you want BY DEFAULT the results from the conversation with THAT person. But no, the smart designer of Chat was thinking to flood you first with a lot of results and then to ask you for few additional clicks to filter what you need...
Please change the default to show the results for the current conversation or add another quick find or provide an option to setup the default.
2. After you spend time filtering the results, someone had the "great idea" to limit the number of the results displayed. Really? So I know that the discussion is there but I'm not allowed to reach it other than scrolling manually few months back?
Please remove the limit of the number of the displayed results.
3. When you click on a found result, the conversation window it is showing only that sentence and the brilliant message: "Go to the channel to see the rest" :)))) And you click that only to discover that you need to scroll manually few months back :))))
Please jump directly to the day/hour of a found result and display the surrounding text.
4. It is not enough that you are limited regarding the number of the displayed results, but the Date range filter does not let you to select a custom time interval, for example: 1/1/2017 - 1/15/2017. You can select only "This year" and then it doesn't show you all the results :)))
5. Scrolling back through chat history it is terrible. You cannot jump easily to a previous week or month and you have to wait patiently until all the intermediary text is loading. Page Up stops working after a slower load of text and you need to click in window to make it work again.
Sorry for the angry tone, but I have a very hard time finding a lot of info I need. It is a pain to find fast and easy
Thank you for your continued feedback, we have addressed #1 in the list above. Contextual search within a specific chat or channel is now available. To learn more, please visit https://support.microsoft.com/office/search-for-messages-and-more-in-teams-4a351520-33f4-42ab-a5ee-5fc0ab88b263.
The feature team continues to make progress on these asks, and we will share an update when one is available.
I feel your pain, these are all valid issues that make make Teams frustrating to use. I've been fighting off requests to move our team to other chat apps... makes it hard when other apps already have these issues ironed out.
Please fix No 5 (and No 3) ASAP! Scrolling through months of conversations whilst waiting for each message to load is terrible. Make one want to go back to using e-mail.
Guillaume Lecomte commented
Agree with all points, and put a big priority on #3. Sorry but it's embarrassing to not support that use case, it's probably in top 3 things you should test before considering a search feature ready for release.
I used that a lot in skype and i can't get the information i need in teams. I am an MSFT consultant and use teams remotely. however at the end of each day or week I need to submit my time on projects. In skype, I could see my conversations by day, but it wasn't always the best. It would be fabulous if the time you spend in a meeting or on a phone call updated the outlook calendar. In addition, to be able to search by history or look at all events for one day, like I can on my cell phone lets me know how much time I have spent with who on that day or whatever time period I choose. There just has to be an easier way and I don't see many IM's that do this. Even in go to meeting, I could see what my historical meetings were. Help!
jacob grice commented
It would be great to be able to see a full list of all chats rather than just the 'recent view'... i know you can search and find older chats but i need to be able to scroll through for reference and see all conversations, not just the most recent.
Brian Whitton commented
I just found out that #3 works in the online https://teams.microsoft.com so that's an ok solution for now. It does make me wonder how it hasn't found its way into the app yet though...
Miquel Adrover commented
All point are valid, but #3 is indeed the biggest pain point.
Came in to Uservoice to report mostly #3 but agree that all the issues are valid. Also this is a good argument for threads within a person to person chat.
Because going back in chat or channel history is painfully slow, and because jumping directly to a found search result does not work, at least implement the ability to navigate by date or month. Something like: "Go to previous day" or "Go to previous month"
Agree with HD, no need for the passive agressive tone of the idea but agree with pretty much all of the users points.
1) Search should default to search within the chat/channel you are currently in, should be an option to search "everything".
2) There should be a much higher limit on the number of results in searches - should only require you to be more specific if there are hundreds (if not thousands) of results.
3) As others have mentioned below, this is the biggest issue with the search. Rarely do I find the necessary message within the results of my search, but instead I will find a chat right before or after the one I am looking for. As such, users should be able to jump to that place in the chat history to quickly see all surrounding messages.
4) The date range filter should be changed to specific date range rather than "yesterday, last week, last year, etc.".
5) Slack also has the same slowness when scrolling up through historical messages, though their more efficient search function makes this less of an issue. If you resolve the search function issues then #5 shouldn't be a problem.
I agree with the points the poster of this idea makes, though I'm not sure I agree with his passive-aggressive tone....
Thanks for all the work you guys have done so far but could you please reconsider the design and functionality of the search function in chat?
I think it would be most helpful if there was a search bar within each chat so that way you can singularly search the conversation history of the chat that you have open rather than the entirety of your chat history with any user.
Dominic Couture commented
I'll join the others and say that #3 is the major pain point for me.
Justin Marshall commented
#3 is definitely a huge problem, skype, skype for business and outlook do this well but its almost impossible to find important conversations in teams. it would b enice if the search result showed the entire convesration thread that included the search match, not just the single message.
I agree!! #3 is the worse why can't the search in Teams work like how Outlook does! With Outlook I can always find what I need within my first search
The ridiculous "Go to Chat/Channel to see the rest" does not even work! might as well not put that there in the first place. Oh and wait! I can only see ONE LINE of text on the right with no context about the conversation, so whats the point of me searching??
Especially #3. I haven't been using Teams long enough for the others to be a huge concern yet, but I can easily see them on the horizon.