Improve chat history search
It looks like those designing the Chat are not really using it. Searching the chat history is still an awful experience:
1. When you are in a conversation with a person and want to search for something, you want BY DEFAULT the results from the conversation with THAT person. But no, the smart designer of Chat was thinking to flood you first with a lot of results and then to ask you for few additional clicks to filter what you need...
Please change the default to show the results for the current conversation or add another quick find or provide an option to setup the default.
2. After you spend time filtering the results, someone had the "great idea" to limit the number of the results displayed. Really? So I know that the discussion is there but I'm not allowed to reach it other than scrolling manually few months back?
Please remove the limit of the number of the displayed results.
3. When you click on a found result, the conversation window it is showing only that sentence and the brilliant message: "Go to the channel to see the rest" :)))) And you click that only to discover that you need to scroll manually few months back :))))
Please jump directly to the day/hour of a found result and display the surrounding text.
4. It is not enough that you are limited regarding the number of the displayed results, but the Date range filter does not let you to select a custom time interval, for example: 1/1/2017 - 1/15/2017. You can select only "This year" and then it doesn't show you all the results :)))
5. Scrolling back through chat history it is terrible. You cannot jump easily to a previous week or month and you have to wait patiently until all the intermediary text is loading. Page Up stops working after a slower load of text and you need to click in window to make it work again.
Sorry for the angry tone, but I have a very hard time finding a lot of info I need. It is a pain to find fast and easy
This feature request has now moved to “working on it”. The team is actively working on this request and I will share more details as they become available.
I found a workaround by marking the result as "saved" and then selecting it from the list of saved messages, that makes the chat feed jump in context… HTH
Would by nice to have save behaviour when clicking on the message on search results page!
The message history search is very slow and not accurate
This chat search desperately needs improved. Now that we've rolled Teams out as an organization and told everyone the chat is kept indefinitely, turns out it's nearly impossible to search for and browse to the section of chat history you want to review. The loading of the history is extremely slow and the endless scrolling to get where you need to be is not at all acceptable.
isn't there an 'F' key (F1, F2, F3, etc) that allows your to search any and all logs???
I saw it about a month or so ago and can't find it...
Thanks for your efforts
I spent 30 minutes just to scroll from july to january. Imagine that!
This is bad, already july and still no updates
(Is it possible to write a bot that responds to a "list recent meetings" message with, well, a list of recent meetings?)
No possibility to search by history, no possibility to select and copy set of messages, no possibility to open a few windows e. g. Video call and chat with other people
I just saw that this was backlogged and I am sad to see that. The #3 issue that is listed in the main post here is our biggest issue in moving forward with Teams as a company. Anything we try to share in channels is then extremely difficult to search for later (well we can find it, but as # 3 suggests it takes manual scrolling, and in some cases through months of chats). This has been our #1 frustration and is also causing us to find alternative options for team sharing and communication.
This is the most important thing for any soft which has the aim to organize conversations. Without possibility to search throw the messages and an easy way to jump to required place of the dialogue it becomes useless. Please, take it into consideration. Many thanks.
Absolutely agree with #2 and everything in general. For Microsoft to claim that Teams has "chat history" is them being disingenuous. Yeah, there's a chat history, it's just barely functional. Being unable to jump to the message in the search results is literally the worst part of Teams.
Searching chat history, possibility to jump to selected/filtered result.
The search today is not very useful, i.e. if not all information is in the same post as the searched phrase. Most ofthen you rember talking about something, but also need to read the related chat posts, i.e. not only the post with the exact search phrase.
Add possibility to jump to a post in search result and see the chat post in chat thread context.
Steve P commented
If the dev team dog fooded their own product, then these features would be in there.
I feel your pain, these are all valid issues that make make Teams frustrating to use. I've been fighting off requests to move our team to other chat apps... makes it hard when other apps already have these issues ironed out.
Please fix No 5 (and No 3) ASAP! Scrolling through months of conversations whilst waiting for each message to load is terrible. Make one want to go back to using e-mail.
Guillaume Lecomte commented
Agree with all points, and put a big priority on #3. Sorry but it's embarrassing to not support that use case, it's probably in top 3 things you should test before considering a search feature ready for release.
I used that a lot in skype and i can't get the information i need in teams. I am an MSFT consultant and use teams remotely. however at the end of each day or week I need to submit my time on projects. In skype, I could see my conversations by day, but it wasn't always the best. It would be fabulous if the time you spend in a meeting or on a phone call updated the outlook calendar. In addition, to be able to search by history or look at all events for one day, like I can on my cell phone lets me know how much time I have spent with who on that day or whatever time period I choose. There just has to be an easier way and I don't see many IM's that do this. Even in go to meeting, I could see what my historical meetings were. Help!
jacob grice commented
It would be great to be able to see a full list of all chats rather than just the 'recent view'... i know you can search and find older chats but i need to be able to scroll through for reference and see all conversations, not just the most recent.
Brian Whitton commented
I just found out that #3 works in the online https://teams.microsoft.com so that's an ok solution for now. It does make me wonder how it hasn't found its way into the app yet though...
Miquel Adrover commented
All point are valid, but #3 is indeed the biggest pain point.