Improve chat history search
It looks like those designing the Chat are not really using it. Searching the chat history is still an awful experience:
1. When you are in a conversation with a person and want to search for something, you want BY DEFAULT the results from the conversation with THAT person. But no, the smart designer of Chat was thinking to flood you first with a lot of results and then to ask you for few additional clicks to filter what you need...
Please change the default to show the results for the current conversation or add another quick find or provide an option to setup the default.
2. After you spend time filtering the results, someone had the "great idea" to limit the number of the results displayed. Really? So I know that the discussion is there but I'm not allowed to reach it other than scrolling manually few months back?
Please remove the limit of the number of the displayed results.
3. When you click on a found result, the conversation window it is showing only that sentence and the brilliant message: "Go to the channel to see the rest" :)))) And you click that only to discover that you need to scroll manually few months back :))))
Please jump directly to the day/hour of a found result and display the surrounding text.
4. It is not enough that you are limited regarding the number of the displayed results, but the Date range filter does not let you to select a custom time interval, for example: 1/1/2017 - 1/15/2017. You can select only "This year" and then it doesn't show you all the results :)))
5. Scrolling back through chat history it is terrible. You cannot jump easily to a previous week or month and you have to wait patiently until all the intermediary text is loading. Page Up stops working after a slower load of text and you need to click in window to make it work again.
Sorry for the angry tone, but I have a very hard time finding a lot of info I need. It is a pain to find fast and easy
Thank you for your continued feedback, we have addressed #1 in the list above. Contextual search within a specific chat or channel is now available. To learn more, please visit https://support.microsoft.com/office/search-for-messages-and-more-in-teams-4a351520-33f4-42ab-a5ee-5fc0ab88b263.
The feature team continues to make progress on these asks, and we will share an update when one is available.
Zig Mandel commented
two years later, a basic feature might get implemented. Its so frustrating to constantly encounter super basic UX issues terribly handled by Microsoft products.
Any update? Our team is transitioning from Slack to Teams. This is unacceptable. If we get enough end user complaints, we may have to dump MS Teams and stick with Slack.
Searching in chat history should support fuzzy matching (similar to searching in Bing). It should be possible to search in a chat with a specific user, or in a specific group / channel.
Further, results should include the date and time of the messages. This is important to find information when you know approximately when the conversation took place.
It should be also possible to filter chat history by date, and navigate to chat sections within a range of time.
The request reached the backlog a year ago and work on this feature has started more than half a year ago. Could you please provide some ETA on when should this feature be available?
Alex Bassermann commented
at least in skype you could search the conversation in outlook or by opening chat log files and use CTRL +F to look for some specific text or day.
Teams is a stopper and make works much harder especially for office users
This is just one of many areas where Teams fails horrible.
I always wonder if someone really, actually sat there, looked at it and said: 'yup, thats good, lets do it this way'... and its not only the search feature - like with so many other things that are broken it makes me feel like noone on the development team ever wasted a thought on usability. Or speed.
this is an area where teams fails, makes history unusable.
I found a workaround by marking the result as "saved" and then selecting it from the list of saved messages, that makes the chat feed jump in context… HTH
Would by nice to have save behaviour when clicking on the message on search results page!
The message history search is very slow and not accurate
This chat search desperately needs improved. Now that we've rolled Teams out as an organization and told everyone the chat is kept indefinitely, turns out it's nearly impossible to search for and browse to the section of chat history you want to review. The loading of the history is extremely slow and the endless scrolling to get where you need to be is not at all acceptable.
isn't there an 'F' key (F1, F2, F3, etc) that allows your to search any and all logs???
I saw it about a month or so ago and can't find it...
Thanks for your efforts
I spent 30 minutes just to scroll from july to january. Imagine that!
This is bad, already july and still no updates
(Is it possible to write a bot that responds to a "list recent meetings" message with, well, a list of recent meetings?)
No possibility to search by history, no possibility to select and copy set of messages, no possibility to open a few windows e. g. Video call and chat with other people
I just saw that this was backlogged and I am sad to see that. The #3 issue that is listed in the main post here is our biggest issue in moving forward with Teams as a company. Anything we try to share in channels is then extremely difficult to search for later (well we can find it, but as # 3 suggests it takes manual scrolling, and in some cases through months of chats). This has been our #1 frustration and is also causing us to find alternative options for team sharing and communication.
This is the most important thing for any soft which has the aim to organize conversations. Without possibility to search throw the messages and an easy way to jump to required place of the dialogue it becomes useless. Please, take it into consideration. Many thanks.
Absolutely agree with #2 and everything in general. For Microsoft to claim that Teams has "chat history" is them being disingenuous. Yeah, there's a chat history, it's just barely functional. Being unable to jump to the message in the search results is literally the worst part of Teams.
Searching chat history, possibility to jump to selected/filtered result.
The search today is not very useful, i.e. if not all information is in the same post as the searched phrase. Most ofthen you rember talking about something, but also need to read the related chat posts, i.e. not only the post with the exact search phrase.
Add possibility to jump to a post in search result and see the chat post in chat thread context.
Steve P commented
If the dev team dog fooded their own product, then these features would be in there.